Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is the 'thanks' button really necessary?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

I suppose it could be argued thanks goes against the ethos of a discussion site, but as social media as evolved I think that is less and less relevant for boards in particular.

I was reading an analysis of twitter posts and it found a big variation on interaction between users depending on lighter and more serious topics. Basically on more serious political stuff there isn't much interaction and you get both sides sticking to fellow minded supporters, indulging in back slapping each other about how right they are, with not much exposure to alternative views and research.

I don't think is as bad a problem here, though I can think of cases where it does happen, but generally you've got 2 sides of a debate arguing with each other on here, so there's interaction and exposure to other opinions and research. We tend to be a stubborn species so not many will change minds but at least people are debating and firing alternative views at each other, and getting to see what others think.

I don't think that has much to do with thanks, people have their views anyway, though I suppose seeing 20 thanks when you are in a minority opinion can be a bit intimidating. A well argued post is worth more than a thanks whoring post though and that will always be the case.

I think mods have to be aware of back slapping threads though as with group mentality it doesn't take much for that to overflow to more personal and even bullying type behavior, pack mentality and all that.

Overall though the button serves a purpose, and yep, I've thanked opposing views if well argued and reasoned, so it has a few constructive uses. I'm a bit of a thanks slut though, so it isn't hard to earn it of me!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Advertisement