Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sky Q

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭sticker

Apologies if this isn't posting before but I just got sky q installed and not sure if it's just me but the HD channels don't seem to be at the high quality a reception as the old HD Sky box is there any truth to this?

the HD reception seens to be lower resolution.

my settings in Q are 1080p

Also I have a Sony 4K TV put in the sky Q settings to 4K option does not come up anyone else have an issue with Sony 4K TV and Sky Q picking up that resolution?

• Subscribers Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭TCP/IP

What is the exact model of TV you have. There has been big issues with Sony TV and Sky Q. Sony have admitted the issues and committed to providing a firmware update.
    sticker wrote: »
    Apologies if this isn't posting before but I just got sky q installed and not sure if it's just me but the HD channels don't seem to be at the high quality a reception as the old HD Sky box is there any truth to this?

Also I have a Sony 4K TV put in the sky Q settings to 4K option does not come up anyone else have an issue with Sony 4K TV and Sky Q picking up that resolution?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,130 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

TCP/IP wrote:
    What is the exact model of TV you have. There has been big issues with Sony TV and Sky Q. Sony have admitted the issues and committed to providing a firmware update.

The issue with some Sony 4k tv's is juddering. I still have this issue from time to time but the last Sony firmware update made a big difference. Sounds like poster is using the wrong cable, is routing the hdmi cable through an amp instead of directly to the tv or has the settings wrong.
    I still have some issues with juddering and the sound drops for a second every now and then

sticker wrote:

sticker wrote:

sticker wrote:

sticker wrote:

Are using an amp?

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭mdfire

sticker wrote: »

Are you connected to the correct HDMI input on the back of the TV? There is normally only one thats capable of 4k.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

mdfire wrote: »
    Are you connected to the correct HDMI input on the back of the TV? There is normally only one thats capable of 4k.
    This...I was wondering why ever time I wanted to watch uhd soccer it was telling me my tv was not supported ...turned out only one of my HDMI inputs supported uHD ...it's a newish LG Tv ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,342 ✭✭✭✭starlit

Is the Sky Q box worth getting? How much does it cost for current sky customers?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,196 ✭✭✭✭muffler

doovdela wrote: »
    How much does it cost for current sky customers?
    Sky reps wont even answer that question publicly as there are different factors to be taken into account i.e. type of box required, what offers you currently avail of etc etc. Have a read through this thread if you wish but you would have to call them to get the correct price or post in their talk to forum and they'll call you back.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,673 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Any sign of this BT Sport mini-box ban getting overturned? It's a real pain.
    cc8v0.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭mdfire

Any sign of this BT Sport mini-box ban getting overturned? It's a real pain.
    cc8v0.jpg

It has...but you have to pay Eir for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,051 ✭✭✭jones

Anyone else's mini's falling off the network at all? I've noticed since last update the mini randomly cannot connect to the Q box but turning the Q box on seems to sort out the problem. My internet isn't great (10mb) so could be a bandwidth issue for me

• Registered Users Posts: 4,771 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

jones wrote: »
    Anyone else's mini's falling off the network at all? I've noticed since last update the mini randomly cannot connect to the Q box but turning the Q box on seems to sort out the problem. My internet isn't great (10mb) so could be a bandwidth issue for me

My mini wud do the same thing. Read online somewhere that turning off eco mode on ur main sky q box might help. Don't know if it is a long term fix as I've only recently done that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Yeah my mini box sometimes won't connect and needs to be reset.

The app is erratic enough too on my tablet.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,673 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Same issue for me. Sky guy told me I need at least 6 whatever the unit is Internet speed and I'm only getting 4.5. Eir say I am getting 6+. So I don't know how to take the issue forward...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

Same issue for me. Sky guy told me I need at least 6 whatever the unit is Internet speed and I'm only getting 4.5. Eir say I am getting 6+. So I don't know how to take the issue forward...

Complete hogwash. Internet speed has nothing to do with the boxes connecting to each other. Try disabling eco mode on the main box as was suggested earlier. The only time Internet speed comes into play is when you're downloading something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭Tropheus

Can anyone confirm if the SkyQ box and mini boxes have optical outputs for an amp?

Have two HD boxes in the house at the moment both connected to amps. Called Sky today to see how much a third box would be. Kids want a box in their room so they can watch their own channels (assuming mini boxes can watch different channels to main box). They told me that Sky HD boxes are no longer available and would have to move to SkyQ. The main box and two mini boxes would fit the bill. Once they can watch their own stuff, it's not a big deal that mini boxes will record on to the main box. Also have a fourth television in the kitchen with a HD connection via CAT5. I presume that will still work with SkyQ as it just uses a HDMI switch.

Will probably take the jump before Christmas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,586 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Tropheus wrote: »
    Can anyone confirm if the SkyQ box and mini boxes have optical outputs for an amp?

Can't confirm but technical details here - https://corporate.sky.com/media-centre/skyq/product%20fact%20sheets
    Tropheus wrote: »
    Kids want a box in their room so they can watch their own channels (assuming mini boxes can watch different channels to main box).

