Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sky Q

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,842 ✭✭✭jeffk

Can you turn on 5 in the engineer mode? I seen it in there, cant be that easy?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,259 ✭✭✭techdiver

jeffk wrote: »
    Can you turn on 5 in the engineer mode? I seen it in there, cant be that easy?

It's already enabled. I tried all combos, it won't connect. I've read elsewhere that this is happening for everyone.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

techdiver wrote: »
    It's already enabled. I tried all combos, it won't connect. I've read elsewhere that this is happening for everyone.
    A shambolic carry-on if true.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,842 ✭✭✭jeffk

Had an engineer out today
    • Anything that’s happening to setups is recorded and used to fix bugs etc
    • A software update coming July 21st or so
    • Said about not using 5Ghz, more or less laughed it off saying he doesn’t know why non sky people can’t use it
    • The latest Virgin Media routers are ok for setting up, loads of issues with the older ones
    • Also the Vodafone ones are near impossible to setup
    • If there’s issues, plug out the main box, hold in power, put in plug (the old hard update mechanism)
    • Said a lot of people are saying about reminders
    • Also agreed the new system for typing in Wi-Fi passwords, searching etc isn’t great

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 728 ✭✭✭robert muldoon

I must be one of the lucky ones, I got a sky q install 2 weeks ago and all is going quite well, had a few probs but mostly due to the fact that there is no instruction manual with the silver box so I had to query most things thru the Internet and the Sky Q team. I live in the country and DONT have any landline broadband so I use a Vodafone 4G dongle which gives me up to 10mbs download at a fairly consistent rate . I will have Imagine wireless fibre in August minimum 30mbs download with 20gbs data per DAY ,I will do any downloading at the moment ,catch up etc during daytime as its safer

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,661 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

jeffk wrote: »
    Had an engineer out today
    • Anything that’s happening to setups is recorded and used to fix bugs etc
    • A software update coming July 21st or so
    • Said about not using 5Ghz, more or less laughed it off saying he doesn’t know why non sky people can’t use it
    • The latest Virgin Media routers are ok for setting up, loads of issues with the older ones
    • Also the Vodafone ones are near impossible to setup
    • If there’s issues, plug out the main box, hold in power, put in plug (the old hard update mechanism)
    • Said a lot of people are saying about reminders
    • Also agreed the new system for typing in Wi-Fi passwords, searching etc isn’t great

I've a VF router and it's worked fine for months, I've needed one reboot, my mini is used more than my main tbh

I'm a few days post ethernet wiring my silver and one of my minis, whilst leaving 2 of the other minis using wifi.

Thus far I have seen no signal drop from the hard wired mini, but it still does happen occasionally on the minis using wifi. I have 2 more powerline adapters on the way. I think that will resolve at least one of my issues.

So in short, my investigation has shown that:

Wifi = Bad
    Wired = Good

To be honest this is always the way with all devices connected to the internet, despite what Sky say!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

sky q 4K is coming 13th august and no extra charge

http://www.stuff.tv/news/sky-puts-4k-in-q-13-august

more details of end of july update

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭flangemeistro

peteeeed wrote: »
    sky q 4K is coming 13th august and no extra charge

http://www.stuff.tv/news/sky-puts-4k-in-q-13-august

more details of end of july update

Great so now all we need on top of a €150 upfront payment and a €136 monthly subscription is a €1500 TV.

Unless you want to see a fleas ball hair on national geographic then 4K is totally unnecessary and will go the same way as 3D TVs and curved TVs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

Great so now all we need on top of a €150 upfront payment and a €136 monthly subscription is a €1500 TV.

Unless you want to see a fleas ball hair on national geographic then 4K is totally unnecessary and will go the same way as 3D TVs and curved TVs.

i'll let you know when my 1500 tv arrives

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

No it won't. There are other way more effective techs out there to improve the viewing experience but they are not being implemented because the consumer can understand the concept of more dots, hence the industry will keep increasing resolution and consumers will keep buying it.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,793 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,019 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

I'm a few days post ethernet wiring my silver and one of my minis, whilst leaving 2 of the other minis using wifi.

Thus far I have seen no signal drop from the hard wired mini, but it still does happen occasionally on the minis using wifi. I have 2 more powerline adapters on the way. I think that will resolve at least one of my issues.

So in short, my investigation has shown that:

Wifi = Bad
    Wired = Good

To be honest this is always the way with all devices connected to the internet, despite what Sky say!

It will be interesting to see if there are many complaints about 4K over Wifi in the future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

It will be interesting to see if there are many complaints about 4K over Wifi in the future.

It seems only the Sky Q silver box is capable of 4K.

The mini boxes are not.

Kensington wrote: »

The mini boxes are not.

More limitations!

At least the Wifi won't be a problem so :D

The mini boxes are not.

Yeah, the wifi should have on bearing on 4K (apart from download speeds of On Demand content).

