Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chelsea Drug Store

Options
  • 18-11-2015 1:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭

Taking a bit to open will it be serving drinks at Christmess?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭GrahamThomas

It's opened now, was in there on Saturday night for a pint

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

What was the ambience like? The name comes across very hipsterish.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

I think it looks a bit cold or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭GrahamThomas

ongarboy wrote: »
    What was the ambience like? The name comes across very hipsterish.

It's actually attached to the Market Bar - I'd say similar vibe/crowd to there, or any of the newer bars around George's St.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Canadel

Lux23 wrote: »
    I think it looks a bit cold or something.

You can't always get what you want.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

It's actually attached to the Market Bar - I'd say similar vibe/crowd to there, or any of the newer bars around George's St.

That whole area has really become the social mecca of the city. I read somewhere that the Dublin City Council planners wanted to stop restaurants/bars opening in that area due to an over intensification of such uses. I have to disagree as I think it generates a positive cluster destination effect with all the associated atmosphere/buzz that goes with it. I know if I'm visiting an unfamiliar area on a city break abroad , it's great to be able to browse menus of multiple restaurants next to each other before making a selection. Likewise, going on a drinks session, it's great to have the choice.

I agree, you will always find a late night party staggering down South William Street.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭discus

ongarboy wrote: »
    That whole area has really become the social mecca of the city. I read somewhere that the Dublin City Council planners wanted to stop restaurants/bars opening in that area due to an over intensification of such uses. I have to disagree as I think it generates a positive cluster destination effect with all the associated atmosphere/buzz that goes with it. I know if I'm visiting an unfamiliar area on a city break abroad , it's great to be able to browse menus of multiple restaurants next to each other before making a selection. Likewise, going on a drinks session, it's great to have the choice.

Yeah because Temple Bar worked out really well, I'm so proud of it

discus wrote: »

It does the job for tourists. If you don't like it, don't drink there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭carlmango11

discus wrote: »

Tourists like Temple Bar for the exact reason the previous poster mentioned. It's one centralised area. Obviously it's targeted at tourists so it's no surprise most Irish don't love it.

There's nothing worse than being in a city where everything is spread out. You look up a restaurant/bar, travel to get there and when you arrive you don't like it. You can't just wander around checking out other places, you have to look something up again and make another journey.

The compactness of Dublin is what makes it's atmosphere so good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Nokia6230i

Lux23 wrote: »
    It does the job for tourists. If you don't like it, don't drink there.

Such a model works brilliantly in Galway City too; Shop St. is a perfect example.

A hive, a mecca, an absolute goldmine....like as mentioned Temple Bar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭seanbmc

All these replies and barely anyone has said what it's like.

Going on Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,429 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Was going to drop into Hogan's last night for a drink but it was rammed so ended up hitting the Chelsea Drug Store. To be honest it's not a place i'd rush back to. I did not dislike it per say but it just has a beige type blandness about it. There was a decent crowd as you might expect but it seemed badly layed out and very narrow. Looks way bigger on their website and facebook photos. Cant comment on food or cocktails as i only had a beer but my first impression would be that it isnt anywhere very special at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

The name is painfully awkward. Sounds like a committee who had just seen a powerpoint presentation about hipsters came up with it after a brainstorming session.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,344 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

The name is painfully awkward. Sounds like a committee who had just seen a powerpoint presentation about hipsters came up with it after a brainstorming session.

Haha. Been trying to put my finger on it but you nailed it.

Cool by committee

• Registered Users Posts: 25,429 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Its not very hipsterish at all really.. not a very hipsterish crowd either mostly young middle class professional types (whatever they are).. just a very bland place...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭newacc2015

Why does every place in Dublin that doesnt confirm to the generic country hotel bar/restaurant colour scheme and tasteless furniture get called "hipster"? Yet in any other city in the world, Chelsea Drug Store would just be another bar.

I am totally for all these new bars in Dublin. I love a traditional Irish bar. But I also like to go into a bar where the seating is comfortable and the toilet have been painted/clean since October 1984. Most Irish bars are disgustingly dirty and unappealing to a fair amount of people.

All these new bars/restaurants are opening as there is clearly a demand for a different style of bar/restaurant in Ireland. A lot of German Bar are very similar to most newly opened bars in Ireland. So it is far from a new concept

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭Arbiter of Good Taste

newacc2015 wrote: »
    Why does every place in Dublin that doesnt confirm to the generic country hotel bar/restaurant colour scheme and tasteless furniture get called "hipster"? Yet in any other city in the world, Chelsea Drug Store would just be another bar.

