Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sky Q

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Koloman

A report about Sky Q problems on the BBC One Watchdog programme now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,019 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Koloman wrote: »
    A report about Sky Q problems on the BBC One Watchdog programme now.

We apologise and are fixing the bugs! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,129 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

We apologise and are fixing the bugs!

Please reboot the box :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,486 ✭✭✭XsApollo

I've had it a month or 2 now , mini box upstairs and q silver box.
    Havnt had 1 issue with it and it's much better and slicker than the older boxes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭galtee boy

Just watched that Watchdog programme. If you were doubtful about getting SkyQ, this would certainly put you right off !

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,661 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

3 people of out a huge number.. if thats all it takes to put you off then i guess you are still using an FM radio as your source of entertainment :D

3 people of out a huge number.. if thats all it takes to put you off then i guess you are still using an FM radio as your source of entertainment :D

You expect the programme to have all those with complaints in studio or visit their homes?

Yeah.

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭galtee boy

No, it's a medium wave radio actually, though I can't figure out why I can't get RTE on it anymore and it's a nightmare trying to get valves for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,259 ✭✭✭techdiver

The issue is primarily with the wifi mesh. Some customers who don't have a second wifi network in their house or within range of their house will not experience any issues. For non sky broadband customers the problems would tend to be more widespread. The reason is the strict use of the 80Mhz band on channel 36 only for the wifi mesh between the boxes. They did recently change a setting in the engineering menu whereby you can change the channel, BUT the only options are:

Channel 36/80Mhz
    Channel 36/40Mhz
    Channel 44/40Mhz

The problem with the above change (and most worryingly as it would seem the people working on this do not understand the basics of wifi channel overlap) is that essentially all the above do not resolve any issues with overlapping wifi networks.

The below image explains this easily:

channel-overlap-3.png

In a typical setup a non sky broadband customer (or a sky broadband customer with an second router) has a 5Ghz AC wifi running on channel 36/80Mhz. This means any time they use it they will cause issues with their mini boxes. Whilst this is "fixable" for the end user, it is not the case whereby another wifi network that is within range of your sky mesh is using channel 36/80Mhz. I had an issue whereby if my neighbour was using their wifi my TV would lose signal.

What I cannot understand is why add a configuration that allows selection of channels that will not resolve the issue? Why not make the option available to select any usable wifi channel to run the mesh on?

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Szero

I am looking to convert from Sky Q to FTA satellite. My 12 month contract will be up next year. I live in an apartment complex. Can someone please point me towards an idiots guide to converting from Sky Q to FTA in an apartment complex? Cheers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

techdiver wrote: »
    The issue is primarily with the wifi mesh. Some customers who don't have a second wifi network in their house or within range of their house will not experience any issues. For non sky broadband customers the problems would tend to be more widespread. The reason is the strict use of the 80Mhz band on channel 36 only for the wifi mesh between the boxes. They did recently change a setting in the engineering menu whereby you can change the channel, BUT the only options are:

Channel 36/80Mhz
    Channel 36/40Mhz
    Channel 44/40Mhz

The problem with the above change (and most worryingly as it would seem the people working on this do not understand the basics of wifi channel overlap) is that essentially all the above do not resolve any issues with overlapping wifi networks.

The below image explains this easily:

channel-overlap-3.png

In a typical setup a non sky broadband customer (or a sky broadband customer with an second router) has a 5Ghz AC wifi running on channel 36/80Mhz. This means any time they use it they will cause issues with their mini boxes. Whilst this is "fixable" for the end user, it is not the case whereby another wifi network that is within range of your sky mesh is using channel 36/80Mhz. I had an issue whereby if my neighbour was using their wifi my TV would lose signal.

What I cannot understand is why add a configuration that allows selection of channels that will not resolve the issue? Why not make the option available to select any usable wifi channel to run the mesh on?

I think it's more that Sky Q the platform seems to still be in the very early stages of development as a whole right now. Until they've had time to develop it a bit more they're keeping it very limited as to what you can configure and what options the software has available.

Same goes in a way for the fact Sky Q Silver has 12 tuners but each tuner is hard assigned to a particular task at the moment rather than being able to dynamically allocate itself according to what's needed right now.
    (4 recordings, 2 Q mini, 2 tablets, 1 for live viewing, 1 for live preview, 1 for EPG, 1 for picture-in-picture (unused at present). Even if you aren't viewing on tablets, the 2 "tablet tuners" can't be used for something else like a fifth recording or a third Q mini.)