I think the way forward is to definitely hard wire at least the main silver box. I'm going to test that scenario tonight and re-initialise the mesh then as it seemed in my setup it wasn't using the mesh and everything was routing though my main router. I don't hold out much hope though, that why I have a couple more powerline adapters on the way so I can hard wire all boxes.

I know I shouldn't have to do resolve these issues myself, but over the years my experience has been that I am more capable at resolving my own technical issues than any "engineer" that is sent out to me unfortunately. I am an IT professional though...:D

Yeah, the wifi should have on bearing on 4K (apart from download speeds of On Demand content).

I think the way forward is to definitely hard wire at least the main silver box. I'm going to test that scenario tonight and re-initialise the mesh then as it seemed in my setup it wasn't using the mesh and everything was routing though my main router. I don't hold out much hope though, that why I have a couple more powerline adapters on the way so I can hard wire all boxes.

I know I shouldn't have to do resolve these issues myself, but over the years my experience has been that I am more capable at resolving my own technical issues than any "engineer" that is sent out to me unfortunately. I am an IT professional though...:D
    Love to hear how you get on with the powerlines.

The only way I can get all the boxes talking to each other initially using Ethernet powerline adapters is by not enabling wifi/hotspot feature on them. If I enable wifi it refuses to work - can browse EPG and go up and down channels but black screen for video and no sound.
    Even at that when the Ethernet works well if there's so much as a momentary blip on the powerline adapters the whole mini streaming just falls over and stops working until I reboot everything.

Never in my life have I had to reboot something so much (and I work in IT :-) )

The only way I can get all the boxes talking to each other initially using Ethernet powerline adapters is by not enabling wifi/hotspot feature on them. If I enable wifi it refuses to work - can browse EPG and go up and down channels but black screen for video and no sound.
    Even at that when the Ethernet works well if there's so much as a momentary blip on the powerline adapters the whole mini streaming just falls over and stops working until I reboot everything.

Never in my life have I had to reboot something so much (and I work in IT :-) )

I'll update when I get everything sorted.

Ok, here is a snapshot of where I was from beginning to where I am today. Some of the tips below might help others, especially when Sky is not your broadband provider and you are not connecting to a Sky Q Router.

1) When originally setup entirely by wifi the Silver is connected to the main router (Asus in my case).
    2) Using the WPS to connect all the minis also connected them to the Asus router. All traffic going from the Silver to the Mini's was being rou

I then decided to connect my main silver and 1 mini via wired ethernet connection. This resolved the drop out issues on the mini that was wired, but the other minis still suffered from issues ans it was still using the same 2.4Ghz channel as all my other devices.

Last night I decided to re-initialise the whole system. I decided the following:

1) Still leaving the Silver via wired connection and WPS the minis to it.

The results were interesting. Now once every mini was connected the connected network name changed from my Asus router to the name of the Sky Q Silver box. It also resulted in the mesh being properly utilised! I.E. None of the streaming traffic was going through my router it was going via direct wifi from the boxes to each other. In the few hours last night after doing this I have have no issues with either drops out of TV Guide going missing.

So my diagnoses is this:

If you don't have Sky broadband the Silver will only connect to 2.4GHz wifi. Each box will then use WPS to connect but will in turn (and this is the critical point!) only connect to the same router for all traffic, essentially making the wifi mesh useless! The only way to get the mesh to work correctly is to hard wire the silver box and re-initialise the WPS setups. You will then notice every box will have a network connection name identical to the Silver box as opposed to whatever your 2.4GHz wifi network name is.

I wonder the result if the router Wifi was turned off during the initial set up. Would the boxes then have used their own wifi?

• Advertisement

I wonder the result if the router Wifi was turned off during the initial set up. Would the boxes then have used their own wifi?

Could try it, although you obviously need it on to connect to the silver. I have a hunch though that the silver just shares out the connection to the minis tough.

I still think since the Silver is restricted to 2.4GHz it is better to hard wire if possible. The minis might work fine using the mesh as long as distance isn't too great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭winston_1

Best not to use them. They are nasty things that cause interference to other nearby users of the RF spectrum.

Ok, here is a snapshot of where I was from beginning to where I am today. Some of the tips below might help others, especially when Sky is not your broadband provider and you are not connecting to a Sky Q Router.

1) When originally setup entirely by wifi the Silver is connected to the main router (Asus in my case).
    2) Using the WPS to connect all the minis also connected them to the Asus router. All traffic going from the Silver to the Mini's was being rou

I then decided to connect my main silver and 1 mini via wired ethernet connection. This resolved the drop out issues on the mini that was wired, but the other minis still suffered from issues ans it was still using the same 2.4Ghz channel as all my other devices.

Last night I decided to re-initialise the whole system. I decided the following:

1) Still leaving the Silver via wired connection and WPS the minis to it.

