Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Self Defence Advice

• 17-11-2015 11:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone, had a look around the forum and I couldn't see anything like this. Please let me know if the thread could be merged or is against the charter.

I'm looking to take up some kind of self defence in Dublin city centre in the next while. I'm pretty much clueless on martial arts I'm afraid, and would greatly appreciate any advice.

I'm a girl, five foot nothing and slim build- not especially fit but could probably run in an emergency. Just wondering is there any particular sport you'd recommend for someone like me? I'd like to get fitter and I'm also attracted to the idea of having some kind of self defence as I feel a bit vulnerable at times in the city.

Am open to anything as long as classes not massively expensive or located too far out.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,621 ✭✭✭yomchi

ivytwine wrote: »
    Hi everyone, had a look around the forum and I couldn't see anything like this. Please let me know if the thread could be merged or is against the charter.

I'm looking to take up some kind of self defence in Dublin city centre in the next while. I'm pretty much clueless on martial arts I'm afraid, and would greatly appreciate any advice.

I'm a girl, five foot nothing and slim build- not especially fit but could probably run in an emergency. Just wondering is there any particular sport you'd recommend for someone like me? I'd like to get fitter and I'm also attracted to the idea of having some kind of self defence as I feel a bit vulnerable at times in the city.

Am open to anything as long as classes not massively expensive or located too far out.

Hi there,

There are plenty of sport martial arts that can provide you with the skills to better defend yourself if the need ever did arise. My back ground is in striking arts such as kickboxing/boxing and Taekwon-Do. All of these striking styles, especially those with an emphasis on competition will get you fit and focused.

Other guys here are from grapple/wrestling back grounds and they'll have good things to say about their styles too.

My advice is try out a few systems and see which one you enjoy the most. Try not to approach them with "which martial art is most effective for self defence" mentality as they all offer something. By training and enjoying your preferred option you will by default become more confident in your ability to handle a situation.

If you need advice on any Kickboxing clubs or ITF Taekwon-Do clubs in your area do let me know :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

"Which martail art is best for self defence"?

One that effectively mixes a variety of different styles.

Join an MMA club. You'll learn aspects of boxing, muay thai, wrestling, Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu and probably a little Karate and Taekwan-do depending on where you go.

Things to avoid:
    Krav Maga and any of these "combat" systems or "street defence" nonsense.

The most important thing to remember is this, if it's an option walk or run away, if they have a weapon, give them whatever they way, and only engage if it's your absolute last option.

And no matter that style you pick, nothing will help you if a group of more than a few attack you and you decide to stand your ground, this one of my major problems with certain "self defence systems" they tell these bull**** stories of being able to fight off 4 guys at once and fart in their mouths while keeping the others away. It's rubbish, if they worked every elite MMA fighter in the world would be doing rex-kwando or whatever other nonsense combative stuff is out there instead of Muay Thai, BJJ, Wrestling and Boxing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Go with Yomchi and try a few styles and clubs, whichever you enjoy most is the one for you.

Personally I'm Judo, BJJ with some MMA and (along time ago) kickboxing and each has something to offer.

I'm also working nightclub and bar doors for over twenty years and in my experience none of the above will prepare you for violence, it simply can not be replicated in a club/dojo environment.

Last on my list of recommends, the very last, would be Krav Maga. But that said if you try it and enjoy it, then go ahead and have a ball.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭SVJKarate

I'd like to get fitter and I'm also attracted to the idea of having some kind of self defence as I feel a bit vulnerable at times in the city.

SVJ Karate Club in Fairview offers traditional martial art training to help your fitness, flexibility and self-defence skills. Feel free to come along and try a few free classes to see if it's what you'd like.

Certainly MA training can help improve your confidence, but it would be misleading to think that a few classes in any art will turn you into a lethal fighter. Remember that the reason you feel vulnerable in the city is because you are vulnerable. Training in a martial art can help you in a conflict situation, but it guarantees nothing, and at the end of the day awareness and a willingness to flee are your best self-defence tools.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭ivytwine

Hi guys,

Sorry I meant to get back to this thread a long time ago, thanks so much for the replies.

I completely appreciate I won't be able to go full-Buffy on anyone, but I'd like to have some kind of reserve in case I do get attacked. Whatever about robbery, giving someone what they want isn't really an attractive option when it comes to other crimes!

Since I posted, I started attending a bootcamp through work, we do other things like kettlebells etc but the trainer does a fair bit of boxing and kickboxing, which I absolutely love! It's only been a few weeks but I can feel myself getting stronger and fitter; went out on Friday night and fitted into a dress that I couldn't get into before Christmas, so that's another huge plus!

I live a bit far out and don't have a lot of spare time at the moment, but I'm hopefully going to move soon a bit more centrally- if I'm nearer Fairview I'll def check out those free classes- might take up kickboxing in the summer when I'm finished college :)

Thanks again!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Zen65

I live a bit far out and don't have a lot of spare time at the moment, but I'm hopefully going to move soon a bit more centrally- if I'm nearer Fairview I'll def check out those free classes- might take up kickboxing in the summer when I'm finished college

Does your college not have a club you could train in (usually for a tiny fee)?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭ivytwine

Zen65 wrote: »
    Does your college not have a club you could train in (usually for a tiny fee)?

Ah no it's a private college, only part time!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭JustShon

Things to avoid:
    Krav Maga

As a complete layman when it comes to martial arts, I'm curious as to what's wrong with Krav Maga?

Advertisement