Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sky Q

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 728 ✭✭✭robert muldoon

Dr. Nick wrote: »
    Great, thanks. So is the requirement to have Sky broadband gone yet?

No you don't need Sky bb to get skyQ, I use a Vodafone 4g dongle for bb

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭Dr. Nick

My current set-up is one hd box in the sitting room and shared with one bedroom and the other box being shared with the kitchen, playroom and other bedrooms. Am I correct in saying this cannot be replicated with SkyQ - i.e. I won't be able to distribute the signal in the same way, even if I have two mini boxes?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,586 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

My current set-up is one hd box in the sitting room and shared with one bedroom and the other box being shared with the kitchen, playroom and other bedrooms. Am I correct in saying this cannot be replicated with SkyQ - i.e. I won't be able to distribute the signal in the same way, even if I have two mini boxes?

Can you clarify what type of receivers you use in other rooms, do you have a multiroom sub?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,377 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

That's a bit confusing. When you say the boxes are shared between rooms, are they being watched simultaneously in all rooms? You could have 1 silver and 4 minis of which only two of the minis could be active at a time.

The Cush wrote: »
    Can you clarify what type of receivers you use in other rooms, do you have a multiroom sub?

Yes, we have multi-room, whatever is on in the kithen is on in the bedrooms for instance, except the main bedroom which is connected to both boxes.

• Advertisement

Marcusm wrote: »
    That's a bit confusing. When you say the boxes are shared between rooms, are they being watched simultaneously in all rooms? You could have 1 silver and 4 minis of which only two of the minis could be active at a time.

That could work, but sounds like it could be expensive? Soarview on all the tvs so that helps also :)

Yes, we have multi-room, whatever is on in the kithen is on in the bedrooms for instance, except the main bedroom which is connected to both boxes.

With one skyQ box and 2 minis, you can watch 3 different channels at the same time, the 2 minis are very portable and will attach to any tv that has a hdmi port and watch different recorded programs, if you have an iPad , you can watch a different channel on that, so that is 4 channels you can watch at the same time, I had sky multi room but this a huge improvement on that, just make sure you have half decent broadband 3 mbs for mini connection and 5-10mbs for downloads and catch up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,823 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Dr. Nick wrote:
    Great, thanks. So is the requirement to have Sky broadband gone yet?

I have Sky Q with Eir broadband so I assume it has.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

With one skyQ box and 2 minis, you can watch 3 different channels at the same time, the 2 minis are very portable and will attach to any tv that has a hdmi port and watch different recorded programs, if you have an iPad , you can watch a different channel on that, so that is 4 channels you can watch at the same time, I had sky multi room but this a huge improvement on that, just make sure you have half decent broadband 3 mbs for mini connection and 5-10mbs for downloads and catch up

Broadband only has a bearing on catch-up, better broadband means downloaded content will be available quicker.

Streaming between Sky Q and the mini's is reliant on WiFi only and the Sky Q boxes create their own WiFi mesh network between them so they keep away from your own home WiFi network.

Streaming between Sky Q and iPad's does however go through your home WiFi so you will need good WiFi for this to work properly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭MidMan25

MidMan25 wrote: »
    Ordered Sky Fibre Unlimited today, will I be sent the Sky Q Hub automatically if I already have Sky Q?

Got a normal Sky Hub in the post today rather than the newer Q one. Is that right? I have Sky Q Silver.

• Advertisement

So what would sky silver with a total of three boxes cost? I currently have the full package with sports and movies but cannot get sky broadband (or any fixed line broadband for that matter, but this will change soon hopefully when Eir 1000mbps FTTH arrives :) )

So what would sky silver with a total of three boxes cost? I currently have the full package with sports and movies but cannot get sky broadband (or any fixed line broadband for that matter, but this will change soon hopefully when Eir 1000mbps FTTH arrives :) )

Why do u need 3 minis? Will you have 4 TVs on at the same time ,ok maybe you do

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,259 ✭✭✭techdiver

Why do u need 3 minis? Will you have 4 TVs on at the same time ,ok maybe you do

I have 3 minis. 4 tv's in the house.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Marcusm wrote: »

When you say 2 active at once, i's it 2 in total or watching something on the main box then 2 mini boxes being used at the same time, meaning 3 people watching 3 separate things or is it a total of 2 boxes in use at once?