I am totally for all these new bars in Dublin. I love a traditional Irish bar. But I also like to go into a bar where the seating is comfortable and the toilet have been painted/clean since October 1984. Most Irish bars are disgustingly dirty and unappealing to a fair amount of people.

All these new bars/restaurants are opening as there is clearly a demand for a different style of bar/restaurant in Ireland. A lot of German Bar are very similar to most newly opened bars in Ireland. So it is far from a new concept

Relax. It's the "too cool for school" name that people are commenting on. There's nothing wrong with a nice modern comfortable bar (in fact, I, myself can't stand the whole "traditional Irish" pub thing). But at the same time I don't need a venue to reinforce how cool and trendy I may think I am. Rightly or wrongly, the name has that cringeworthy feel about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,465 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

I think it's a great name for a bar in that area. I had to laugh when I saw the sign for it. If it was out in the suburbs on it's own it would seem a bit pretentious and trying too hard alright, but on george's st. it fits in I think. I agree we need alternatives to the generic irish pub, 30 years ago everywhere looked the same, today we have more variety and it's progress. If folk don't like it they'll vote with their feet anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,681 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

I don't think Powerpoint was around when that name came up first!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

Relax. It's the "too cool for school" name that people are commenting on. There's nothing wrong with a nice modern comfortable bar (in fact, I, myself can't stand the whole "traditional Irish" pub thing). But at the same time I don't need a venue to reinforce how cool and trendy I may think I am. Rightly or wrongly, the name has that cringeworthy feel about it.

Apparently it's a historical reference - not sure if it makes it better or worse as it's a London thing!
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chelsea_Drugstore

Has anyone tried Bow Lane yet? It looks nice. I went in on the 23rd for a drink on my own but there was an annoying group of banker types who wouldn't leave me alone, I ended up leaving. Apart from that I liked the vibe.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

mhge wrote: »
    Apparently it's a historical reference - not sure if it makes it better or worse as it's a London thing!
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chelsea_Drugstore

"I went down the Chelsea Drug Store
    to get my prescription filled"

Stones - You Can't Always Get What You Want

Scoring heroin 60s rocker style. Those runners on bikes delivered heroin and other services to Keef and Brian Jones among others of the 60s elite.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

"I went down the Chelsea Drug Store
    to get my prescription filled"

Stones - You Can't Always Get What You Want

Scoring heroin 60s rocker style. Those runners on bikes delivered heroin and other services to Keef and Brian Jones among others of the 60s elite.

I doubt that. The song was written just a couple of months after the Chelsea Drugstore opened, and Keith had only just started using heroin. Rather more likely that the lyrics, which specifically relate to going to the Chelsea Drugstore to stand in line for filling a prescription, and then grabbing a soda afterwards, are more straightforward. Jagger lived around the corner, so it would have been his local chemists. There's also nothing to suggest the delivery girls carried anything other than legit purchases.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

alastair wrote: »
    I doubt that. The song was written just a couple of months after the Chelsea Drugstore opened, and Keith had only just started using heroin. Rather more likely that the lyrics, which specifically relate to going to the Chelsea Drugstore to stand in line for filling a prescription, and then grabbing a soda afterwards, are more straightforward. Jagger lived around the corner, so it would have been his local chemists. There's also nothing to suggest the delivery girls carried anything other than legit purchases.

Yes, and the Velvet Underground were waiting for the man with the ice cream and lollipops.

Mick queuing. It's easier to imagine Daniel O'Donnell mainlining.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

Yes, and the Velvet Underground were waiting for the man with the ice cream and lollipops.

Mick queuing. It's easier to imagine Daniel O'Donnell mainlining.

Inept sarcasm aside, I guess you've nothing to support your pet theory then?

Exhibit A: man waiting to purchase smack:
    I'm waiting for my man
    Got 26 dollars in my hand
    Up to lexington 125
    Feel sick and dirty more dead than alive
    Huh, I'm waiting for my man

Up to a Brownstone, up three flights of stairs
    Everybody's pinned you, but nobody cares
    He's got the works, gives you sweet taste
    Ah then you gotta split because you got no time to waste

Exhibit B: Man queuing for prescription in chemists, and then buying soda:
    I went down to the Chelsea drugstore
    To get your prescription filled
    I was standing in line with Mr. Jimmy
    And man, did he look pretty ill
    We decided that we would have a soda
    My favorite flavor, cherry red

Note the absense of motorcycle couriers; smack carrying or otherwise, and the need to queue, regardless of celebrity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

The name is awkward and the main issue I have with the place.

"Hey let's go get a pint in The Chelsea Drugstore!"

Not a sentence I can see myself saying without cringing.

Advertisement