Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sky Q

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,259 ✭✭✭techdiver

Hi,

Just an update on the connectivity issues with the minis and my suspected wifi interference.

I have my Sky Q Silver hard wired to my Asus router. I then use the Sky Q wifi mesh on channel 36 5Ghz channel (this is not configurable). All works fine in normal operation and all boxes stream fine now.

The problem arises as follows:

I have a second older Belkin router which I have set-up upstairs to extend my wifi range in the house. I have it configured on the same SSID so it is a wifi clone as such set-up for wifi roaming for devices. I have the 5Ghz on channel 48, so it is not within any overlapping range of the Sky Q channel 36.

Whenever a device is connected through this router and I run a speed test I lose connection on the Sky Q minis in the house. This makes absolutely no sense as it is an isolated network and is not on any overlapping channel. If I'm connected to my Asus router downstairs on channel 108 it has no effect on the Sky Q connection. I also verified that no traffic is being routed back through the Asus for the Sky Q system (apart from On Demand), so the Sky Q mesh is operating independently from the main network for live streaming.

So in short here is my setup:

Sky Q Silver - Connected via Ethernet
    Sky Q Minis x 3 - Connected via mesh to Silver (5Ghz Channel 36)
    Asus RT-AC87U - 5Ghz on Channel 108
    Belkin N600DB - 5Ghz on Channel 48 (same ssid as Asus router)

Sky runs perfectly unless maxing out the wifi connection on the Belkin 5Ghz channel (2.4Ghz has no effect on Sky), which should have no effect on Sky as they are completely separate wifi networks.

Either way, if anyone here is having issues with their system and they are a non-sky broadband customer, or using an third party router, my suggestion is to Hard Wire your Sky Q and re-initialise the mesh with all minis in your house and verify that the network they are attached to is something like Sky0E345 or something along those line and not the name of your actual home routers connection. When originally installed, all my minis were connected directly to my Asus network and all streaming traffic was routed through that before hitting each box, essentially saturating the 2.4Ghz channel the the Sky Q Silver was connected to. (As the Sky Q won't connect to third party 5Ghz networks).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 728 ✭✭✭robert muldoon

jeffk wrote: »
    Has anyone got a Sky Q booster?

Changed the name of my wifi,now cant get it to connect,tried WPS method on router to it,then main box to it,then mini box to it,then all boxes to it

I get the feeling it might be a waste of time and better off just not using it

Do you mean you changed the password as am thinking of doing the same as I have 2 broadband options at the moment

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,842 ✭✭✭jeffk

Do you mean you changed the password as am thinking of doing the same as I have 2 broadband options at the moment

No the name, i renamed my wifi with 2.5 or 5 at the end for the different speeds,then undone it an still wont get a connected light on sky q booster

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,051 ✭✭✭jones

How much is everyone paying for Sky Q? I was looking at upgrading but am being quoted 113 pm (currently paying 90 pm with HD, Multi-room, sports, movies et all)

I think i'll hold on until i can get it for under the 100 per month (if ever). Very hard to justify paying over a ton each month although the Q set up looks amazing

• Registered Users Posts: 16,673 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

jones wrote: »
    How much is everyone paying for Sky Q? I was looking at upgrading but am being quoted 113 pm (currently paying 90 pm with HD, Multi-room, sports, movies et all)

I think i'll hold on until i can get it for under the 100 per month (if ever). Very hard to justify paying over a ton each month although the Q set up looks amazing

We're on 113 as far as I know. Can't see it coming down any time soon tbh. Definitely worth the extra 20-odd if you can afford.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

They're 'not doing deals' on the base product for SkyQ or they weren't. I'm sure that'll eventually change but as above probably not until at least the first adopters are out of contract.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,497 ✭✭✭Masala

jones wrote: »

PLUS.... you will have the 'one-off' €149 Engineer call out charge??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

Do you still use a viewing card guys? If so, have you tried a UK card in the main box?

jca wrote: »
    Do you still use a viewing card guys? If so, have you tried a UK card in the main box?

Yep viewing card in the main box. Pairing is more locked down than Sky+HD IIRC.

jca wrote: »

You get a new viewing card with skyq. I presume the new card supersedes the old ones

• Advertisement

Sorry guys just a quick question. Can you set recordings through the mini box or only through the main box? Thanks

Sorry guys just a quick question. Can you set recordings through the mini box or only through the main box? Thanks

You can set them from any box.

The minis work as a clone of the main Silver box apart from a few setup options.

You CAN record thru your mini box

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,521 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Has anyone tried Sky Q with power lines yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭beercr8te

They're 'not doing deals' on the base product for SkyQ or they weren't. I'm sure that'll eventually change but as above probably not until at least the first adopters are out of contract.

They are doing deals, it depends on how long you're with them and who you talk to in the call centre.

Anybody thinking of upgrading to sky q should haggle for a deal, especially if you're a long time customer. I saved 45 a month compared to my old setup.

techdiver wrote: »
    You can set them from any box.

The minis work as a clone of the main Silver box apart from a few setup options.

Can we move the mini-box around the house as we like?? E.g - Set it up in Kitchen during the day and move to bedroom in evening if you want?? Is it just a plug and play using HDMI + power???

