Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Library help: can someone help me with a huge favour

• 17-11-2015 10:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi there,

I'm in Canada, and I'm looking to read some stories from the collection "Fighting Words" by Roddy Doyle.

However, it costs nearly $3000 to buy, and is not available in any other format. Through some digging, I've found that TCD library has a copy in its collection. It is located in:

Early Printed Books Stacks (use call slip) OLS X-3-724

Would someone be willing to take a look, and maybe take a pic of the stories I'm interested in? I would really appreciate it! I'm not looking to distribute this or anything, I just can't access the stories in any other way. Message me if you can help.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 865 ✭✭✭Unshelved

Under Irish law it is illegal to copy more than 5% of a book - unless it is out of copyright.

Try applying for an inter-library loan of the book from your own local library.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,252 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

They do different editions of it with different schools. You'd have to specify which edition.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 bookishrequest

enda1 wrote: »
    Is this the book?

No, that is not the book.

I've tried an inter-library loan, but they will not transfer it, because the book is too valuable. I only really want to read one short story in the entire collection...sucks that I have to pay so much to do so.

There is only one edition of the book, and I have posted the info for the TCD library in the original post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Grolschevik

Roddy Doyle only wrote the foreword.

You might try the websites/publishers of the individual contributing authors to see if the particular story you're interested in is available elsewhere.
    Title: Fighting words / [foreword Roddy Doyle ; text Russell Banks ... [et al.] ; limited ed. print Sean Scully].
    Publisher: [Dublin] : Stoney Road Press, 2012.
    Description: 1 v. : col. ill. ; 37 cm.

Note: Limited edition of 150, signed by all contributors.
    TCD copy is no.23.

Text set in Abadi Condensed and Dolly Roman. Paper is BFK Rives Blanc 250 gsm, the endpapers are Hahnemühle Ingres 100 gsm. Printed by hand on a Swiss proofing press on loan from the National Print Museum, Dublin.

The etching, Blue, made for this book by Sean Scully, was printed by Burnet Editions, New York.
    The book and slipcase are bound in linen and library buckram by Antiquarian Bookcrafts, Dublin.
    Fighting Words is a writing centre for children and young people ... in Dublin founded by Roddy Doyle and Sean Love, 2009.

Contents :
    Foreword / Roddy Doyle
    Blue / Sean Scully
    The invisible parrot / Russell Banks
    The tentacles of Morpheus / John Banville
    Night / Richard Bausch
    Corpsing / Anne Enright
    An inside job / David Mitchell
    Returnes Iraqi War vet, Carthage, New York, May 2003 / Joyce Carol Oates
    A quick trip / Annie Proulx
    A globe of heaven / Salman Rushdie
    After the gunfight / Sam Shepard
    Rosslare Strand, July 1969 / Colm Tóibín.

• Advertisement

Roddy Doyle only wrote the foreword.

You might try the websites/publishers of the individual contributing authors to see if the particular story you're interested in is available elsewhere.

Yes, I'm very aware of what's in the book, and the exact specs. I've contacted the publishers and only the one edition with 150 copies exists, with no plans to make additional, cheaper editions. The story I'm interested in (the David Mitchell one) is not available anywhere else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

No, that is not the book.

I've tried an inter-library loan, but they will not transfer it, because the book is too valuable. I only really want to read one short story in the entire collection...sucks that I have to pay so much to do so.

There is only one edition of the book, and I have posted the info for the TCD library in the original post.

If you don't want help thanks fine. It's no attitude to have when people are trying to help you.

If you don't want help thanks fine. It's no attitude to have when people are trying to help you.

I'm sorry, but where did I have attitude there? I was just answering the questions given to me, from you and others. I apologize if I came off harsh..

The truth is, I've exhausted all avenues, and the only way for me to read the story is for someone to borrow it and take a look for me.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,252 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

The OP may believe that is the only book called 'Fighting words' that Roddy Doyle was connected with, but I happen to own one, that does not match the description given, but has the same title. I know of at least one other.

I agree with enda, any flexibility I might have had towards helping the OP has evaporated with their attitude.

spurious wrote: »
    The OP may believe that is the only book called 'Fighting words' that Roddy Doyle was connected with, but I happen to own one, that does not match the description given, but has the same title. I know of at least one other.

I agree with enda, any flexibility I might have had towards helping the OP has evaporated with their attitude.

I honestly was not trying to be a dick....The book that Grolschevik posted is the one that I'm looking for. I would have been more helpful in identifying it, but I cant post any links yet :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 984 ✭✭✭gutenberg

Early Printed Books both doesn't lend any of its collections, and won't allow readers to take photographs of material that is in copyright, so even if a TCD person was willing/able to get up there, they wouldn't be allowed to photograph the story, nor could they borrow the book and photograph it on the sly. EPB is used to house both very old books, and rare/valuable books - which this volume certainly seems to be.

EPB does offer a scanning service, but as Unshelved said you are still bound by copyright - details here- you could write to them directly and ask.

Advertisement