Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sky Q

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Sparko

I've lost TV3 HD on Sky Q - 103 has just vanished. The SD channel is still there on 200 something. Have rebooted box and it's still gone. Anyone else missing 103?

EDIT - A second reboot and it's back. Nevermind!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,377 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Sparko wrote: »
    I've lost TV3 HD on Sky Q - 103 has just vanished. The SD channel is still there on 200 something. Have rebooted box and it's still gone. Anyone else missing 103?

Mine too; bizarre.+1 is still there as is the standard def.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Sparko

Marcusm wrote: »
    Mine too; bizarre.+1 is still there as is the standard def.

Mine is back, I rebooted the main box again and the miniboxes too and it reappeared.

I'd honestly not miss the channel but my mother can't live without her Vincent Browne!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,521 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

All these issues really put me off.

I may go for it when 4K comes out but not now.

Any idea when sky are starting 4k?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭Avada

Headshot wrote: »
    All these issues really put me off.

I may go for it when 4K comes out but not now.

Any idea when sky are starting 4k?

Rumour is start of the premier league season

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,842 ✭✭✭jeffk

Jesus sky q, sky or the people asked to put it in are a mess
    • Mini box lags, lucky if you can get tomorrow on epg
    • 4 phone calls and a boards private message to sky reps the day after install an engineer comes out at 7 with booster
    • Almost 2 hours of mostly having a go at it (including telling me to factory reset my virgin media router, there is issues with the internet and it keeps going off), says its ok and almost runs out door, leaving me to finish updating mini and then main one after match
    • Go to watch match, recording starts 30 minutes in and I see the score
    • Then the mini stops working
    • 25 minutes onto sky, ill ring the installation people tomorrow at nine and be back to you, can’t be sure if someone will come out tomorrow to fix it
    What a mess, latest virgin router with top package in hall, main box beside it in sitting room and mini above it, but still issues

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭beercr8te

jeffk wrote: »
    Jesus sky q, sky or the people asked to put it in are a mess
    • Mini box lags, lucky if you can get tomorrow on epg
    • 4 phone calls and a boards private message to sky reps the day after install an engineer comes out at 7 with booster
    • Almost 2 hours of mostly having a go at it (including telling me to factory reset my virgin media router, there is issues with the internet and it keeps going off), says its ok and almost runs out door, leaving me to finish updating mini and then main one after match
    • Go to watch match, recording starts 30 minutes in and I see the score
    • Then the mini stops working
    • 25 minutes onto sky, ill ring the installation people tomorrow at nine and be back to you, can’t be sure if someone will come out tomorrow to fix it
    What a mess, latest virgin router with top package in hall, main box beside it in sitting room and mini above it, but still issues

I had trouble too with my install last week, I kicked up a fuss about it on the talk to sky ireland forum here, at the time I had a vodafone service and modem and i had connection issues due to modem not assigning an IP address to the minis even with boosters used.

The engineer was out of his depth clearly and had also turned up with one mini box missing to add insult, the sky reps managed to sort it out after the installation firm would not sort my problem out and a very experienced engineer was sent to sort it out the next day, he arrived with equipment to interface with modems and show the network operating. I now have sky broadband with sky q hub and have no issues.

I have read on the sky.com forums that some people have activated the built in powerline feature the boxes have by entering the installer menu and report that their systems work perfect now with their modems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,259 ✭✭✭techdiver

Has anyone just hard wired all boxes and disabled wifi?

Did you get any improvement/stability?

techdiver wrote: »
    Has anyone just hard wired all boxes and disabled wifi?

Did you get any improvement/stability?

According to one of the latest sky customer care reps, if its not on their broadband there will be issues :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

According to one of the latest sky customer care reps, if its not on their broadband there will be issues :rolleyes:

That's a shame, most people seemed to get it running pretty well on Virgin. I did wonder if that was going to have a 100 hit rate right enough, good to get some balanced feedback.

• Advertisement

Make absolutely no sense....

I wish communication from companies was clear and accurate. If they don't know the answer, don't bull**** it, just say I don't know.

That's a shame, most people seemed to get it running pretty well on Virgin. I did wonder if that was going to have a 100 hit rate right enough, good to get some balanced feedback.

Just comes across as sales speak to me, our service wont work with the fastest and best service out there

I'm hitting 30Mbps on WiFi where the mini box is, so that's not enough :confused:

You want to be a fly on the wall since I got it in Wednesday

Engineer you need booster
    Sky customer care, you where lucky to get one as non sky broadband customers don't get them

A lot of the issues I'm seeing too is caused by the sky wifi mesh. I'm on Virgin broadband and the Sky Q Silver box can only see the 2.4Ghz channel of my router (Asus AC87U), so it is limiting itself to the 2.4Ghz speed. The Q boxes then broadcast a 5Ghz hotspot for each of them to connect to, but this is pointless as the silver's maximum speed is limited to what it can get from the 2.4Ghz channel. So for instance say I have 2 minis streaming + a on demand show downloading, you will start to clip off the top of available bandwidth to the silver.

Now, one question I have, is does the streaming data from the Silver go wifi direct to the boxes over the 5Ghz mesh, or does it route through the 2.4Ghz channel that the Silver is connected to? (I suppose I can check my router traffic later when I get home to answer this....)

The workaround is to use wired connection, but they have also only fitted 100mb ports on these boxes!! Crazy! I'm still leaning towards going wired though as 100mb wired will be more stable than 2.4Ghz wifi especially when multiple devices could be sharing the channel space.

