Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sky Q

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,829 ✭✭✭shmeee

I thinking of getting the Q lads on a new account and one question I have is how does the mini box run?

Off wi-fi in the house? So no wiring needed to the mini box from the dish?

And also how fast will the broadband need to be? Would 12mb be enough?

Don't want to order it if it won't run smoothly.

*I went back a few pages and couldn't find much of the answers I needed before someone jumps in.

Thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,821 ✭✭✭zg3409

I thinking of getting the Q lads on a new account and one question I have is how does the mini box run?

Off wi-fi in the house? So no wiring needed to the mini box from the dish?

Yes
    And also how fast will the broadband need to be? Would 12mb be enough?
    Yes
    Don't want to order it if it won't run smoothly.

Well it is not your broadband speed that determines if the q mini is 'smooth', it is the wifi connection from the mini to the main box. So the main thing that can upset it, is if there are lots of nearby neighbours wifi signals, and if the signal is a bit weak. There is no guarantee it will be OK, and some people here reported 'crashing' or rebooting needed now and then. It is best to have your main TV connected directly to the dish and the main box, while the less used TVs are on the mini. If you run a computer cable to each box then the wifi is not used and so it could fix some wifi problems. If you have a Sky broadband box, it generally works better as it has been designed to work with their system, while other broadband providers boxes have not.

Another thing to note is you probably will lose all recordings from the old box, so you may want to binge before switching over.

zg3409 wrote: »
    Yes

Yes

Well it is not your broadband speed that determines if the q mini is 'smooth', it is the wifi connection from the mini to the main box. So the main thing that can upset it, is if there are lots of nearby neighbours wifi signals, and if the signal is a bit weak. There is no guarantee it will be OK, and some people here reported 'crashing' or rebooting needed now and then. It is best to have your main TV connected directly to the dish and the main box, while the less used TVs are on the mini. If you run a computer cable to each box then the wifi is not used and so it could fix some wifi problems. If you have a Sky broadband box, it generally works better as it has been designed to work with their system, while other broadband providers boxes have not.

Another thing to note is you probably will lose all recordings from the old box, so you may want to binge before switching over.

Thank you.

The main box will be in living room and mini above it then in bedroom.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,051 ✭✭✭jones

Folks has anyone gotten the following error

This screen does not support HDCP. Try reconnecting your HDMI cable, or use a different screen.

I have sky q integrated into my home cinema so runs through amp and then to tv. When I'm watching a bluray and switch back to sky q I get the error above. In fact it's the only time I ever get it. The only way to resolve it is to unplug the Q box as it becomes unresponsive. I use harmony remote for switching so not sure what's causing it. Seems to be during the switch between inputs on the amp that's confusing the q box

Anyone else with an amp seeing this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,130 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

I found it simpler to use the optical cable for dolby digital & hdmi directly from sky q to TV. Also the sound dropping isn't as bad this way

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

jones wrote: »
    Folks has anyone gotten the following error

This screen does not support HDCP. Try reconnecting your HDMI cable, or use a different screen.

I have sky q integrated into my home cinema so runs through amp and then to tv. When I'm watching a bluray and switch back to sky q I get the error above. In fact it's the only time I ever get it. The only way to resolve it is to unplug the Q box as it becomes unresponsive. I use harmony remote for switching so not sure what's causing it. Seems to be during the switch between inputs on the amp that's confusing the q box

Anyone else with an amp seeing this?

I was getting this and it seems to be a common issue...I just had to change to a particular hdmi port ...it also happens me if I turn on Sky Q box before Tv but is fine if I turn TV on first then sky box ...I googled it for a solution and it does seem to an known issue..

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭R.F.

So Ive had SKY Q for about 4 months now. I must say I love it

I think I might be one of the luckier ones, in that I have experienced very little issues with the main box

But the one upstairs, has frozen (Black screen, totally unresponsive) now I would say 4-5 times since we got it. It usually involves unplugging it, once I even had to restart the box downstairs to get it working again

Is this a common issue? Or should I be concerned there is an actual fault?

R.F. wrote: »
    So Ive had SKY Q for about 4 months now. I must say I love it

I think I might be one of the luckier ones, in that I have experienced very little issues with the main box

But the one upstairs, has frozen (Black screen, totally unresponsive) now I would say 4-5 times since we got it. It usually involves unplugging it, once I even had to restart the box downstairs to get it working again

Is this a common issue? Or should I be concerned there is an actual fault?