The immediate problem with opening up the additional WiFi channels is because all of the other channels outside of 36-48 are DFS (Dynamic Frequency Selection) which is not solely set aside for WiFi alone but is shared with radar.

This creates two problems:
    1) it needs the "main" WiFi access point to constantly scan for the presence of radar and if it detects radar immediately stop all traffic on that channel, find a new clear channel, announce the new channel to every device connected to the WiFi network then change to the new clear channel and this all has to be done instantaneously - all of that needs to be implemented in software
    2) not all devices support DFS (or the entire range of DFS channels) which will impact the hotspot feature

All of that's before the whole Airties mesh aspect even comes into it.

Sky have made indications they intend to loosen up the above tuner restrictions early next year so I'm sure in time Sky will also open up the DFS range for use with the mesh and figure out ways of seamlessly channel hopping across the DFS range.

Plus there's another big aspect of the mesh technology, Powerline, which hasn't officially been enabled yet either. You could up to now manually enable it on Sky Q TV boxes, but it was completely locked out and unavailable on the Sky Q hub and Sky Q boosters until very recently.

For now it is probably easier from their end if they keep the software simple and somewhat locked down until they can develop the platform out a bit more. Even if by doing so they're in effect helping to contribute somewhat towards WiFi connectivity problems.

There's plenty of other underlying bugs and issues to be fixed as it is!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,586 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Szero wrote: »
    I am looking to convert from Sky Q to FTA satellite. My 12 month contract will be up next year. I live in an apartment complex. Can someone please point me towards an idiots guide to converting from Sky Q to FTA in an apartment complex?

Don't know of any idiot's guide to assist you, just post your questions here and someone will be able to assist.

How many satellite cables to your apartment?
    Is your apartment connected directly to a dish or a SkyQ compatible dSCR multiswitch setup?
    When your SkyQ contract ends will the management company disconnect the satellite cable(s) to your apartment, leaving you with no satellite connection?

SkyQ requires either a single cable SCR feed from an appropriate dSCR multiswitch to feed multiple SkyQ tuners or 2 wideband feeds from a non-standard wideband LNB on the dish while a FTA or Freesat box requires 2 legacy feeds to 2 tuners e.g. a twin tuner satellite recorder, from a standard universal LNB or dSCR multiswitch with outputs in legacy mode .

If the current feed is in single cable SCR mode to the SkyQ box then when you connect another standard legacy FTA/Freesat receiver it my not receive a working signal as the SkyQ compatible multiswitch output is locked to SCR mode until the multiswitch is powered off/on.

Kensington wrote: »
    (4 recordings, 2 Q mini, 2 tablets, 1 for live viewing, 1 for live preview, 1 for EPG, 1 for picture-in-picture (unused at present). Even if you aren't viewing on tablets, the 2 "tablet tuners" can't be used for something else like a fifth recording or a third Q mini.)

A CAI presentation at Evolving Connectivity 2016 gave the following breakdown of tuners in the SkyQ silver box

Sky Q Silver – 12 tuners
    •1 for constant viewing.
    •4 for recording.
    •1 for picture-in-picture.
    •2 now (4 later) for the Mini Box.
    •2 for tablet streaming

Is would appear the 2 spare tuners for future mini-boxes will be reallocated to increase the number of recording tuners to 6

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Szero

The Cush wrote: »
    How many satellite cables to your apartment?

Is your apartment connected directly to a dish or a SkyQ compatible dSCR multiswitch setup?

The cable connects to a white box which is hidden under the balcony of another apartment. Hence, I guess it is a SkyQ compatible dSCR multiswitch setup?
    When your SkyQ contract ends will the management company disconnect the satellite cable(s) to your apartment, leaving you with no satellite connection?

The management company will not disconnect the cables.
    If the current feed is in single cable SCR mode to the SkyQ box then when you connect another standard legacy FTA/Freesat receiver it my not receive a working signal as the SkyQ compatible multiswitch output is locked to SCR mode until the multiswitch is powered off/on.

Is there anyway around this issue for someone who has no access to the dish / box?

Thanks.

A CAI presentation at Evolving Connectivity 2016 gave the following breakdown of tuners in the SkyQ silver box

Sky Q Silver – 12 tuners
    •1 for constant viewing.
    •4 for recording.
    •1 for picture-in-picture.
    •2 now (4 later) for the Mini Box.
    •2 for tablet streaming

Is would appear the 2 spare tuners for future mini-boxes will be reallocated to increase the number of recording tuners to 6

Is there any indication why tuners are specifically allocated, and not 'in a pool' from which each device draws?
    I think I would much prefer to be able to record something important on an extra tuner rather than have P-i-P available, or have a third tablet capable of viewing.

