Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alert - phishing email alleging to be from Electric Ireland

Options
  • 18-11-2015 9:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭

I received an email this morning purporting to be from Electric Ireland, offering me a refund. It's by far and away the most convincing phishing email I've ever seen. I've pasted the content below in case anyone receives it, plus I've also sent an email to Electric Ireland Customer Service. 

[font=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]Your Electric Ireland REFUND NOTIFICATION is now available to view, please click here to log into online billing and view your refund status.[/font]

LOGIN BUTTON

[font=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]Your notification issue date is: 18 Nov - 23 Nov[/font]

[font=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]Your REFUND amount is: EUR 98.04[/font]

[font=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]Refund period: 18 Nov - 23 Nov.[/font]

[font=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]This amount is now overdue please arrange payment details. An easy way to complete your refund is by Irish debit card.[/font]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Griff101

Yep, received the same myself this morning. It is very convincing, and as we had changed providers, it could have been legit. But of course Electric Ireland would have had our banking details to do EFT, it was the mention of an "Irish Debit Card" that made me think it was a bit dodgy.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

The warning signs are all there - when you look closely. But at first glance, it's very good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭Electric Ireland: Brige N

Hi dudara,

Thanks for your message.

Electric Ireland is aware of the phising message and its contents.

Electric Ireland must advise you, and anyone else who receives this email not to open the message and to delete it directly.

Thanks,
    Brige

________

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭shanemkelly

Yes, I received this too.  It may look somewhat real but the e-mail comes from "@gourmetlearning.com.  Obviously not kosher...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭ChippingSodbury

Me too.

Very convincing...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Very good quality email but the senders email gives it away.@gourmetlearning.
    I also wasn't expecting a refund!

The worrying thing is how they got the emails.

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭shanemkelly

They didn't necessarily get EI customer e-mails - mine came to my work e-mail address whreras I use my personal e-mail for my EI account...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭ION08

Whats funny is that the "Talk to us on Boards" option at the bottom actually redirects you to this forum...

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭Radiotower

Got it too this morning - exact same amount of a refund!.

Hadn't noticed the email address before checking here but the line  'An easy way to complete your refund is by Irish debit card.' did catch my attention.

I was an Electric Ireland customer previously (maybe 2 years ago) so thought it would be strange it's take so long to refund - although could do with the money coming up to Christmas so you can see how people would fall for it.  It is by far the best quality one I've seen land in my inbox.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭ChippingSodbury

Radiotower wrote: »
    Got it too this morning - exact same amount of a refund!.
    We can go on the beer for the weekend :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭ION08

Are there any consequences to having clicked the link??

I clicked the link and opened up the page but didnt login or submit any details..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭Electric Ireland: David

Hi ION08,
    Are there any consequences to having clicked the link??

We would recommend running a thorough scan with your anti-virus software just to be on the safe side, but the most important thing is that you didn't hand over any of your personal details.

For any customers reading this who may have done so, we recommend contacting your bank immediately.

Hope this helps.

Thanks,
    David

________

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭rubberdungeon

Received this email twice this morning to two different email addresses. 

It looks very convincing but on closer reading the email address it came from is not genuine.

The offer of a refund later mentioned as '[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]This amount is now overdue please arrange payment details. An easy way to complete your refund is by Irish debit card' [/font]is also alarming.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

Also received this twice.

Was very convinced as we're actually due a refund of the initial account deposit this month!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Electric Ireland: Una

Thanks again dudara and all who have posted.

Hi Luciana Teeny Tuba, we understand your concern. The email was sent to random emails, including those of customers who are not with Electric Ireland, or to emails Electric Ireland customers have not registered with us, like in shanemkelly's case (thanks for the post, Shane!)

There is a stickied thread about the occurrence at the top of this forum, and it includes the press release.

Once again, thanks all.

Una

Advertisement