Based on reports on this thread it does seem to be common. It may or may not be improved with future fixes and updates.

harr wrote: »
    I was getting this and it seems to be a common issue...I just had to change to a particular hdmi port ...it also happens me if I turn on Sky Q box before Tv but is fine if I turn TV on first then sky box ...I googled it for a solution and it does seem to an known issue..

I was thinking it could be something to do with that but the odd thing is it only occurs when i switch from watching a bluray back to watching Sky Q. My other half doesn't use the harmony remote so she uses the normal remotes in random order and its never occurred. My amp is an Onkyo 818 so all its HDMI ports are 1.4 which should be fine. The TV also has all its HDMI ports at 1.4 (i'm not using 4k so everything matches up here) changing ports for me shouldnt make a difference.

Just thinking even when switching from PS4 to Sky Q there is no issue so this is getting stranger

Not sure if its the amp or the Q box that's causing the issue

I was thinking it could be something to do with that but the odd thing is it only occurs when i switch from watching a bluray back to watching Sky Q. My other half doesn't use the harmony remote so she uses the normal remotes in random order and its never occurred. My amp is an Onkyo 818 so all its HDMI ports are 1.4 which should be fine. The TV also has all its HDMI ports at 1.4 (i'm not using 4k so everything matches up here) changing ports for me shouldnt make a difference.

Not sure if its the amp or the Q box that's causing the issue

HDCP is a handshake between the box and a TV. It is a stupid copyright prevention system that attempts to block sources from connecting to recorders if the content is copyright. I have seen a similar thing on an old Sky box with a TV, when the TV was off. If the box does not get the correct encrypted handshake, it pops up that error, and often that error is not actually displayed as often the TV is off at that point. I think each time you change source it may re-handshake or the box may not see a valid response when it wants. Normally putting the box in sleep mode and taking it out again re-starts the handshake, but you may need to have the correct source selected. Generally Sky blame the TV, as the box does work OK with some TVs. There may be firmware updates for your TV that fixes this, or possibly not. As suggested trying different HDMI ports may help, or making sure the box is in standby before you switch sources and before you switch back may help. In my case I swapped the TV to a different one and the problem did not happen. Up until then I just put the box back to sleep and out of sleep again.

• Advertisement

zg3409 wrote: »
    HDCP is a handshake between the box and a TV. It is a stupid copyright prevention system that attempts to block sources from connecting to recorders if the content is copyright. I have seen a similar thing on an old Sky box with a TV, when the TV was off. If the box does not get the correct encrypted handshake, it pops up that error, and often that error is not actually displayed as often the TV is off at that point. I think each time you change source it may re-handshake or the box may not see a valid response when it wants. Normally putting the box in sleep mode and taking it out again re-starts the handshake, but you may need to have the correct source selected. Generally Sky blame the TV, as the box does work OK with some TVs. There may be firmware updates for your TV that fixes this, or possibly not. As suggested trying different HDMI ports may help, or making sure the box is in standby before you switch sources and before you switch back may help. In my case I swapped the TV to a different one and the problem did not happen. Up until then I just put the box back to sleep and out of sleep again.

Thanks for the reply. All the home cinema firmware is up to date alright. I think in the short term i'll just keep shutting everything down when switching between Bluray and Sky Q. Its just odd that it only happens with that particular switch and not with others. I never had an issue before and even on last sky box everything was perfect

What are the maximum number of Multirooms you can have with SKYQ?

Currently I have the main HD box with 3 multiroom boxes, could I have the same with SKY Q?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,586 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

What are the maximum number of Multirooms you can have with SKYQ?

Currently I have the main HD box with 3 multiroom boxes, could I have the same with SKY Q?

You can have 4 mini boxes with SkyQ silver but can only use 2 at any one time or 1 with the basic SkyQ box. Limited by the number of tuners in each main box. Also 2 tuners on the SkyQ silver are available for other connected devices, tablet/phone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭eddiem74

Thanks for the reply. All the home cinema firmware is up to date alright. I think in the short term i'll just keep shutting everything down when switching between Bluray and Sky Q. Its just odd that it only happens with that particular switch and not with others. I never had an issue before and even on last sky box everything was perfect

Perhaps compare between activities on your harmony the order devices are powered on, etc between scenes that work and that don't just in case there is a difference.

