Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

estimated bill almost double the normal.

Options
  • 17-11-2015 8:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭

Hi there
    My estimated bill was almost twice what it is normally.
    Normally it is around 200e but this bill was over 400 (and that is with a 50e discount)
    In the previous 18 month with EI - my max bill was once 325euro but otherwise never over 225

I rang the customer service line and the lady was very polite but essentially not too helpful. She suggested that I ring ESB Networks to query the estimate. This was unacceptable to me as my agreement is with EI not with ESB.

Anyway after much badgering she asked a colleague if I could lodge a query and I was able to do this.
    However it will be 10 days before I get a response. I'm down 200e now in the meantime.

I'd like to see if you guys could answer me quicker and bring this matter to your attention.
    I could stomach this if it was a reading but its' an estimate which doesn't appear to adhere to IE own rules for estimates.

IE state that estimates are based on previous bills - when I pointed out that the bill was very much in excess of my previous bills the operator agreed but was ultimately unable to answer any questions on the process. It wasn't an enlightening experience to be honest.

Can anybody be of assistance?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭Electric Ireland: Brige N

Hi arayess,

We're sorry to read of your unhappiness.

Estimated readings are based on a number of factors, including previously read bills, the particular time of year, and other details determined by ESB Networks. These readings are then provided to all suppliers, including Electric Ireland, in order to generate a bill.

If you would like to us to look into this particular bill for you here on Boards could you please send us a private message with the following information?
    • Your full name
    • Your account number
    • The first line of your address
    • Your contact number or date of birth
    • Confirmation you are the account holder (a sentence stating this is sufficient)
    • An accurate meter reading taken from your property
    We can then investigate your query.

Thanks,
    Brige

________

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭arayess

Hi arayess,

We're sorry to read of your unhappiness.

Estimated readings are based on a number of factors, including previously read bills, the particular time of year, and other details determined by ESB Networks. These readings are then provided to all suppliers, including Electric Ireland, in order to generate a bill.

If you would like to us to look into this particular bill for you here on Boards could you please send us a private message with the following information?
    • Your full name
    • Your account number
    • The first line of your address
    • Your contact number or date of birth
    • Confirmation you are the account holder (a sentence stating this is sufficient)
    • An accurate meter reading taken from your property

[*]
    We can then investigate your query.

Thanks,
    Brige

________
    [*]
    many thanks for your response. 
    I am not at home at the moment so I'll do this later.

However i am taken aback by the part of your response where you ask me for a meter reading. this bill was an estimate - the meter reading is irrelevant.
    My concern is about the estimate process in particular there appears to be nobody in IE who can tell me the process.
    Your response itself indicates " other details determined by ESB Networks" which is fairly wishy washy to be frank . It opens the door to - well we made up your bill.
    As a consumer am i not entitled to know the process?

Regards

• Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭Electric Ireland: Brige N

Hi arayess,

Thanks for advising that you will provide the required details later.

Regarding the meter reading, this was requested in order to generate an new bill. If an actual reading is provided directly to Electric Ireland we can submit this to ESB Networks and generate an accurate bill. Should this bill show that you in fact owe less money to Electric Ireland then the previous bill outlined for this billing period, then any credit due to you will be applied directly to your Electric Ireland account.

Meter readings, including estimated readings, are provided to all energy suppliers by ESB Networks. Electric Ireland cannot comment on the process used to generate those readings as we have no hand in creating them. ESB Networks base these readings on previous usage patterns, but this does not necessarily mean that they will be based on your most recent energy consumption. If you would like to discuss the reading estimation policy further with ESB Networks their contact details can be found here.

If you have any other questions please let us know.

Thanks,
    Brige

________

Hi arayess,

Thanks for advising that you will provide the required details later.

Regarding the meter reading, this was requested in order to generate an new bill. If an actual reading is provided directly to Electric Ireland we can submit this to ESB Networks and generate an accurate bill. Should this bill show that you in fact owe less money to Electric Ireland then the previous bill outlined for this billing period, then any credit due to you will be applied directly to your Electric Ireland account.

Meter readings, including estimated readings, are provided to all energy suppliers by ESB Networks. Electric Ireland cannot comment on the process used to generate those readings as we have no hand in creating them. ESB Networks base these readings on previous usage patterns, but this does not necessarily mean that they will be based on your most recent energy consumption. If you would like to discuss the reading estimation policy further with ESB Networks their contact details can be found here.

If you have any other questions please let us know.

Thanks,
    Brige

________
    thanks for the response.
    You are falling into the same mantra as your colleague last night.
    I have a contract with EI not with ESB Networks. It's isn't correct for EI to ask me to talk to ESB Networks as I've no relationship with them . 
    In fact I find it lazy policy , to be frank , to tell me a customer that EI can't tell me how my bill (which EI issue ) is calculated and to go to talk to a 3rd party.
    EI issue the bill so it's logical they are responsible for it 

I understand why you ask for the meter reading but my comments are related to the estimates and the spike that has occurred in mine.
    I'm fully aware that a meter reading will balance things out but that's not really the point of my comment.

Anyway i'll revert tonight

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Electric Ireland: Una

Hi arayess,

Sorry to read of your unhappiness.

ESB Networks maintain the electricity network on behalf of all suppliers (an MPRN's electricity meter would be part of the network also - all usage meters are the property of ESB Networks).

ESB Networks aim to read the meter (subject to accessibility) for four out of the six annual scheduled bills, for all customers of all electricity providers. When Networks do not read the meter, an estimated bill is generated. If an estimate is very different to usage patterns, it could be because of the time of year, severe weather conditions or usage at that MPRN by a previous tenant.

When a bill is estimated, we urge customers to submit a meter-reading to correct the estimated bill as soon as possible (particularly if they pay by direct debit, to allow time to prevent collection of the estimated bill) and to prevent over-payment or under-payment (the latter can result in a "catch-up" bill later on when the meter is read again). As well as through our website, meter-readings can be submitted by private message on any of our social media channels.

We are here on Boards (and other social media) until 6pm Monday to Friday (excluding public holidays). ESB Networks are not on Boards but they are on Twitter.

Kind regards,
    Una

• Advertisement

hi there
    just to clarify I had a detailed phone conversation with a customer service person in complaints department.
    my query was answered not wholly to my satisfaction but enough not to waste any time on the matter .

Thanks for your time.

Hi arayess,

Sorry to read of your unhappiness.

ESB Networks maintain the electricity network on behalf of all suppliers (an MPRN's electricity meter would be part of the network also - all usage meters are the property of ESB Networks).

ESB Networks aim to read the meter (subject to accessibility) for four out of the six annual scheduled bills, for all customers of all electricity providers. When Networks do not read the meter, an estimated bill is generated. If an estimate is very different to usage patterns, it could be because of the time of year, severe weather conditions or usage at that MPRN by a previous tenant.

When a bill is estimated, we urge customers to submit a meter-reading to correct the estimated bill as soon as possible (particularly if they pay by direct debit, to allow time to prevent collection of the estimated bill) and to prevent over-payment or under-payment (the latter can result in a "catch-up" bill later on when the meter is read again). As well as through our website, meter-readings can be submitted by private message on any of our social media channels.

We are here on Boards (and other social media) until 6pm Monday to Friday (excluding public holidays). ESB Networks are not on Boards but they are on Twitter.

Kind regards,
    Una

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Electric Ireland: Una

Hi again arayess,

We are happy to advise - thanks for your update.

Kind regards,
    Una

________

Advertisement