Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

RIP Jonah Lomu

2»

Comments

Two people in the same family die of cancer. It must have been the same cause, right?

Not necessarily, but if one said they were both taking supplements and said their condition was due to that, you would dismiss his concerns, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭DyldeBrill

What an inspirational man that has inspired many a person. I knew that he had an ongoing illness, but I never knew that he was on the verge of death. He was the reason I started watching rugby as a kid, due to his sheer ability to bundle over any player in path as well as his burst of speed. He always had time for people, a true character, a true legend.

RIP Jonah!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭DyldeBrill

This video shows his true mental strength. Never gave up!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭allibastor

Such a shame to the sporting world. Met him in 2002 and he was a true gent of a man.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Shrap

Kiwi in IE wrote: »
    Such sad news. He was an amazing athlete and a really good guy. A Kiwi legend who made us proud and a huge loss to our country.

So sorry to hear this news. He was a real superhero figure to so many all over the world.

Run like the wind, big guy. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,341 ✭✭✭El Horseboxo

I can't stand watching rugby but coincidentally I ended up in a discussion about how good he may have been playing American football and what position he'd have played. I then spent about an hour watching highlights of him. Amazing watching him doing his thing. Such athleticism and nearly every comment on the videos mentioned experiences of meeting him and how much of a really good guy he was. Even as an American I heard of him growing up and couldn't believe he was only 40. Guess time escaped me. Anyway its really sad news to hear of his death.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,657 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Two internationals with the same club succumbed to the same serious kidney condition. One blamed the supplements policy at the club, one denied taking anything. Not sure how that can be dismissed as trivial in any way, it is very serious.

Unless someone has a very specific pre-existing kidney condition, there is
    no scientific evidence that the short- or long-term use of creatine monohydrate has any detrimental effects on otherwise healthy individuals.

But, you know, Neil Francis said it was a problem so it must be.

I think Jonah was the biggest reason why Rugby became so popular,

RIP Jonah

Tana Umaga said he put rugby on the map. He's not wrong. People tuned in just to see him run with the ball. Exhilarating stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,654 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

https://twitter.com/SetantaSports/status/666923940275580928

For anyone that hasn't seen it or would like to watch it again. RIP Legend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

He was so good with ball in hand that it seemed unfair to the opposition.

In interviews, he came across very well, seeming to be a nice guy, and modest about his achievements.

A proper sportsman, and a sad loss.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,180 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Crikey! RIP, big fella. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,174 ✭✭✭screamer

Not necessarily, but if one said they were both taking supplements and said their condition was due to that, you would dismiss his concerns, right?

I think it's not the right time to discuss this type of thing. Given that the poor guy only got home from the UK and died the following morning, I'd think more along the lines of DVT or something like that. Regardless anyways, the poor guy is dead and his family is devastated with 2 small kids with no dad. My heart goes out to them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Jonah was a gifted player who was the first true global superstar for rugby around the world. We'll never again see a player who impacted and changed the game the way he did. A monster on the field and a teddy bear of it.

RIP Jonah.

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭spud82

Lads can everyone please stop discussing what caused Jonah's health problems today is not the time or the place to do that

I saw this today and it broke my heart

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vIpv_KrT4_w

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,176 ✭✭✭✭josip

"I am hoping not to come across him again. He's a freak - and the sooner he goes away the better."

Well he's gone now Will, but it's not for the better :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Red_Wake

screamer wrote: »
    I think it's not the right time to discuss this type of thing. Given that the poor guy only got home from the UK and died the following morning, I'd think more along the lines of DVT or something like that. Regardless anyways, the poor guy is dead and his family is devastated with 2 small kids with no dad. My heart goes out to them.

I disagree. If there are allegations of a club's drug/diet regime impacting the health of former players so seriously, there deserves to be a serious discussion on it, as it could potentially be impacting the health of current players.

Having said that, I also believe rugby needs to have an open discussion on the use of drugs in the modern game - it clearly happens, so it's worth educating people on the dangers of steroids[one of which is kidney failure, incidentally] and other PEDs.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Blackwell

Shocked to hear this. RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

I love that story Keith Wood says about Paul Burke during the game they played against the All Blacks in the 95 World Cup

"He’d been capped the previous year the same as myself,” he says. “I was a couple of years older than Jonah. I remember sitting on the bench and watching this devastating display of skill, speed and power. And Paul Burke, the Ireland sub out half, famously there was an injury in the backs and saying ‘I’m not going on, I’m not going on.’"

http://www.the42.ie/jonah-lomu-keith-wood-2451505-Nov2015/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

RIP Big Man

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭Darkest Horse

Two people in the same family die of cancer. It must have been the same cause, right?

I'm not going into the science of it here but if you look up any articles in PubMed or Google Scholar, you'll find that your opinion is outdated.

• Advertisement

Watching the documentary on Setanta,brilliant stuff

Very humble man Jonah Lomu is coming across as,a gentle giant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Watching the documentary on Setanta,brilliant stuff

Very humble man Jonah Lomu is coming across as,a gentle giant.

Watching it myself what's the lump on his left bicep?

Was wondering that myself

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

R.I.P Jonah Lomu.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭irish coldplayer

RIP Jonah probably my favourite ever player.
    He also lent his name to the greatest rugby video game ever, spent hours in college playing Jonah Lomu rugby on the playstation with my mates

RIP Jonah probably my favourite ever player.
    He also lent his name to the greatest rugby video game ever, spent hours in college playing Jonah Lomu rugby on the playstation with my mates

Without doubt it was the best rugby game ever,the commentary was brilliant

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭wendell borton

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭gavdolfini

“I’m really lucky, I’ve already lived more in one lifetime than many would in six or seven lifetimes, for me, the important thing is to ask ‘can you look in the mirror and say you’ve done everything to enjoy life?’.”

R.I.P Jonah Lomu :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭Hammer89

Very disappointed to hear this. I trained with him and a few of his star-studded teammates when I was a teenager. I remember two things about that day. Firstly, he had something very weird poking out of gigantic calfs; something resembling a golf ball. Secondly, he was relatively shy. Even in the company of a bunch of teens who basically looked upon him as a god, he didn't say anything that wasn't related to the rugby drills we were doing.

We were also given tickets to the match, because they were in Ireland to play us, and I remember him flattening the naive Shane Horgan, who bent down, led with his shoulder as if it was any other winger running at him. Problem was, it wasn't any other winger. It was a freakishly strong, freakishly quick freight train who ran straight through him.

I've seen tributes referring him to as the first superstar of rugby, which is absolutely accurate, but will we ever see someone like him again? Has there been anyone since? People standing 6'5 and weighing 18 or 19 stone are not supposed to be wingers; nor are they supposed to be so much faster than their opposite numbers, but he was. Dunno. This is just terrible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Him running over Mike Catt is one of the most iconic scenes in rugby union. The guy was something else, sympathies to his wife and kids.

Pseudoaneurysm, apparently. Possibly caused by dialysis.

Advertisement