Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice for Beginner

Options
  • 17-11-2015 9:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭

Hello there, I'm a radio student from Kerry, 24 years old. I have been interested in learning French for the past or so, but didn't know how to go about it. So now I'm hoping to get some advice on how to go about learning French. One question I'd like to have answered is what are the best sites on the internet to help me achieve my aims? Also if I there is a French speaker in the Tralee area to help me to immerse myself in the language as much as possible please get in touch so that we may get some sort of a plan hammered out.
    Merci...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18 MidlandBlowin

Radio student in RK or the IT? Eitherway the French students might be a good start! and if you're in RK I believe 50% if not more of the students living across the way from RK are French :P

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Bigfellalixnaw

Radio Course run by Radio Kerry/Kerry ETB, much better than what the IT has to offer btw. You wouldn't know of any particular group in the Tralee area that I could contact? It'd be a bit strange to approach a bunch of students who more than likely couldn't give two f*cks about you.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭AvyStreet

1 to 1 lessons are available over Skype with italki.

Start with Michel Thomas sets.
    Maybe a linguaphone set to consolidate.
    Try your library.

Various podcast at different levels can be found online. ITunes is good for finding them.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Bergmann

Have you tried the Duolingo app? A really good starting point for beginners, I have started using it for Spanish

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Colsin91

I think that you should engage in language exchanges with French students. Take every opportunity to speak French. You could perhaps try to get a summer job in France? Initially, learning a language is a slog. The book Succès Au Brevet as a good book. You will need to learn the basics. When you have grasped the basics, read magazines or lemonde online or in print. Translate the words that you don't know. I also would recommend initially watching French films with English subtitles. When you feel a little more confident, watch with French subtitles and eventually no subtitles. Practice, practice, praxtice. And do not worry about making lots of mistakes, it is only by making the mistakes that you will learn and become a proficient French speaker.

• Advertisement
Advertisement