Masala wrote: »
    Can we move the mini-box around the house as we like?? E.g - Set it up in Kitchen during the day and move to bedroom in evening if you want?? Is it just a plug and play using HDMI + power???

Indeed you can as long as it's within wifi distance of the Silver or at least one other mini.

Masala wrote: »

If you've (or anyone else) hasn't got set up yet - make sure you get the mini boxes set up in the far away position then move them back yourself once the engineer has gone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 417 ✭✭Joo0

beercr8te wrote: »
    Anybody thinking of upgrading to sky q should haggle for a deal, especially if you're a long time customer. I saved 45 a month compared to my old setup.

How much are you paying now?

• Advertisement

techdiver wrote: »
    Indeed you can as long as it's within wifi distance of the Silver or at least one other mini.

Cool....!!!!

It be handy to move into a bedroom if one of the kids was off sick and laid up. DVD's can be watch just so many times !!!

Joo0 wrote: »
    How much are you paying now?

Now paying 73 a month for sky cinema, sky q silver and multiroom, 45 for sky broadband, down from 117 a month with same channels with sky+ hd multiroom and paying vodafone 45 for broadband.

They are doing deals, it depends on how long you're with them and who you talk to in the call centre.
    Now paying 73 a month for sky cinema, sky q silver and multiroom, 45 for sky broadband, down from 117 a month with same channels with sky+ hd multiroom and paying vodafone 45 for broadband.

Kudos to the sales person ;) That's not a deal on SkyQ though. SkyQ silver comes with an additional room (and extra ones if you're willing to pay 'activation' for the additional boxes). There are deals on the premium packs (e.g. Sports/Cinema) and deals available on broadband. So by the looks you have Cinema for €6 per month for X number of months.

Kudos to the sales person ;) That's not a deal on SkyQ though. SkyQ silver comes with an additional room (and extra ones if you're willing to pay 'activation' for the additional boxes). There are deals on the premium packs (e.g. Sports/Cinema) and deals available on broadband. So by the looks you have Cinema for €6 per month for X number of months.

At the time i ordered they were charging a lot more, I have the movies at that price for 12 months, the deals for sky sports and movies is for only 6 months, i got the deal on the broad band, i have the top call package, they are trying to charge 55 a month for that, i have 2 minis and a silver box. sky q silver plus the mini box cost 67 a month alone. I received 80 euro credited to my account on top to sweeten the deal meaning i payed 100 for install.

Why don't you tell us what you're paying?

At the time i ordered they were charging a lot more, I have the movies at that price for 12 months, the deals for sky sports and movies is for only 6 months, i got the deal on the broad band, i have the top call package, they are trying to charge 55 a month for that, i have 2 minis and a silver box. sky q silver plus the mini box cost 67 a month alone. I received 80 euro credited to my account on top to sweeten the deal meaning i payed 100 for install.

Again not deal there on SkyQ as I've said.

SkyQ silver is €67 per month. For that you get The SkyQ silver bundle including a minibox. You can add up to 3 additional boxes, although only 2 minis+your main box will work for TV at anyone time.

They might do deals on any of the ancillary packages but not on SkyQ itself and are unlikely too until cancellations are a thing if then even.
    Why don't you tell us what you're paying?

Because it's a secret. Shhhh...

Again not deal there on SkyQ as I've said.

SkyQ silver is €67 per month. For that you get The SkyQ silver bundle including a minibox. You can add up to 3 additional boxes, although only 2 minis+your main box will work for TV at anyone time.

They might do deals on any of the ancillary packages but not on SkyQ itself and are unlikely too until cancellations are a thing if then even.

Because it's a secret. Shhhh...

Meaning you have nothing.

Meaning you have nothing.

Why are you so annoyed you didn't get a deal on the SkyQ silver? You got a good deal on everything else, I'm just pointing it out for anyone who thinks they'll be able to get a deal on SkyQ silver solus. You can't.

Why are you so annoyed you didn't get a deal on the SkyQ silver? You got a good deal on everything else, I'm just pointing it out for anyone who thinks they'll be able to get a deal on SkyQ silver solus. You can't.

I'm not annoyed, i didn't pay full price for installation and activation, which was first quoted at 240 euro, then 180 and then it went down to 100, so yes I got a deal and i'm still saving money every month. There are people who not getting anything off. Not to mention the Hybrid lnb i got with installation.

I'm not annoyed, i didn't pay full price for installation and activation, which was first quoted at 240 euro, then 180 and then it went down to 100, so yes I got a deal and i'm still saving money every month. There are people who not getting anything off. Not to mention the Hybrid lnb i got with installation.

Perfect, everyone is happy. Just bear in mind hybrid LNBs aren't a given, but if one can't read between the lines on this thread by now that's not anyone's fault and that there is no discount on the monthly sub cost of SkyQ.

• Advertisement

Perfect, everyone is happy. Just bear in mind hybrid LNBs aren't a given, but if one can't read between the lines on this thread by now that's not anyone's fault and that there is no discount on the monthly sub cost of SkyQ.

Are you an installer by any chance? The name rings a bell.

Advertisement