Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sky Q

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

beercr8te wrote: »
    Are you an installer by any chance? The name rings a bell.

Nope. I'm apparently a rapper of some sort also a Roman General, the name was picked for even more obscure reasons tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,588 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

Do the new sky Q boxes still have composite or scart outputs?

Have my current sky box running with a slingbox.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,588 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

swoofer wrote: »

That AV slot is the composite output so it will work.

Just would need the remote codes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 728 ✭✭✭robert muldoon

Wasn't there supposed to have been a Sky Q upgrade in the last week or so, did it happen? And if so what's new?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭mdfire

Wasn't there supposed to have been a Sky Q upgrade in the last week or so, did it happen? And if so what's new?

I think mine has updated from looking at the firmware number but I can see anything different.

Does anyone know if Setanta/BT sports are now supported on the minis?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭SK1979

Does anyone know whether they've amalgamated the Disney kids channels into the standard offering on Sky Q?

Appears they have as I dont see an option to add them but I cant see for certain on the (awful) site...

Also, just to clarify the "initial" cost for an existing Sky+ customer to upgrade and add 2 boxes will be €249 (rather than 199 for new customers)?

Cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,586 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

This site lists updates to the SkyQ boxes - https://skyepginfo.co.uk/Firmware/SkyQ.php

• Registered Users Posts: 16,673 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

mdfire wrote: »
    I think mine has updated from looking at the firmware number but I can see anything different.

Not on mine anyway, so I'm not watching the Rooney testimonial atm.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭johntommy

Sorry if this question has been asked. I am getting Sky Q installed soon. Can I keep my 2 old Sky+ HD Boxes or do Sky own them?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,377 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

mdfire wrote: »

BT Sport is supported on the minis in the UK. I assume that eirSport has done something specific to make sure that BTSport cannot be seen on the minis here. I would have thought that was an anti competitive practice although possibly a legal one.

johntommy wrote: »
    Sorry if this question has been asked. I am getting Sky Q installed soon. Can I keep my 2 old Sky+ HD Boxes or do Sky own them?

They will take them away only if you want them to, I kept mine but they are selling on done deal for about 30-40e, hardly worth the effort

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭beercr8te

Nope. I'm apparently a rapper of some sort also a Roman General, the name was picked for even more obscure reasons tbh.

Very funny, you should add comedian to that list. I only asked as I remember a similar name on the labels of the packaging on my Sky Q boxes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

techdiver wrote: »
    Hi,

Just an update on the connectivity issues with the minis and my suspected wifi interference.

I have my Sky Q Silver hard wired to my Asus router. I then use the Sky Q wifi mesh on channel 36 5Ghz channel (this is not configurable). All works fine in normal operation and all boxes stream fine now.

The problem arises as follows:

I have a second older Belkin router which I have set-up upstairs to extend my wifi range in the house. I have it configured on the same SSID so it is a wifi clone as such set-up for wifi roaming for devices. I have the 5Ghz on channel 48, so it is not within any overlapping range of the Sky Q channel 36.

Whenever a device is connected through this router and I run a speed test I lose connection on the Sky Q minis in the house. This makes absolutely no sense as it is an isolated network and is not on any overlapping channel. If I'm connected to my Asus router downstairs on channel 108 it has no effect on the Sky Q connection. I also verified that no traffic is being routed back through the Asus for the Sky Q system (apart from On Demand), so the Sky Q mesh is operating independently from the main network for live streaming.

So in short here is my setup:

Sky Q Silver - Connected via Ethernet
    Sky Q Minis x 3 - Connected via mesh to Silver (5Ghz Channel 36)
    Asus RT-AC87U - 5Ghz on Channel 108
    Belkin N600DB - 5Ghz on Channel 48 (same ssid as Asus router)

Sky runs perfectly unless maxing out the wifi connection on the Belkin 5Ghz channel (2.4Ghz has no effect on Sky), which should have no effect on Sky as they are completely separate wifi networks.

Either way, if anyone here is having issues with their system and they are a non-sky broadband customer, or using an third party router, my suggestion is to Hard Wire your Sky Q and re-initialise the mesh with all minis in your house and verify that the network they are attached to is something like Sky0E345 or something along those line and not the name of your actual home routers connection. When originally installed, all my minis were connected directly to my Asus network and all streaming traffic was routed through that before hitting each box, essentially saturating the 2.4Ghz channel the the Sky Q Silver was connected to. (As the Sky Q won't connect to third party 5Ghz networks).

