Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car Incident Query

Options
  • 17-11-2015 10:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

So last week I was in a small car accident. Basically, I was driving up to a roundabout, car in front stopped, I attempted to stop but the car slid and hit the back of the car in front. Got out to talk to the driver infront and to check damage. There was no damage done to my own car but the bumper was shoved in and out in his car. No dent but paint came off in a small area. We checked his bumper and it was slightly loose so he explained that he wanted to make sure it was secure and wouldnt come off.

He told me he wouldnt need it put through insurance but he said he wanted to get it fixed and I'd have to pay which I was fine with. We exchanged details and I am waiting for him to call me this week with a quote. He was driving a 03 Nissan. No guards were called but he did take my insurance details incase I did not pay for the damage.

I am just wondering, what are my rights in this situation? Do I have a say in what mechanic looks at his car and am I entitled to see a receipt for the work done? He told me he wouldn't screw me over he just wanted to make sure his bumber wouldn't come off while he was driving.

I don't want him to go claiming for personal injury or anything else. What are my options here? Could he still claim or what? Also how much would it comes to get his bumper fixed or repaired does anyone know?

Any help would be really appreciated here!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Granted that he's been good enough to not go through insurance, I'd consider yourself lucky. You have no rights in this situation unless you agreed to get a few quotes and that you had some prior agreement in place for choosing who to go with, at the end of the day, its his car and he's entitled to have it repaired in a manner he see's fit. The difference in price, if he decided to screw you, would be the same the insurance company will hike you by next year. So its case equal in terms of getting possibly screwed.

What I would however do is sign off on the repair and close the matter. You could have a knock on your door in a few months about back pain and time off work, you'll then we rightly up the creek. If any funny business starts, I'd go via the insurance. Plenty of chancers out there. I'd almost say unless they are really amicale, I'd go via the insurance company.

Price wise, piece of string. Could be €200, could be €500.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

DaithiW wrote: »
    What are my options here? Could he still claim or what? Also how much would it comes to get his bumper fixed or repaired does anyone know?

Any help would be really appreciated here!

Of course he can. There's nothing you can do except leave it to the insurance company to deal with if he does decide to claim. It's also possible that a decent rear end shunt could see a 03 nissan written off due to structural damage behind the bumper.

You're entirely at fault so all you can do is wait and see what the bill comes to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭To Elland Back

He has the right to get his vehicle repaired to a standard he is happy with and wherever he wants. You have no say in that. If you are not happy with the estimate, let your insurers investigate it through their experts and leave them to it. You can always repay your insurers at the end of the day to keep your NCB intact.

Basically, for a rear end, the other party dictates the outcome

ironclaw wrote: »

What I would however do is sign off on the repair and close the matter. You could have a knock on your door in a few months about back pain and time off work, you'll then we rightly up the creek.

Absolutely nothing to stop him doing that up to 2 years after the accident, no matter what he signs

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

You don't have much say in who he deals with or the quotes he gets. In fact he is entitled to be compensated for the damage even if he doesn't bother fixing the car.
    BTW, you should promptly inform your insurer of the incident (it's normally in the T&Cs) in case everything goes sour. If you don't tell them it could be difficult for you if claims are made later and your insurer has no record of your version of the incident.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭XR3i

you have the right not to tail-gate

anything you tail-gate can and will be held against you

• Registered Users Posts: 6 DaithiW

slimjimmc wrote: »
    You don't have much say in who he deals with or the quotes he gets. In fact he is entitled to be compensated for the damage even if he doesn't bother fixing the car.
    BTW, you should promptly inform your insurer of the incident (it's normally in the T&Cs) in case everything goes sour. If you don't tell them it could be difficult for you if claims are made later and your insurer has no record of your version of the incident.

The insurance would be in my fathers name, so if I inform the insurance company, would that mean I would have to make a claim from them?

What I would however do is sign off on the repair and close the matter. You could have a knock on your door in a few months about back pain and time off work, you'll then we rightly up the creek.

Is there any way I could have him sign off on the repair then to make sure he doesn't come to me again looking for more money? Even if I had a copy of the receipt from the repairs to verify the work is completed?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 DaithiW

slimjimmc wrote: »

The insurance would be in my fathers name, so if I inform the insurance company, would that mean I would have to make a claim from them?

Is there any way I could have him sign off on the repair then to make sure he doesn't come to me again looking for more money? Even if I had a copy of the receipt from the repairs to verify the work is completed?
    He has the right to get his vehicle repaired to a standard he is happy with and wherever he wants. You have no say in that. If you are not happy with the estimate, let your insurers investigate it through their experts and leave them to it. You can always repay your insurers at the end of the day to keep your NCB intact.

So if I put it through the Insurance, will my premium go up by much? Or can I claim from the insurance and simply pay them back to keep my NCB intact?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

If you pay the bill for the damage, your fathers insurance won't be affected.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,677 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

As above, you should inform your insurance company of the incident, but indicate that no claim is processing. They are cool with this, but want to know what happens. It covers you later if there is any followup.

As regards the work, you need him to sign a receipt for the money to cover the damage repair to the car. He may get a quote and ask you to pay him that amount, he does not actually have to get it fixed though, so you may never see an end receipt. It is important that he signs of on the payment to cover any damage to the car. You can't sign off on any personal injuries however, you just have to hope he is a genuine person.

• Advertisement

As the insurance is in your father's name, he is the person who needs to report it to his insurer. He should also have the satisfaction note made out in his name. Anything else and you'll raise a suspicion of fronting. Not saying it is, but claims handlers look out for things like that

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭AhHaor

I'd be tempted to go through your insurance company. Let them deal with it, they'll not be taken for a ride with prices etc, then once finished, you'll have option to pay them for the repair cost and have it wiped off the policy (this is the route I'd go).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

AhHaor wrote: »
    I'd be tempted to go through your insurance company. Let them deal with it, they'll not be taken for a ride with prices etc, then once finished, you'll have option to pay them for the repair cost and have it wiped off the policy (this is the route I'd go).

Can anyone attest to this? I'm curious as although the insurance company is not being affected financially, you have had an accident and hence your risk profile is changed. I can't see insurance being unaffected in this instance.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Can anyone attest to this? I'm curious as although the insurance company is not being affected financially, you have had an accident and hence your risk profile is changed. I can't see insurance being unaffected in this instance.
    There's a chance of a small increase in premium but I suspect not divulging a collision with another road user (which is usually contrary to the terms of the policy) is likely to have a larger impact on his risk profile should a claim come through.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,222 ✭✭✭✭biko

DaithiW wrote: »
    I don't want him to go claiming for personal injury or anything else.
    He is fully entitled to do this.

I would suggest you let your insurance company handle this one. They are professionals and you have paid a lot of money over the years for this very reason.

Advertisement