Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sky Q

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,842 ✭✭✭jeffk

mdfire wrote: »
    Just out of interest what is the current firmware? I havent upgraded in quite a while and im on version 21L

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=100324362&postcount=695

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭ffocused

Here is a link which will show you the latest firmware for Sky Q and lists the improvements of each one.
    https://skyepginfo.co.uk/Firmware/SkyQ.php

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,259 ✭✭✭techdiver

Big firmware update released.

No details of fixes, but new features are mentioned here:

http://helpforum.sky.com/t5/Community-Blog/Something-new-is-coming-to-Q/ba-p/2497515

Haven't had a chance to test it out yet, so don't know if any reported issues are fixed.

'Other channels' now work on mini box.

ffocused wrote: »
    'Other channels' now work on mini box.

Do they??

Brilliant! That's great news!

• Advertisement

ANother thought. I wonder can we now tune in the SES 4K promo channel? Since 2160p is now enabled on the Silver....

Bluetooth remote has had the touchpad sensitivity dialled down & it is now usable. (or the batteries in mine are on the way out!)

Cannot see any other differences except UHD but I don't have a UHD TVs to test it with.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,661 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

I would expect quite a big improvement in mini box connectivity from the fix.

I would expect quite a big improvement in mini box connectivity from the fix.

To be honest I'm not sure there will be. I wouldn't hold my breath. If the signal to the minis is weak there is very little they can do with that apart from boosting the Tx power (which would break regulations).

I have re-initialised the wifi mesh on mine again, although i have left the Silver connected via ethernet. It "seems" stable at the moment, but I haven't given a good test yet. I have noticed that the minis or the mesh is very susceptible to wifi interference even from different channels/frequencies.

I had 2 different wifi routers set up in roaming mode with the same ssid. The Sky Q mesh operated separate to this, but any time we maxed out the second wifi router it would cause a connectivity issue with the sky q minis. The are not crossing channels or anything, so I'm really at a loss at the moment and need to perform more tests over the weekend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

Bluetooth remote has had the touchpad sensitivity dialled down & it is now usable. (or the batteries in mine are on the way out!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭beercr8te

Installed this 3am, now thank god the whole system is running in UHD so menus are razor sharp now all we have to wait for is the content to come, i'll be trying out the ses astra demo later, i already have it set up on my tv for months, i urge anybody with a UHD tv to try this demo on their sky q silver box,

SES Astra 28.2 UHD Demo

Satellite: ASTRA 2E

Frequency: 12.441 GHz

Polarisation: Vertical

Symbol Rate: 29.5 MS/s

Modulation: DVB-S2 QPSK

FEC: 3/4

Is channel 279 (Insight) in UHD for anyone with a capable tv?

It is marketed as a UHD channel so I would assume it is or will be in UHD on Sky.
    It has a few half decent programmes on it too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭mossie

beercr8te wrote: »
    Installed this 3am, now thank god the whole system is running in UHD so menus are razor sharp now all we have to wait for is the content to come, i'll be trying out the ses astra demo later, i already have it set up on my tv for months, i urge anybody with a UHD tv to try this demo on their sky q silver box,

SES Astra 28.2 UHD Demo

Satellite: ASTRA 2E

Frequency: 12.441 GHz

Polarisation: Vertical

Symbol Rate: 29.5 MS/s

Modulation: DVB-S2 QPSK

FEC: 3/4

Cannot tune this in, comes up no channels found'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

It is marketed as a UHD channel so I would assume it is or will be in UHD on Sky.
    Insight UHD is FTA on 19° and encrypted on 28°. Presumably so Sky can screw you for even more money.:mad:
    BTW they have a very limited selection of programs so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭steveon

Insight UHD is being added to guide fairly soon August perhaps when the UHD part is launched mostly for sports..

There is also a new firmware update for the Sky Q box been launched

http://www.broadbandtvnews.com/2016/07/21/first-software-update-for-sky-q/

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,661 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Sky uhd content doesn't start til mid August

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭beercr8te

mossie wrote: »
    Cannot tune this in, comes up no channels found'

Just managed to try it, same result, it will probably work when we get the next update just before August 13th. This channel works and looks perfect on my HU8500 tv using its satellite inputs.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,673 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Hi guys, anyone know if it's possible to record the 'additional channels' on Sky Q?

Hi guys, anyone know if it's possible to record the 'additional channels' on Sky Q?

No Sky seems to have actively blocked any interaction with the additional channels apart from tuning them in. You can't even quick toggle between them, you have to go out the whole way through the menu to change the channel. Very annoying.

techdiver wrote: »
    No Sky seems to have actively blocked any interaction with the additional channels apart from tuning them in. You can't even quick toggle between them, you have to go out the whole way through the menu to change the channel. Very annoying.

Plus you can't watch them on the mini-box as far as I can see...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,223 ✭✭✭digiman

Plus you can't watch them on the mini-box as far as I can see...

Since the software upgrade this week it is now available.

digiman wrote: »
    Since the software upgrade this week it is now available.

Oh so you can cheers. Now if I could only get my mini-box connect back to my wi-fi so I can watch anything at all...:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 728 ✭✭✭robert muldoon

I am getting Imagne LTE fibre broadband installed in a couple of weeks and am wondering if there are any issues with Sky Q as I live out in the sticks, I have to use Vodafone 4g dongle at the moment but it has its limitations

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭mdfire

I am getting Imagne LTE fibre broadband installed in a couple of weeks and am wondering if there are any issues with Sky Q as I live out in the sticks, I have to use Vodafone 4g dongle at the moment but it has its limitations

Ive Sky Q and a crappy 1.5mb internet connection. Your tv signal still comes via satellite and the multiroom is the internal network. I just cant use the on demand stuff which downloads...well i can but its not worth the wait

mdfire wrote: »
    Ive Sky Q and a crappy 1.5mb internet connection. Your tv signal still comes via satellite and the multiroom is the internal network. I just cant use the on demand stuff which downloads...well i can but its not worth the wait

Why don't you get the Vodafone 4G dongle, however you would need to be able to get 4G or 3 mobile also has the facility, my Vodafone gives me download of up to 20 mbs but data is only 30GBS per month but you can get add ons up to 150 Gbs but it gets very expensive I think 3 mobile s unlimited

Does anywhere in Kildare really count as 'the sticks' anymore?

Does anywhere in Kildare really count as 'the sticks' anymore?

As far as broadband is concerned , it's very much in the sticks

When I use the home button, it defaults to Top Picks and I have to scroll up to TV channels .surely this can't be right, my question is: Can this default be changed?

When I use the home button, it defaults to Top Picks and I have to scroll up to TV channels .surely this can't be right, my question is: Can this default be changed?

It is by design and no, annoyingly you can't change it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,842 ✭✭✭jeffk

Has anyone got a Sky Q booster?

Changed the name of my wifi,now cant get it to connect,tried WPS method on router to it,then main box to it,then mini box to it,then all boxes to it

I get the feeling it might be a waste of time and better off just not using it

Advertisement