Then sky should either include powerline adaptors or make it work in the boxes

I turned wifi off and wouldn't work, people on sky forum said it did for them

Then sky should either include powerline adaptors or make it work in the boxes

I turned wifi off and wouldn't work, people on sky forum said it did for them

Did you do it though the installer menu?

Home
    Select

You need to enable Ethernet there too I think. I haven't tried it yet myself though.

Did you do it though the installer menu?

Home
    Select

You need to enable Ethernet there too I think. I haven't tried it yet myself though.

Yes I tried that, i assumed(wrongly?) the boxes done all the work.
    I'm guessing you'd need to connect a Ethernet cable from the box to a plug and then repeat the other end?

Yes I tried that, i assumed(wrongly?) the boxes done all the work.
    I'm guessing you'd need to connect a Ethernet cable from the box to a plug and then repeat the other end?

Yeah, if you disable wifi you would need to hard wire all boxes.

Make absolutely no sense....

I wish communication from companies was clear and accurate. If they don't know the answer, don't bull**** it, just say I don't know.

To be fair that's pretty much what they've said. It's a third party product we can't fix it. The customer is entitled to rescind the contract and to be fair to Sky I've never heard of them locking people into contracts when they can't supply the service.
    Just comes across as sales speak to me, our service wont work with the fastest and best service out there

I'm hitting 30Mbps on WiFi where the mini box is, so that's not enough :confused:

Again not really. The engineers are no doubt measured on successful installs. They just can't get it up and running. I doubt there is a conspiracy here. Do Sky want you on their broadband, of course they do, but Sky are the masters of soft sell. Furthermore loads of people seem to be up and running on third party broadband.

Sky seem damned if they do and damned if they don't in a lot of ways.

Yeah, if you disable wifi you would need to hard wire all boxes.

I heard power-line and just assumed plug boxes in and sends the signal, when you think of it it doesn't make sense

• Advertisement

To be fair that's pretty much what they've said. It's a third party product we can't fix it. The customer is entitled to rescind the contract and to be fair to Sky I've never heard of them locking people into contracts when they can't supply the service.

Again not really. The engineers are no doubt measured on successful installs. They just can't get it up and running. I doubt there is a conspiracy here. Do Sky want you on their broadband, of course they do, but Sky are the masters of soft sell. Furthermore loads of people seem to be up and running on third party broadband.

Sky seem damned if they do and damned if they don't in a lot of
    ways.

Tablet,phones,chromecast,laptop,andorid box all work fine on my wifi.
    Put in sky q, all of a sudden said broadband isn't up to scratch

Router in hall,main sky box beside hall in sitting room,mini box above main box,short of having them in the same room you cant get much closer

Tablet,phones,chromecast,laptop,andorid box all work fine on my wifi.
    Put in sky q, all of a sudden said broadband isn't up to scratch

Router in hall,main sky box beside hall in sitting room,mini box above main box,short of having them in the same room you cant get much closer

It's the Sky mini box that isn't up to scratch. How do you think it's gonna go for the 20 something lad in Ballsbridge in his first/second job that tells you that?

It works in the majority of cases. In my case I couldn't get Virgin equipment to work properly between floors. Sky come along and now I've great broadband coverage.

Unfortunately no product is perfect and you can't please everybody.

For the 5Ghz wifi mesh network with wifi hotspots to be enabled you need the sky q hub that comes with sky broadband. The sky q system works perfect since I got sky broadband and sky q hub installed, had problems when I had my broadband service with vodafone.

beercr8te wrote: »
    For the 5Ghz wifi mesh network with wifi hotspots to be enabled you need the sky q hub that comes with sky broadband. The sky q system works perfect since I got sky broadband and sky q hub installed, had problems when I had my broadband service with vodafone.

That would be a criticism I'd level against Sky tbh. There should be an option to bridge the Sky hub into third party networks.

That would be a criticism I'd level against Sky tbh. There should be an option to bridge the Sky hub into third party networks.

I agree.

I've just successfully hard wired my silver and one mini and everything is working fine. Going to see how it goes over the next few days.

I've just successfully hard wired my silver and one mini and everything is working fine. Going to see how it goes over the next few days.

Maybe that's something that sky will have to look into, but then defeats the marketing campaign and tech spiel of any room/wire free boxes

Maybe that's something that sky will have to look into, but then defeats the marketing campaign and tech spiel of any room/wire free boxes

The problem is the reliance on wifi for a one size fits all approach. Different homes will have different issues with wifi. Although my wifi is good there is always the issue of contention especially when they don't enable 5ghz for non sky broadband customers.

The problem is the reliance on wifi for a one size fits all approach. Different homes will have different issues with wifi. Although my wifi is good there is always the issue of contention especially when they don't enable 5ghz for non sky broadband customers.

Again im hearing different.

According to the installer(who im begging to think has been throw in the deep end as the face of installs with basic training and hopefully it wont go wrong)the boxes use both wireless bands, now you say non sky broadband customers don't get 5ghz?

• Advertisement

Again im hearing different.

According to the installer(who im begging to think has been throw in the deep end as the face of installs with basic training and hopefully it wont go wrong)the boxes use both wireless bands, now you say non sky broadband customers don't get 5ghz?

The boxes are capable of both and they broadcast a (useless to non sky broadband customers) 5ghz hotshot. But the connection between the silver and your router is only capable of connecting to the 2.4Ghz band (for non sky bb customers), which means with 3 sky q devices running simultaneously you will be relying on the throughput of your routers 2.4Ghz band.

Also the engineers are essentially satellite installers and are not network engineers.

Advertisement