Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Qualifications for Primary Teaching.

Options
  • 17-11-2015 8:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18

I was hoping someone here might be in the same situation as me or has been in the past. I keep being sent back and forth between places and a little unsure of what to do.

I'm hoping to do a Masters in Primary education with Hibernia. It's just my qualifications and credits add up to level 8 which is the equivalent of a BA hons, so I think. I have a pass degree, level 7, then have also completed a higher Diploma that brings me to level 8 on national qualifications....which is the equivalent of BA hons? Or do I need a BA hons degree. I'm told the equivalent , so will this do ? If I have sufficient or equal credits but not a parchment that says BA hons ?

I have also been told about prior experience that might help, as I have been teaching ESl for 7 years in the teaching environment to that age group. I'm currently studying Irish in night classes and along with my teaching work do a CE scheme where I do work experience in a primary school. Who do I speak with about prior experience .?

If the level 8 higher diploma and degree is not sufficient and I need a level 8 BA hons is there a way I can do some study to make this happen that doesn't mean going back to college full time ?

I'd appreciate any help.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

You need to be aware of the chronic shortage of primary jobs, even part time subbing. Can you get by on 2 days a week pay?There are already hundreds of experienced primary teachers out there with whom you will be competing for jobs. Consider also the huge cuts coming down the line in special ed. which means more unemployed teachers.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 thebignoize

Thanks. I have considered all this, however, I have a positive approach to life and my heart set on it. If you can help me with any of the above queries, that would be great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

It's really the Teaching Council who you would need to get on to as they would have the final say (more so than any college I would think!)

Advertisement