Alternatively try the SkyQ connection in a different HDMI input on the receiver to see if it still happens. I remember in the past using DVD over CBL/SAT to resolve similar issues although that was a few years back.

As you have said, ensure everything not in use it turned off when the activity is selected.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Rizzo the Rat

Anyone have issues with noise from their Sky Q Silver box? Mine was making a fairly audible noise yesterday. But when I lifted it up I could hardly hear it. It is in a solid wooden TV cabinet and I think it is vibrating against the floor of the cabinet and causing the noise. Never happened with previous Sky boxes.
    I will look at putting in up on maybe some rubber mats/blocks and see if that helps.
    I was wondering what others have done besides calling Sky and asking them to replace the box. I believe it is a fairly common problem with them.

The Cush wrote: »
    You can have 4 mini boxes with SkyQ silver but can only use 2 at any one time or 1 with the basic SkyQ box. Limited by the number of tuners in each main box. Also 2 tuners on the SkyQ silver are available for other connected devices, tablet/phone.

Thanks for the reply, any idea why you cant use a 3rd multi room box at the same time if you can use two and a tablet?

I would have thought if the Sky Q box could transmit to 2 multi room boxes and 2 tablets at the same time it wouldn't have an issue with transmitting to 3 mini boxes.

Am I missing something?

Do you know if Sky have any plans to change this?

Thanks again.

any idea why you cant use a 3rd multi room box at the same time if you can use two and a tablet?

I would have thought if the Sky Q box could transmit to 2 multi room boxes and 2 tablets at the same time it wouldn't have an issue with transmitting to 3 mini boxes.

Am I missing something?

Do you know if Sky have any plans to change this?
    Sky have reserved tuners in the SkyQ receivers for specific purposes, not sure why they have done this but I have read that the number of mini box tuners may be upped to 4 at some point in future on the SkyQ silver box.

This is the SkyQ silver config, SkyQ basic receiver has 8 tuners
    Sky Q Silver – 12 tuners
    •1 for constant viewing.
    •4 for recording.
    •1 for picture-in-picture.
    •2 now (4 later) for the Mini Box.
    •2 for tablet streaming.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,223 ✭✭✭digiman

Read today that an upgrade in the new year will allow recording of 6 shows while watching a 7th. I'd be much more interested in having a 2nd box that can show 4k though.

digiman wrote: »
    Read today that an upgrade in the new year will allow recording of 6 shows while watching a 7th.

Link - http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2190377

The Cush wrote:
    Link -

I have voice search on my tv. I find it very handy.
    I can't see myself ever wanting to REC 6 programs at the same time so personally I'd prefer to be able to use the exact channels for extra boxes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,019 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

One of the user problems I see is the allocation of tuners for specific purposes.
    There should be no need for this at all.

All tuners should be available for any purpose the user wishes and allocated as demanded by the user.

The present breakdown of tuner allocation, according to a poster on digitalspy, is .....
    4 recordings
    2 mini
    2 tablet/mobile
    1 main box viewing
    1 epg data
    1 picture in picture (epg and my Q)
    1 spare

Why not have 12 tuners available for whatever the customer wants to do with them?

It is a relatively simple matter to do this for a FTA set up, so Sky is deliberately limiting what the user can do with the tuners.
    Of course with such a FTA set-up there would be no limitation on the 'type' of client device (mini box) used either .... tablet, PC, laptop etc.

The only novel aspect of the Sky Q setup seems to be the tuner box.
    There are no commercial boxes with a similar number of tuners available as far as I am aware.
    But if tuners are not 'allocated' and thus unavailable for other uses, then the number of tuners needed is not as large.

So, 'fair play' to Sky for moving forward with technology, and ensuring they keep their cash cow going. I respect their scheme from their commercial point of view.

On the other hand, their customers should be aware that they can have a similar, but less constrictive, set up for FTA for the one-off cost equivalent to less than a year's subscription to Sky Q.

I recognise that for those who really need the extra channels offered by Sky this would not be an acceptable option.