I've ordered sky q silver and 1 mini box but if 3 can be watched at once I might add a box.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,377 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

When you say 2 active at once, i's it 2 in total or watching something on the main box then 2 mini boxes being used at the same time, meaning 3 people watching 3 separate things or is it a total of 2 boxes in use at once?

I've ordered sky q silver and 1 mini box but if 3 can be watched at once I might add a box.

The silver and 2 of the minis can be watched at a time plus 2 tablets. I have 3 minis. I wish the tuners allocated to tablets could be used for minis.

techdiver wrote: »
    I have 3 minis. 4 tv's in the house.

Yes ,have 4 TVs in house as well and only two of us living in the house and 7 grandchildren visiting from time to time. I move one of the minis around which works perfectly for us. Someone said to get an extra mini costs over a 100e,is hat correct?

Yes ,have 4 TVs in house as well and only two of us living in the house and 7 grandchildren visiting from time to time. I move one of the minis around which works perfectly for us. Someone said to get an extra mini costs over a 100e,is hat correct?

Yeah €100 once off. I just got them all when I was having it installed. If there was a monthly fee I wouldn't have bothered. But I'm happy I got them all. They can actually be hidden behind the TV's and the remotes still work, so it's nice and neat for the TV's I have mounted on walls.

Is there one free mini box with sky q silver? Not clear on the website.

Is there one free mini box with sky q silver? Not clear on the website.

It looks like they have changed their bundles alread. They are now charging for multi room separately!

EDIT: Actually it all works out the same. You can still order the mini for free as long as you add multi room, which came as part of the original Silver Bundle and is the same price anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 278 ✭✭Lockster

Just a warning for anyone looking to take out Sky Q now, they have completely changed their pricing for installation. I called in June and was offered Sky Q Silver and two mini boxes for €179 installation. I didn't take it at the time as it was before our holidays and didn't have the money. Just called again ready to order and was now quoted €360 to install exactly the same thing. Seems like they are now charging €120 per box installation and you don't get the free mini box with Sky Q Silver any longer. I was going to switch my Broadband and phone to them as well.

Not surprisingly I didn't place an order

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,771 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

Just got mine in this week, had ordered two weeks ago. The free mini box was very attractive, looks like that gone from what ye saying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭reboot

Got a normal Sky Hub in the post today rather than the newer Q one. Is that right? I have Sky Q Silver.

Sorry if already covered, but I am seeing Sky ads of late, advertising Ultra HD, does this mean 4K transmissions have started?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,054 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

reboot wrote: »

Sorry if already covered, but I am seeing Sky ads of late, advertising Ultra HD, does this mean 4K transmissions have started?
    Yes Ultra HD on Sky since a fortnight ago when Liverpool vs Barcelona was shown. Since then afaik all live EPL games broadcast by Sky have been in UHD.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭AMGer

Yes Ultra HD on Sky since a fortnight ago when Liverpool vs Barcelona was shown. Since then afaik all live EPL games broadcast by Sky have been in UHD.

All except the 3pm Saturday games.

Hmm, still in two minds whether to get it, might wait a few months. I see people having issues, are there many problems?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭reboot

Any idea if BBC and ITV have any plans to Tx 4k before there is a rush to change our TVs? Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

The only thing I've seen so far is a BBC test loop on 19°. I wouldn't hold my breath for anything FTA on 28° in the near future.

I thought I would have difficulty with skyQ silver box and remote record so I tried with the original Sky+ record app and it worked perfectly, I hadn't to do anything it connected to the skyQ box straight away, I thought it would ask me for the new card nr, it least something works without hassle

Am really missing the 'Favourites' option, I thought it might have come with the last update

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,054 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

AMGer wrote: »

All except the 3pm Saturday games.
    Yes I meant all live games under Sky's contract for UK coverage. 3.00pm Saturday matches are ROI only games and therefore do not come under EUFA blackout.

Advertisement