The results were interesting. Now once every mini was connected the connected network name changed from my Asus router to the name of the Sky Q Silver box. It also resulted in the mesh being properly utilised! I.E. None of the streaming traffic was going through my router it was going via direct wifi from the boxes to each other. In the few hours last night after doing this I have have no issues with either drops out of TV Guide going missing.

So my diagnoses is this:

If you don't have Sky broadband the Silver will only connect to 2.4GHz wifi. Each box will then use WPS to connect but will in turn (and this is the critical point!) only connect to the same router for all traffic, essentially making the wifi mesh useless! The only way to get the mesh to work correctly is to hard wire the silver box and re-initialise the WPS setups. You will then notice every box will have a network connection name identical to the Silver box as opposed to whatever your 2.4GHz wifi network name is.

How is it stability wise after a day, 2 days, 3 days?

Even when I connected everything over Ethernet after a day it all fell over again anyway and was back to my mini marathon about the house rebooting everything.

I take it you're also not on sky BB, that might be my next attempt to try...

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭R.F.

I'm on the full package + multiroom and was looking into getting the HD upgrade and then noticed SKY Q full pack isn't too much difference in price

Does SKY Q include normal HD in the package?

Does multiroom work as normal with that extra mini box included?

Is everyone experiencing lag issues with this box?

If I also changed my broadband pack to sky would this fix the issue, as I believe the mini box acts as a booster?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,196 ✭✭✭✭muffler

R.F. wrote: »
    I'm on the full package + multiroom and was looking into getting the HD upgrade and then noticed SKY Q full pack isn't too much difference in price

If I also changed my broadband pack to sky would this fix the issue, as I believe the mini box acts as a booster?
    HD is included as standard with the Sky Q box. I assume the mini boxes would be the same but Im not sure on that one as I dont have the system installed myself.

Depending on what type of multiroom you are used to, you will find that the mini boxes cant record like some multiroom boxes that people have set up that way (i.e. Sky+ box with twin feeds). The mini boxes do however allow you to watch any thing you have recorded on the main box.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,196 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Forgot to say. Just in case you weren't aware Sky have their own talk to forum here on Boards. There are quite a few threads about the boxes and if you cant get a definitive answer the reps are online from 1 - 5 on weekdays

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭zg3409

The best way of connecting everything is using computer ethernet cables, both to the broadband box and the main box and multiroom.

Accessing normal channels does not use your broadband speed, but things that use an internet link, such as on demand services need a half decent broadband. Broadband speed depends on your phone line quality.

Sky's broadband uses a phone line, and is slightly more compatible with all the boxes. However even with Sky's broadband, any wireless can have interference from neighbours and blocking of signals due to thick walls. 5Ghz is very affected by thick brick walls.

A way to link boxes without wires, is to use powerline adapters. These are extra pieces of hardware that use your house wiring. You can use them with any internet provider. They are still not as good as a wired cable. The installers may or may not agree to use these if they have any.

In terms of providers UPC/Virgin Media is normally considered the best, where available. Nearly all other providers use your phone line, so speed depends on phone line quality and distance from the house to the nearest phone cabinet (Fibre powered).

If you have UPC I would not switch to Sky broadband, as it would probably be slower. If you could install computer cables between all boxes that would be best, long term. Even the best wifi system can have problems and if there are bugs in the system even cables won't help. Having a computer connection in every room is handy in the future. The cables can be ran on the outside of the house. If you want reliable recordings you might want to wait for bugs to be fixed.

In relation to HD, note without the HD pack you can still get some channels HD for free like BBC, RTE, etc. assuming your box is HD capable.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭beercr8te

I found I saved 44 euro a month upgrading to Sky Q silver multiroom over my old set up, you have to haggle. I had wifi issues with the system when i was with vodafone for broadband, it did not matter what was done to get it working (even boosters made no difference) I had connection drops constantly between modem and Sky mini boxes (due to IP's not being assigned from modem to boxes) and also between the boxes themselves.

Luckily I made the decision before installation to switch to sky for broadband and received Sky Q hub a few days after the Sky Q installation and all works perfect now, not one issue since and the Sky WIFI mesh network is all over my house with hot spots enabled I have excellent wifi signal and speed around the house. Perhaps other providers modems work better or are more compatible than my vodafone modem did, that's just my story.

There was a Firmware update for Sky Q a while ago that was meant to resolve issues with non sky modems, i guess they need to work harder, hopefully the built in powerlines in the boxes will be officially enabled in a future firmware update, but you can do it from the installer menu from what i've read.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭mdfire

Just out of interest what is the current firmware? I havent upgraded in quite a while and im on version 21L

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭beercr8te

mdfire wrote: »
    Just out of interest what is the current firmware? I havent upgraded in quite a while and im on version 21L

21L is still the current version, no doubt we'll see a new one before August 13th for the UHD service.

You can check what versions is current and all previous version on this site:
    https://skyepginfo.co.uk/Firmware/Firmware.php

Advertisement