The present breakdown of tuner allocation, according to a poster on digitalspy, is .....
    4 recordings
    2 mini
    2 tablet/mobile
    1 main box viewing
    1 epg data
    1 spare

I posted this in that same thread ....

The CAI presentation at Evolving Connectivity 2016 gave the following breakdown

Sky Q Silver – 12 tuners
    •1 for constant viewing.
    •4 for recording.
    •2 now (4 later) for the Mini Box.
    •2 for tablet streaming

I assume the SkyQ basic 8 tuner receiver would be
    •1 for constant viewing.
    •3 for recording.
    •1 now (2 later) for the Mini Box.
    •1 for tablet streaming

Have the spare tuners, expected to be used for extra mini boxes, been reallocated to recording?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

One of the user problems I see is the allocation of tuners for specific purposes.
    There should be no need for this at all.

All tuners should be available for any purpose the user wishes and allocated as demanded by the user.

4 recordings
    2 mini
    2 tablet/mobile
    1 main box viewing
    1 epg data
    1 spare

Why not have 12 tuners available for whatever the customer wants to do with them?

It is a relatively simple matter to do this for a FTA set up, so Sky is deliberately limiting what the user can do with the tuners.
    Of course with such a FTA set-up there would be no limitation on the 'type' of client device (mini box) used either .... tablet, PC, laptop etc.

The only novel aspect of the Sky Q setup seems to be the tuner box.
    There are no commercial boxes with a similar number of tuners available as far as I am aware.
    But if tuners are not 'allocated' and thus unavailable for other uses, then the number of tuners needed is not as large.

So, 'fair play' to Sky for moving forward with technology, and ensuring they keep their cash cow going. I respect their scheme from their commercial point of view.

On the other hand, their customers should be aware that they can have a similar, but less constrictive, set up for FTA for the one-off cost equivalent to less than a year's subscription to Sky Q.

I recognise that for those who really need the extra channels offered by Sky this would not be an acceptable option.

The SkyQ software comes across as very early release beta software and is fairly unstable and riddled with problems. I doubt it could dynamically allocate tuners as needed - from a software point of view it would be easier/less complex to hard code specific tuners for specific purposes.

The mesh technology used to stream video to the mini's is also very "brittle" as far as WiFi technology goes and breaks down at the slightest source of interference or when under load, I doubt it could adequately handle 4xHD channels being streamed to 4 mini's at the same time in it's current state (tablet streams are transcoded and do not go over the mesh portion of the network so the pressure on the mesh is much less)

I imagine in time it will be opened up but they have their work cut out for them as it is to get the already announced features working properly and reliably first!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭galtee boy

Quick question and apologies if it's been answered already, but was I dreaming that I read somewhere that HD comes as standard ( as in not an extra €10 per month ),when you buy or upgrade to SkyQ ?

digiman wrote: »
    Read today that an upgrade in the new year will allow recording of 6 shows while watching a 7th.

Looks like this is the reason those spare tuners on the SkyQ box will be used for recording rather than 2 extra mini boxes, VM's new V6 Next Gen TiVo 4K UHD set top box

http://www.insideci.co.uk/news/4k-uhd-capable-virgin-tv-v6-tivo-box-announced.aspx

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,019 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

The Cush wrote: »
    Looks like this is the reason those spare tuners on the SkyQ box will be used for recording rather than 2 extra mini boxes, VM's new V6 Next Gen TiVo 4K UHD set top box

http://www.insideci.co.uk/news/4k-uhd-capable-virgin-tv-v6-tivo-box-announced.aspx

Difficult to say definitively, but it seems that the 6 tuners on the VM box are not 'fixed' to any one function and thus can be used as required for any function the user determines.
    The Sky Q method of fixed allocation of some tuners is wasteful.

Got sky q installed today, all good so far.

But I can't get the iphone sky q app to work, just says

"For the full sky q app experience please connect to a sky q box"

It won't let me connect, both are on same network here now.

And I can't go anywhere else in the app either.

shmeee wrote:
    But I can't get the iphone sky q app to work, just says

You need a tablet or laptop for the sky q app. Doesn't work on phones

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭mossie

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    You need a tablet or laptop for the sky q app. Doesn't work on phones

It does work on phones for the last month or so.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Heisenberg1

I have Sky Q installed over week now and I have the Q app installed on my phone works a treat. iPhone 7 plus

Advertisement