Szero wrote: »
    Is there anyway around this issue for someone who has no access to the dish / box?
    Talk to the management company?

Is there any indication why tuners are specifically allocated, and not 'in a pool' from which each device draws?

No.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭JTMan

Talk to the management company?

What exactly do I need to say to the management company? Thank you.

JTMan wrote: »
    What exactly do I need to say to the management company? Thank you.

Having no personal experience of management companies I assume having tested a new FTA box on the connection and if it doesn't work out of the box you could ask them to reset or change over your connection to work with the new box. They may have to get someone in to do this.

A point to note, a single cable input will only allow viewing or recording of a single channel with a legacy FTA box.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭notahappycamper

Hi,

Any long time Sky customers on here who have being paying €100 plus per month for Sky get any deal on up grading to Sky Q?

We have 3 TVs in the house so would be looking at getting the Sky Q Silver box and 2 minis.

There would be no change to the monthly fee but €360 for the installation fee and cost of renting the 2 mini boxes.

• Advertisement

Hi,

Any long time Sky customers on here who have being paying €100 plus per month for Sky get any deal on up grading to Sky Q?

We have 3 TVs in the house so would be looking at getting the Sky Q Silver box and 2 minis.

There would be no change to the monthly fee but €360 for the installation fee and cost of renting the 2 mini boxes.

They are really getting stuck in on installation fees. I have mine since July & I'm happy with it.
    Installation Took an hour. He changed the LNB on the dish and changed boxes in the sitting room. He was then 10 minutes upstairs installing the 2 mini boxes

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    They are really getting stuck in on installation fees. I have mine since July & I'm happy with it.
    Installation Took an hour. He changed the LNB on the dish and changed boxes in the sitting room. He was then 10 minutes upstairs installing the 2 mini boxes

Thanks. I was hoping they might do something for me given the amount we are paying them each month. Will suss them out to see.

Also, if you had the old multi-room set up do they take the redundant cable away and fill in the hole in the wall or is that up to you?

Also, if you had the old multi-room set up do they take the redundant cable away and fill in the hole in the wall or is that up to you?

I don't know.
    Personally I think I'd rather keep the cables. Makes it easier to go free to air if you fall out with sky

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭Tropheus

No. Didn't offer to do that when I had mine installed early in the month. Would want to keep the cables anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,829 ✭✭✭shmeee

My sky q mini box which I plugged in yesterday, doesn't seem to be connecting correctly.

The sky box sets and catch up TV are slow to load.

I am running eir broadband, eir router is about 10 foot away from main sky q box and sky q mini box is directly upstairs above the main sky q box.

The main box runs smoothly and no issues, the mini one meanwhile is laggy on the home menu.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,021 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

Hi All

WAs looking to upgrade to this and went online, said 80 euro install but when I get to the end it says 179 ?

Looks wrong to me, has anyone got it for free ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,259 ✭✭✭techdiver

shmeee wrote: »
    My sky q mini box which I plugged in yesterday, doesn't seem to be connecting correctly.

I am running eir broadband, eir router is about 10 foot away from main sky q box and sky q mini box is directly upstairs above the main sky q box.

The main box runs smoothly and no issues, the mini one meanwhile is laggy on the home menu.

Check to see what 5ghz channel your eir wifi is running on. If it's 36 change it to something above 52 if you can.

I don't have eir so I can't tell you where this can be changed on the router admin ui, but maybe someone else here can.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,486 ✭✭✭XsApollo

shmeee wrote: »

When they installed mine they also installed a wifi extender to get a better signal to the mini.
    You can check what kind of signal the mini box is getting and it has to be above a certain value to work properly.
    Dunno how to check it tho, proabably find out online somewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,051 ✭✭✭jones

techdiver wrote: »
    Check to see what 5ghz channel your eir wifi is running on. If it's 36 change it to something above 52 if you can.

I don't have eir so I can't tell you where this can be changed on the router admin ui, but maybe someone else here can.

I must try this. I am with Eir (F2000 modem with 2.4Ghz and 5ghz channels) and can never connect to my sky q silver box via the app even though i have the little tick in the settings. I've reset it so many times changed passwords etc as well.

If in friends who have Sky Q and Sky broadband my app connects straight away

Advertisement