Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sky Q

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

HDD failures are pretty common in all deployments of the tech, nothing to be too worried about frankly.
    I'd be more than a bit peeved if my PC's HDD died after 4 months. :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

I'd be more than a bit peeved if my PC's HDD died after 4 months. :eek:

Bell shaped curve. I've been dealing with HDDs for 20 years, Jesus thinking about it even more! I remember when 20Mb... any way...

I've a HDD I'm still using which is over ten years old. I've had HDDs DOA, I've had them fail after a week, month, year. The vast majority last forever - some die young.

I think Sky have, or will shortly have a way of transferring the programs over and they certainly have plans to have proactive engineers visits, so when the SMART reporting indicates a problem you'll get a knock on the door when someone is in the area.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

Of course any electro-mechanical device can fail or even be DOA, it's just that you made it sound almost obligatory:)
    BTW I remember the days when you typed 'park' for the HDD but we are going OT.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭ffocused

Anyone else missing RTE2 from epg today?
    I cannot even watch it if I type in 102, it brings up a 'channel unavailable' message.

(Fixed after a power cycle)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,259 ✭✭✭techdiver

ffocused wrote: »
    Anyone else missing RTE2 from epg today?
    I cannot even watch it if I type in 102, it brings up a 'channel unavailable' message.

(Fixed after a power cycle)

Another of the many known issues with sky q. When there are transponder changes, it doesn't pick them up until you do a reboot.

• Advertisement

techdiver wrote: »
    Another of the many known issues with sky q. When there are transponder changes, it doesn't pick them up until you do a reboot.

Is that why I'm getting no sat signal?!

Another bug I've found is the bloody thing deleting half watched programs. It's as if it's trying to transfer them somewhere and it failing. I must get back on to them.

Overall I miss Sky+HD - the interface was just better and more polished. There are, however, a number of features on SkyQ I love. All in all 7/10 but knowing Sky it'll get better over time.

Is that why I'm getting no sat signal?!

Another bug I've found is the bloody thing deleting half watched programs. It's as if it's trying to transfer them somewhere and it failing. I must get back on to them.

Overall I miss Sky+HD - the interface was just better and more polished. There are, however, a number of features on SkyQ I love. All in all 7/10 but knowing Sky it'll get better over time.

The no satellite signal is a different issue. Channels missing from the epg would indicate a transponder change and a reboot usually fixes this.

My boxes are acting up today saying there is no signal. Happens for a few seconds and comes back. I think that is a separate issue. It shouldn't be my dish as they reused the one I installed myself last year and that has perfect alignment.....

The no satellite signal is a different issue. Channels missing from the epg would indicate a transponder change and a reboot usually fixes this.

My boxes are acting up today saying there is no signal. Happens for a few seconds and comes back. I think that is a separate issue. It shouldn't be my dish as they reused the one I installed myself last year and that has perfect alignment.....

I get no signal. never an issue on the old boxes. I have to reboot for it to pick it back up again. I think I have a Friday afternoon box tbh!

I get no signal. never an issue on the old boxes. I have to reboot for it to pick it back up again. I think I have a Friday afternoon box tbh!

I've just lost my epg on my silver. Funny thing is the epg on the minis actually work??

They really need to get the finger out and sort these issues!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,377 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Trust me you're not the only one; my classic is go away for a few days and you can guarantee that it experiences a "power failure" which hasn't happened. Frustrating when you arrive back to many missing recordings especially when the catch up services are so much more restricted than I'm used to.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 22 Johnmuck

This Sky Q sounds like a step backward if you ask me.
    Overcomplicating things.

Johnmuck wrote: »
    Overcomplicating things.

Different strokes for different folks.

Johnmuck wrote: »
    Overcomplicating things.

Without the defects it is a fantastic setup. It's my first time being a sky customer and the one thing that's annoying is the lack of movement on fixing issues.

My guess is they are focusing on the changes for Sky Cinema and UHD broadcasts etc, at the detriment of stabilising the issues with the setup.

Different strokes for different folks.

True.

My guess is they are focusing on the changes for Sky Cinema and UHD broadcasts etc, at the detriment of stabilising the issues with the setup.

If your guess is true then they are spending money on painting their tenants house when they actually should be repairing broken windows and fitting a front door.

The issues are very minor and are always going to take second place to new product launches.

Is Horizon sorted yet? If so how long did that take?

More akin to finishing off the estate rather than doing the snagging.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭galtee boy

SkyQ box is beginning to look like a right dogs dinner. Sky are normally the market leaders in box tech, but did they rush this to the market too soon ?

galtee boy wrote: »
    SkyQ box is beginning to look like a right dogs dinner.

Folks paying for a complete dogfood and being supplied with mixer.......

SkyQ box is beginning to look like a right dogs dinner. Sky are normally the market leaders in box tech, but did they rush this to the market too soon ?

Nope. How long have you had yours in?

The issues are very minor and are always going to take second place to new product launches.

Is Horizon sorted yet? If so how long did that take?

More akin to finishing off the estate rather than doing the snagging.

I wouldn't call complete loss of epg daily and intermittent complete signal loss minor issues!

That coupled with the dolby digital issue and various usability issues don't add up to good word of mouth.

I wouldn't call complete loss of epg daily and intermittent complete signal loss minor issues!

That coupled with the dolby digital issue and various usability issues don't add up to good word of mouth.