Yes, you can watch different channels, the silver box has 2 tuners reservedfor 2 mini boxes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭Tropheus

Cheers TC, looking at the specs, both the main and mini SkyQ boxes do have an optical output.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Rizzo the Rat

Quick question, I ordered Sky Q Silver and I am getting it installed in a couple of weeks, do you get a new viewing card with Sky Q or is your existing one just put in the new box? The reason I am asking is because I have an Eir Sport sub so if a new card is issued I will need to contact them to ask them to pair the new card number with my Eir sub.
    Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,821 ✭✭✭zg3409

Quick question, I ordered Sky Q Silver and I am getting it installed in a couple of weeks, do you get a new viewing card with Sky Q or is your existing one just put in the new box?

I am not sure on your exact question, but note you will not get Eir sport on anything but the main box unless you pay extra. The charges on Sky Q for Eir sport are different to older boxes. You could ask your question in this thread:
    http://www.boards.ie/ttfthread/2057633316/

• Advertisement

Quick question, I ordered Sky Q Silver and I am getting it installed in a couple of weeks, do you get a new viewing card with Sky Q or is your existing one just put in the new box? The reason I am asking is because I have an Eir Sport sub so if a new card is issued I will need to contact them to ask them to pair the new card number with my Eir sub.
    Thanks

If you get a new card then your whole account would be transferred to the new card inc Eir sport. The installation engineer should make sure that all your channels are working on the day.

Sorry zg3409 if not clear.
    I am an existing Sky customer
    I am an existing Eir customer via Sky
    I ordered Sky Q Silver
    Do you get a new viewing card when you get Sky Q installed?
    If so will I need to contact Eir and ask them to pair the new card to my existing sub?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,821 ✭✭✭zg3409

Sorry zg3409 if not clear.
    I am an existing Sky customer
    I am an existing Eir customer via Sky
    I ordered Sky Q Silver
    Do you get a new viewing card when you get Sky Q installed?
    If so will I need to contact Eir and ask them to pair the new card to my existing sub?

As already explained, if you do get a new card, you will not need to contact Eir, as the engineer installing will re-pair the new card and all your old services will be the same.

However even existing Eir sport customers need to pay EVEN MORE to watch the matches in other rooms. You can only watch the matches on the main box, they will not work on the smaller Sky q multiroom units, without the extra payment. See the link included before. This is important to understand, especially if your main TV is not connected directly to the main Sky box. Some people install the smaller boxes hidden behind the main TV, but then cannot access the Eir sport matches without paying extra.

Thanks zg3409. I am aware of the issue re the mini in other rooms and Eir.
    But not sure why you say "if" you get a new card. That is my whole question. Do you get a new card as per standard with Sky Q? Or is it a case by case basis??
    Can any existing Sky customers you got Sky Q installed pls confirm?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,771 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

Thanks zg3409. I am aware of the issue re the mini in other rooms and Eir.
    But not sure why you say "if" you get a new card. That is my whole question. Do you get a new card as per standard with Sky Q? Or is it a case by case basis??
    Can any existing Sky customers you got Sky Q installed pls confirm?

You will get a new card in the post before the engineers visit. The engineer will look for the card on the day of installation.

There is no need to contact any subscription provider other than SKY with new card details as SKY switch the card over with all subscriptions.

I subscribe to the BT Sports pack and that was automatically on my new card. This was my experience anyway. I had no extra work to do after the installation.

At last!! Thanks jimmytwotimes 2013. That is what I was looking for someone to confirm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 602 ✭✭✭one man clappin

I did not receive a new viewing card in the post prior to the Engineer's visit to install SkyQ. He had a card with him and one phone call to Sky and it was set up. EirSport did not work initially, i rang Eir and gave them the old viewing card number and the new card number and within a couple of minutes the stations were up and working.
    Please note that EirSport/BTSport will only work on the main SkyQ box, if you want to watch them on another mini box it will cost you €10 per month per box extra.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,377 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

I did not receive a new viewing card in the post prior to the Engineer's visit to install SkyQ. He had a card with him and one phone call to Sky and it was set up. EirSport did not work initially, i rang Eir and gave them the old viewing card number and the new card number and within a couple of minutes the stations were up and working.
    Please note that EirSport/BTSport will only work on the main SkyQ box, if you want to watch them on another mini box it will cost you €10 per month per box extra.

It's just €10 extra for BT/eirsport multi room not €10 per box.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,051 ✭✭✭jones

Any sign of Sky enabling the 5ghz channel if your not using sky router? I cant help feel my mini issue would be lessened if i could use both 2.4ghz and 5ghz

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,259 ✭✭✭techdiver

jones wrote: »
    Any sign of Sky enabling the 5ghz channel if your not using sky router? I cant help feel my mini issue would be lessened if i could use both 2.4ghz and 5ghz

Much of the issues with the mini's doesn't actually revolve around the lack of use of the 2.4Ghz channel, rather the exact implementation of the 5Ghz mesh.

I did detailed tests and provided my results to Sky on this. The hard code the mesh to use channel 36 on the 80Mhz band. This is the route cause of many issues. If there is another 5Ghz wifi network in the same zone that uses channels 36 - 48 it will cause issues with the minis without doubt. You can mitigate this by changing any other wifi networks you have control over to channel 52 and above, but this is not possible if you live in an area where neighbours wifi will leak into your premises.

The use of the 80Mhz is puzzling especially. It ups the top level bandwidth by blowers the range. The bandwidth required for the minis doesn't come close to needing the use of the 80Mhz band.

A couple of simple things Sky can do to resolve this.

1. Make the wifi channel configurable.

or

2. Run a site survey before auto selecting the best channel available and any time disconnect are suffered re-run the site survey again and switch channels.

Advertisement