Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is the 'thanks' button really necessary?

Options
  • 17-11-2015 11:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭

I personally don't see the point of the 'thanks' button. I find that it can greatly influence the flow of a discussion and gives additional weight to certain posts/posters. Now I know that everyone should just read the post(s) and make there own minds up regarding the content and how they feel about it, but I feel that it can really affect latecomers to a thread in their opinion. As a result, threads often become a big rabble between two sides with little room for compromise or alternative/new opinions.

I think you should either have a downvote button to balance things out or just get rid of the whole thing altogether. My personal preference would be to do away with the system, as I think having a downvote button could possibly augment the problem.

Anyway, why is the thanks button there in the first place?
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,762 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

It's a very handy way for posters to communicate that they agree with a specific post rather than posting a generic "I agree with this" which would dilute discussions.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

As above, acknowledges when you're in agreement with someone, agree with a point, a me too, or a simple straightforward thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭eet fuk

I know what you mean, and I would much prefer it over that whole thing people do when they quote the post and write "+1" (wtf is the deal with that, seriously???)

I just think that people should agree with the posts either by backing up the argument with a point of their own, or just keep it to themselves. Why is there a need to show that world that you agree with something and then not actually contribute anything of your own. A lot of good points are never argued as a lot of posters have already made their minds up and just won't listen to anything else (it seems), purely based on a post with 60 odd 'thanks'.

It has also become a little bit similar to the facebook 'like' button, whereby people seem to post things just for the sake of getting a few thanks.

I realise that it is probably such an integral part of this site at this stage and changing it would result in the thread dilution that you refer to, so I hold out little hope that it will change.

Also, I'm not sure if those thanks on my OP are meant taking the mick, or if they agree with me! Argh, I'm so confused now!

Just some friendly feedback for y'all. Otherwise, ye're doing a great job!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,912 ✭✭✭✭Eeden

^^ This

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 607 ✭✭✭sonny.knowles

eet fuk wrote: »
    I know what you mean, and I would much prefer it over that whole thing people do when they quote the post and write "+1" (wtf is the deal with that, seriously???)

I just think that people should agree with the posts either by backing up the argument with a point of their own, or just keep it to themselves. Why is there a need to show that world that you agree with something and then not actually contribute anything of your own. A lot of good points are never argued as a lot of posters have already made their minds up and just won't listen to anything else (it seems), purely based on a post with 60 odd 'thanks'.

It has also become a little bit similar to the facebook 'like' button, whereby people seem to post things just for the sake of getting a few thanks.

I realise that it is probably such an integral part of this site at this stage and changing it would result in the thread dilution that you refer to, so I hold out little hope that it will change.

Also, I'm not sure if those thanks on my OP are meant taking the mick, or if they agree with me! Argh, I'm so confused now!

Just some friendly feedback for y'all. Otherwise, ye're doing a great job!

PS: The thanks above are taking the piss.

• Advertisement

Eeden wrote: »
    ^^ This

:D

Haha! That is right up there with the worst of them!

Don't get me wrong, that idea behind the thanks button is great. I just think it gets to a stage where it ruins discussions/arguments.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

+1

No wait -1

The thanks button can be whored outrageously (usually by Mods!) but it generally serves it's purpose esp if you do a good funneh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

It's a very handy way for posters to communicate that they agree with a specific post rather than posting a generic "I agree with this" which would dilute discussions.

I thank posts I disagree with sometimes, if the poster has made a good effort to put across their side.

I thank posts that make me laugh.

I thank trolls, especially if they are obvious ridiculous trolls.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,623 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

I thank trolls, especially if they are obvious ridiculous trolls.
    So do I :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

lol :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

+1

No wait -1

The thanks button can be whored outrageously (usually by Mods!) but it generally serves it's purpose esp if you do a good funneh.

I have no idea what you mean. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 20,433 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Cancelling them after a week or two or when the thread becomes inactive might discourage some of the thanks gathering and inane comments.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Brendan Flowers

I'd like to see something implemented where the person creating a thread had the option of enabling or disabling the Thanks button for that thread.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

kneemos wrote: »
    Cancelling them after a week or two or when the thread becomes inactive might discourage some of the thanks gathering and inane comments.