I'm not getting those personally.

I might lose the sat signal once a month, fixed by a reboot. Whats the DD issue, mine runs through the home cinema grand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭galtee boy

Nope. How long have you had yours in?

I don't have SkyQ and based on what I'm reading here and in the UK forums, I'm glad I didn't get it, it seems riddled with bugs. It has the potential to be the Rolls Royce of pay tv systems, but it obviously needs a lot of tweaking and it's surprising of Sky that they let it out on the market until it was 100% ready. I had Sky+HD since it was launched and the most I had to reboot the box was 2 or 3 times in 10 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,842 ✭✭✭jeffk

Got ours installed today, thanks to here and various sites I was ready, we got a new dish and hybrid lnb(old box was used via magic eye, so might as well have it connected as new mini is connected to tv that used magic eye)

Issues on the mini, taking ages to load a channel, sputtering when it did load, then won’t give me an EPG past today. You’ll need a booster (which of course he didn’t have) I’ll be back this evening with it (still waiting)

We got two remotes for the main box (button and non-button navigation), the engineer said because some people can’t use the non button one
    • Plus, and minus 24 hours in the guide is now fast forward and rewind button, clever, but should be on the bottom like the old yellow red etc. button hints where
    • I miss the reminders, handy to use it like a tv guide or basically to remind you
    • I preferred the old mini window to search for shows etc
    • No option to turn off the big blue Q
    • Record button should be record and then press twice is series link

I don't have SkyQ and based on what I'm reading here and in the UK forums, I'm glad I didn't get it, it seems riddled with bugs. It has the potential to be the Rolls Royce of pay tv systems, but it obviously needs a lot of tweaking and it's surprising of Sky that they let it out on the market until it was 100% ready. I had Sky+HD since it was launched and the most I had to reboot the box was 2 or 3 times in 10 years.

Riddled is overstating it a bit, it's 95%, perhaps more there but it is at the early adopter stage. I have a bit of interest in tech so I'm willing to admit I'm a bit biased based on having hardware from Dev kits to new release cards you expect to take a few weeks/month for the drivers to be tweaked but Sky IMO had it ready to go on mass release when it did.

A testament to them is how perfect the mature product they have is. I'm not aware of any other company in the field that has that. To fair fair again, there's been no push to upgrade AFAIK. If you prefer a mature product that needs rebooting once every three years as opposed to once every 3 weeks that's perfectly reasonable.

My issues are:

Loosing sat signal - 30 second fix every few weeks.
    Recordings - box is being replaced, really shouldn't have to be but meh service is free.
    Interface is a bit janky.

The wifi system, watch in any room and various other features make it a clear winner for me, but horses for courses.

@JeffK the extra remote is handy for a hidden mini. I don;t really like the bluetooth remote but it's useful in the kitchen!

Onto sky looking for my booster

Has anyone got rte player? On hold and they said about having it on sky q, i cant find it

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,661 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

its gone live today

its gone live today

Got an email saying its here as well thanks.

Just waiting on it appear now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,051 ✭✭✭jones

I'm currently paying €90 a month for 2 sky hd boxes (one 2TB HD box and regular HD box) for multi-room and HD as well as sports and movies and general channels. I have a magic eye from one of the boxes to the bedroom.

I was originally very interested in sky Q thinking I might get a newer set up for the same money but even with getting rid of multi room/HD sky were charging me €104 for the same set up on sky q. Are multi room and HD sub both scrapped when going with sky Q?

Two questions: My broadband isn't great - about 8mb - I might be totally missing the point but as it uses wifi is it using the broadband bandwidth or is it just the wifi channel its using? Basically will I see a slow down on my other internet connected paraphernalia?

As regards the magic eye i currently have upstairs I'm assuming it will not work with sky Q?

Thanks,

Jones

Multiscreen and HD are scrapped. You pay a 'activation fee' for the boxes upto 4 additional boxes. IIRC it's €99 for your first 2 boxes (Silver+mini) then + €99 for another mini. Only the main box and 2 other boxes can be watching TV at anyone one time.

Wifi is just for downloads, if anything you'll see a bit of a speed up in areas covered by the boxes as they work as boosters.

AFAIK magic eye's dont work with Q.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,051 ✭✭✭jones

Multiscreen and HD are scrapped. You pay a 'activation fee' for the boxes upto 4 additional boxes. IIRC it's €99 for your first 2 boxes (Silver+mini) then + €99 for another mini. Only the main box and 2 other boxes can be watching TV at anyone one time.

Wifi is just for downloads, if anything you'll see a bit of a speed up in areas covered by the boxes as they work as boosters.

AFAIK magic eye's dont work with Q.

When you say scrapped does that mean that the "normal" sky will stop being charged for them as well or just the sky q price includes MR and HD?

• Advertisement

jones wrote: »
    When you say scrapped does that mean that the "normal" sky will stop being charged for them as well or just the sky q price includes MR and HD?

Sky+HD (normal Sky) will continue to merrily take your cash for MS and HD. :)

Sky offer two different models now: SkyQ without additional subscriptions but with activation fees and Sky+HD with subscription fees.

In addition to both products there are still premium subs for Sports and Movies but BOTH platforms can avail of any discounts on these products. SkyQ on the other hand has been positioned as a no discounts platform, how long that lasts is debatable.

Advertisement