Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sky Q

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

Sleeper12 wrote:
    You need a tablet or laptop for the sky q app. Doesn't work on phones

I've an Android phone, the app works for me in the house once I'm connected to the box via WiFi.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,129 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

mossie wrote:
    It does work on phones for the last month or so.

I got my sky q in July & I haven't tried since then. I'll give it another go later. Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,829 ✭✭✭shmeee

I have Sky Q installed over week now and I have the Q app installed on my phone works a treat. iPhone 7 plus

Still can't find the sky q box, it's annoying me.

iphone 7 also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Heisenberg1

shmeee wrote: »
    Still can't find the sky q box, it's annoying me.

iphone 7 also.

Have you wi-fi switched on the phone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,829 ✭✭✭shmeee

Have you wi-fi switched on the phone?

Finally started working last night, dunno what was wrong. Just connected when I tried it again last night.

All good so far with Sky Q anyway, loving the new layout.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,259 ✭✭✭techdiver

Having serious issues lately with my Sky Q. My silver box doesn't broadcast a powerful enough signal for stable connection coupled with the fact that my neighbour has a WiFi network using channel 36 on 80mhz also, so any time he is using his WiFi my minis drop connection.

I see in the service menu that sky have now added a configuration for the wifi channel and width but they are showing a serious lack of understanding of wifi by restricting the selection to channel 36 (80mhz), 36 (40mhz) and 44 (40mhz)!!

That is as useful as a chocolate spoon as all those channels still overlap. In order to resolve the issue they need to allow full configuration and to utilise dfs channels i.e. 52 and above.

Having serious issues lately with my Sky Q. My silver box doesn't broadcast a powerful enough signal for stable connection coupled with the fact that my neighbour has a WiFi network using channel 36 on 80mhz also, so any time he is using his WiFi my minis drop connection.

I see in the service menu that sky have now added a configuration for the wifi channel and width but they are showing a serious lack of understanding of wifi by restricting the selection to channel 36 (80mhz), 36 (40mhz) and 44 (40mhz)!!

That is as useful as a chocolate spoon as all those channels still overlap. In order to resolve the issue they need to allow full configuration and to utilise dfs channels i.e. 52 and above.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭Tropheus

Got Sky Q installed on Monday. Silver and 2 minis. The installer also installed a booster for Sky Q. All was working great for the first couple of days, but now one of the minis id dropping the signal.

Anything I should look for? I'm not sure if the booster is configurable. I may need to check the channel it's broadcasting on. At the moment, we have Wi-Fi from the Eir router and an extender and now the booster is added to that mix.

The boxes are varying distances from booster and the booster is located just outside the room where the router is. The main box is about 30 feet from the booster and the minis are both around 20 feet away. There are two walls between both minis and the booster. One is fine and the other is dropping.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,051 ✭✭✭jones

Tropheus wrote: »
    Got Sky Q installed on Monday. Silver and 2 minis. The installer also installed a booster for Sky Q. All was working great for the first couple of days, but now one of the minis id dropping the signal.

Anything I should look for? I'm not sure if the booster is configurable. I may need to check the channel it's broadcasting on. At the moment, we have Wi-Fi from the Eir router and an extender and now the booster is added to that mix.

The boxes are varying distances from booster and the booster is located just outside the room where the router is. The main box is about 30 feet from the booster and the minis are both around 20 feet away. There are two walls between both minis and the booster. One is fine and the other is dropping.

Was the booster provided free of charge?

jones wrote: »

Yes.