The Sky Q mesh is configured to use 80MHz channels ("HT80") so that consumes the entire four channels 36, 40, 44 and 48 which means the Sky Q mesh is actually overlapping with the Belkin :)

The minimum channel you can use that won't overlap with Sky Q is 52 and up.

However this carries the caveat that not all 5GHz capable devices can see these higher up DFS channels.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,259 ✭✭✭techdiver

Kensington wrote: »
    The Sky Q mesh is configured to use 80MHz channels ("HT80") so that consumes the entire four channels 36, 40, 44 and 48 which means the Sky Q mesh is actually overlapping with the Belkin :)

The minimum channel you can use that won't overlap with Sky Q is 52 and up.

However this carries the caveat that not all 5GHz capable devices can see these higher up DFS channels.

Never thought of that, thanks.

That makes it doubly annoying that you can't change the channel on Sky Q as my Belkin router can't go above channel 48!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

techdiver wrote: »
    Never thought of that, thanks.

That makes it doubly annoying that you can't change the channel on Sky Q as my Belkin router can't go above channel 48!

See if you can get a firmware update for the Belkin.

Most routers didn't/don't have DFS straight out of the box but can be enabled via a firmware update.

Kensington wrote: »
    See if you can get a firmware update for the Belkin.

Most routers didn't/don't have DFS straight out of the box but can be enabled via a firmware update.

I have the latest firmware. The router is about 5 years old at this stage so not sure if it's possible.

I checked around for dd-wrt etc, but I don't think my model is supported.

Some routers may disable the channels by default but still be able to use them. Is there any option to enable the DFS channels maybe?

Karsini wrote: »
    Some routers may disable the channels by default but still be able to use them. Is there any option to enable the DFS channels maybe?

Thanks, but still can't find any such option. Seems the firmware for these routers is cack! I'm hamstrung to channels 36-48 only on 5Ghz.

I think Sky should allow you to change the channel it uses for the mesh though as some channel interference would be out of your control, (neighbours etc), or at least it should scan for unused channels and select the best possible one instead of being hard coded to channel 36!

I hope to get imagine lte very soon, at the moment am using the Vodafone 4 g dongle for my broadband and it works quite ok with my sky Q system except for for the data restriction of 30Gb per month.
    Am wondering if I am going to have issues with the changeover to imagine bb
    Does anyone have imagine lte and Sky Q working together?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

There's little bit of UHD content up, 2 moves and a wildlife doc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭AMGer

peteeeed wrote: »
    There's little bit of UHD content up, 2 moves and a wildlife doc

Saw the two films up alright (Forrest Gump and Pixels), interesting choice for the first UHD content. Where's the wildlife doc? I don't see it anywhere on the planner

AMGer wrote: »
    Saw the two films up alright (Forrest Gump and Pixels), interesting choice for the first UHD content. Where's the wildlife doc? I don't see it anywhere on the planner

its in the boxset menu.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭AMGer

its in the boxset menu.

Thanks. Watched both films, Pixels looks good, Forrest Gump not so much. I'd say Netflix UHD content is more impressive but it's early days. Can't wait to see the footie next weekend in UHD.

Thanks. Watched both films, Pixels looks good, Forrest Gump not so much. I'd say Netflix UHD content is more impressive but it's early days. Can't wait to see the footie next weekend in UHD.

There's a match on tomorrow in UHD, 5pm sky sports, International Champions Cup - Liverpool vs Barcelona.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

There's a match on tomorrow in UHD.
    Which one ?

harr wrote: »
    Which one ?

International Champions Cup - Liverpool vs Barcelona

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,223 ✭✭✭digiman

International Champions Cup - Liverpool vs Barcelona

how do you record this?

digiman wrote: »
    how do you record this?

In the sports menu and into uhd section, should be there on the day to select to watch live and record.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

Netflix 4K seems a lot better ..the documentary was good and pixels not to bad but I could hardly tell the difference with forest gump..hope it improves.

Advertisement