Seems rather pointless to time out thanks, there's no real benefit to doing so

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

These threads are less frequent than cyclist-bashing ones in AH - it's over 6 months since the last one:)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,712 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

eet fuk wrote:

Because on some forums that don't allow discussion, such as Ranting and Raving, thanking a post is the only way to show you agree with it/have been there too/appreciated a particularly funny or epic rant.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,221 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Some forums run competitions where the winner is the most thanked post. I know the photoshop competition in CPVL runs that way and I think the photography forum as something similar?

I'll usually peruse through the most thanked posts via the front page, and while you have the usual thanks whore and YLYL posts, you get some cracking OPs, rebuttals, anecdotes and other great reads. It has its faults but I like the thanks system.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,762 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Some forums run competitions where the winner is the most thanked post. I know the photoshop competition in CPVL runs that way and I think the photography forum as something similar?

I'll usually peruse through the most thanked posts via the front page, and while you have the usual thanks whore and YLYL posts, you get some cracking OPs, rebuttals, anecdotes and other great reads. It has its faults but I like the thanks system.

I'd be the same. It's quite convenient and a lot of the posts which receive a lot of thanks are quite insightful. Helpful when one is perusing a megathread...

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

Beasty wrote: »
    These threads are less frequent than cyclist-bashing ones in AH - it's over 6 months since the last one:)

Ah that one you mention wants an upvote/downvote system. I don't want that. I just don't want anything!
    I'd like to see something implemented where the person creating a thread had the option of enabling or disabling the Thanks button for that thread.

I do like the sound of that. I would also like if I could just switch it off for my profile at least. That would mean that I don't have to see all the 'thankseses' and I can go about my business without being very mildly irritated.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

To save any further confusion.....my thanks was taking the mick!!

• Advertisement

frag420 wrote: »
    To save any further confusion.....my thanks was taking the mick!!

I'm quite confident that they all are at this point!

I am starting a campaign to have your op the most thanked post on boards ha ha

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Ah that one you mention wants an upvote/downvote system. I don't want that. I just don't want anything!
    You may not want it, but you were the one raising the prospect of a "downvote"
    I think you should either have a downvote button to balance things out or just get rid of the whole thing altogether. My personal preference would be to do away with the system, as I think having a downvote button could possibly augment the problem.
    I also linked that thread because it covers the same issues you will find being raised again, as have a number of earlier threads on the same subject, all of which concluded that the thumbs up should stay.

Beasty wrote: »
    You may not want it, but you were the one raising the prospect of a "downvote"

I also linked that thread because it covers the same issues you will find being raised again, as have a number of earlier threads on the same subject, all of which concluded that the thumbs up should stay.

Fair point - although I still feel that my reasons for wanting rid are different enough to merit a new thread. I would ideally like to be able to not see who thanked a post, or how many thanks a post has when I browse the forums. I'd be happy enough if it was an option I could choose to have switched on or off. I'm clearly in the minority here, and I do see why people like having the 'thanks' button, so there's is no chance of the feature being totally revamped/abandoned - but perhaps there might be scope to make it optional.

I suppose people's opinions can change over the course of 6 months too though, so no harm I throwing a little additional feedback into the mix!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭Azalea

If it's backslapping to thank though, imagine how backslapping it would be if there was no thanks button and loads of people posting "I agree"!

I think if a person has a point to add to a post they agree with, they'll post it. But otherwise, I don't know if there's a need to back up their agreement when they might agree with every word and would have nothing to add other than "I agree" or "lol" or whatever.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,128 ✭✭✭✭aaronjumper

There has been loads of times I've popped into threads with the intent on posting my point of view only to find someone else has not only posted it but done a much more eloquent job of it.

Could you imagine the amount of plus one and I agree posts would be in the bigger forums if something the majority agrees with was posted?

It keeps the discussion flowing and has more pros than cons, at least in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

I need online validation. 'Man cannot live on Facebook likes alone' as Jesus once said.

There has been loads of times I've popped into threads with the intent on posting my point of view only to find someone else has not only posted it but done a much more eloquent job of it.

Could you imagine the amount of plus one and I agree posts would be in the bigger forums if something the majority agrees with was posted?

It keeps the discussion flowing and has more pros than cons, at least in my opinion.

+1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭_Tombstone_

frag420 wrote: »
    +1

Could you not have thanked that.

Snigger.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Second Toughest in_the Freshers

I need online validation. 'Man cannot live on Facebook likes alone' as Jesus once said.

QFT

Advertisement