• Advertisement

They only provide boosters for Sky broadband customers btw.

techdiver wrote: »

I'm not a SKY BB customer.

jones wrote: »

I got one free of charge at time of installation too

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Sparko

We had trouble with one of our mini boxes within first week of install - Sky sent an installer out and he put in a booster for free and we're not with them for broadband.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 728 ✭✭✭robert muldoon

I have skyQ now for about 5 months and find it excellent, very few problems with 2 minis but I seriously miss the the favourites button, I find the channels all over the place and some broadcasters are putting different programs on hd to their non hd e.g.: last weekend BBC 2 had rugby on non hd and another program on Hd, the 2 channels are not near each other and it took me ages to find the rugby game, why is it so difficult to give us back 'favourites ' I know plenty of people who want it and Sky are just ignoring the request

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Bradz213

I got one too and I'm with Eir BB. Depends on how nice you are / installation guy is

Bradz213 wrote:
    I got one too and I'm with Eir BB. Depends on how nice you are / installation guy is

Installation guy can't leave & sign off on the job unless the signal is strong enough to all boxes. If it's strong enough then no booster. If signal isn't strong enough they use booster.

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    Installation guy can't leave & sign off on the job unless the signal is strong enough to all boxes. If it's strong enough then no booster. If signal isn't strong enough they use booster.

Well I just asked him for one because I wasn't setting up the mini at the time of installation

I was on the phone to them the other day and was told they cannot order a booster without Sky BB. Typical inconsistency.

Never mind the people on the phone.

Sure I got one of those WIFI on demand connectors for my old box for free off the installations guys during a home move despite being told they were 15 quid when i rang up sky

• Advertisement

Are the boosters configurable in terms of the channel they broadcast on? Something I may need to look at.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,223 ✭✭✭digiman

My parents have standard Sky installed in their house, I was hoping to bring my Sky Q box and multi-room box down for Xmas as it has all the channels and could watch in another room also. I think I've read that it won't work as the LNB is on a different frequency, is there anything I can retrofit onto their dish to make my Sky Q work while I am down home? I did ring Sky about getting Sky Q installed in time for xmas but there are no appointments available unfortunately.

digiman wrote:
    My parents have standard Sky installed in their house, I was hoping to bring my Sky Q box and multi-room box down for Xmas as it has all the channels and could watch in another room also. I think I've read that it won't work as the LNB is on a different frequency, is there anything I can retrofit onto their dish to make my Sky Q work while I am down home? I did ring Sky about getting Sky Q installed in time for xmas but there are no appointments available unfortunately.

You can replace the LNB on the dish with a sky q LNB. Seems like a lot of bother IMO

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,821 ✭✭✭zg3409

digiman wrote: »

The Q main box needs at least 2 cables from the dish and a new LNB. It would be dodgy to try change the LNB yourself as you may upset the dish and it may end up needing a new dish if it is very rusty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,586 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

I think I've read that it won't work as the LNB is on a different frequency, is there anything I can retrofit onto their dish to make my Sky Q work while I am down home?

The SkyQ hybrid LNB works with both SkyQ and standard Sky and non-Sky receivers, 6 outputs. Requires the Mk4 Sky dish, from 2010 onwards if I remember correctly.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2053587.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.Xskyq+hybrid+lnb.TRS0&_nkw=skyq+hybrid+lnb&_sacat=0

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

Tropheus wrote: »
    Are the boosters configurable in terms of the channel they broadcast on? Something I may need to look at.

For SkyQ, no, they form part of the Q "mesh" network - all devices in the mesh operate on the same wireless channel and the mesh figures out which actual point is best for a device to communicate with at any given time.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭SmallBalls

Any decent discount deals on Sky Q yet?

SmallBalls wrote: »
    Any decent discount deals on Sky Q yet?

I couldn't get anything out of them three weeks ago. It's only a newish product so I'd doubt they'll be discounting yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,223 ✭✭✭digiman

The Cush wrote: »
    The SkyQ hybrid LNB works with both SkyQ and standard Sky and non-Sky receivers, 6 outputs. Requires the Mk4 Sky dish, from 2010 onwards if I remember correctly.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2053587.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.Xskyq+hybrid+lnb.TRS0&_nkw=skyq+hybrid+lnb&_sacat=0

How could one tell if it's a Mk4 dish or not?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,586 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

How could one tell if it's a Mk4 dish or not?

Mk.4 dishes were installed from June 2009, the most obvious thing would be the bubble level just forward of the LNB feedhorn (if it hasn't been removed).

Advertisement