Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sky Q

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,829 ✭✭✭shmeee

techdiver wrote: »
    Check to see what 5ghz channel your eir wifi is running on. If it's 36 change it to something above 52 if you can.

I don't have eir so I can't tell you where this can be changed on the router admin ui, but maybe someone else here can.

I'll check when home later so.

I can connect to it then on my sky q box once it's above 52 I take it.

Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,259 ✭✭✭techdiver

shmeee wrote: »
    I'll check when home later so.

I can connect to it then on my sky q box once it's above 52 I take it.

Thanks.

It's just something to check. Sky Q uses channel 36 by default with no real way to change to a non crossing channel. If any other wifi network in the vicinity of the sky q uses channels 36-48 it will interfere with sky q.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,051 ✭✭✭jones

It's just something to check. Sky Q uses channel 36 by default with no real way to change to a non crossing channel. If any other wifi network in the vicinity of the sky q uses channels 36-48 it will interfere with sky q.

Pretty sure that's what's happening mine. I'll test this evening and report back

I changed the channel on the 5g to 52.

Do I have to change the 2.4g channel also?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,259 ✭✭✭techdiver

I changed the channel on the 5g to 52.

Do I have to change the 2.4g channel also?

No the mesh that sky q uses is on the 5ghz band only.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 660 ✭✭✭popsy09

Have sky q about 2 weeks now getting on ok with it but only tonight my wife recorded big brother it was about 30 mins in and she wanted to start from the start then

It's not coming up in recordings or any of the folders and will not rewind to the start when watching live

It actually freezes when ya try to rewind

Anyone have any suggestions ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,129 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

popsy09 wrote:
    Anyone have any suggestions ?

When it's not recording, reboot the box. This might sort it for you

No the mesh that sky q uses is on the 5ghz band only.

All good so far after changing the channel on the 5g broadband. No problems since.

Thank you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭reboot

Sorry if already discussed, but a friend has cancelled his contract with Sky, and offered me his SkyQ boxes.
    Will Sky switch me over from my contract to Q, and am I saving anything from having the box?
    They don't appear interested in collecting the equipment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,586 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

reboot wrote: »
    They don't appear interested in collecting the equipment.
    The SkyQ equipment remains their property and has to be returned once the contract ends or a non-return charge applies.

http://www.sky.com/ireland/__PDF/SkyQ_Contracts_ROI_xLaunch_versionx.pdf

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Tom2

My mini-box has connected fine to the main box since being installed about 6 months ago (although having to be reconnected from time to time). Suddenly, it's not connecting - I went through the usual rigmarole and at Step 3 it says that the router is not giving it an IP address. I tried restarting the router twice, still the same. The main box is connecting fine to the router, as are various other devices in the house, so the issue seems specific to the mini-box. Any ideas as to a remedy, short of getting Sky to send an engineer out?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,771 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

Tom2 wrote: »
    My mini-box has connected fine to the main box since being installed about 6 months ago (although having to be reconnected from time to time). Suddenly, it's not connecting - I went through the usual rigmarole and at Step 3 it says that the router is not giving it an IP address. I tried restarting the router twice, still the same. The main box is connecting fine to the router, as are various other devices in the house, so the issue seems specific to the mini-box. Any ideas as to a remedy, short of getting Sky to send an engineer out?

Have you turned off eco mode on the main box? That helped with mine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

There's an option within the mini box, can't remember what it's called exactly but it's along the line of reinitialising, basically it's a reset. Have you tried that?

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Tom2

Have you turned off eco mode on the main box? That helped with mine.

Thanks, tried that but didn't work. Sky engineer has been booked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 650 ✭✭✭Mister Gooey

Do a factory reset and get the mini to connect to the main Q box.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,377 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

When it is reconnecting, it says to press the home button when the screen goes blank. OUrs regularly have to be reset; i find it's best leave it at blank scren for 5 minutes or so and it automatically hunts for hte network.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 728 ✭✭✭robert muldoon

If anyone for Sky is reading these forums, could they please give me a reply in relation to favourites on Sky Q - Will it ever be installed or am I wasting my time asking?

If anyone for Sky is reading these forums, could they please give me a reply in relation to favourites on Sky Q - Will it ever be installed or am I wasting my time asking?

This isn't on the official sky forum. If you ask there they'll reply within a day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,528 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

You really should ask that on the Sky Talk To Page if you want Sky people to read it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭irishgirl19

reboot wrote:
    Sorry if already discussed, but a friend has cancelled his contract with Sky, and offered me his SkyQ boxes. Will Sky switch me over from my contract to Q, and am I saving anything from having the box? They don't appear interested in collecting the equipment.

No. Sky own the equipment

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭Truckermal

I was thinking about getting this but I'm told that you need fantastic broadband, is that just for downloading stuff?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭reboot

Thanks irishgirl19 thats what I thought,I think they will be dumped, pity but I think I'll stay out of it. useless broadband in these parts anyway.

Truckermal wrote: »
    I was thinking about getting this but I'm told that you need fantastic broadband, is that just for downloading stuff?

Fantastic?

What were you told speed wise?

The engineer told me anything around a solid 5mb connection will do.

I'm only hitting 12mb and no issues here anyway, the odd time I had to reset the mini box now and again when it looses connection.

Programmes download away, you can start watching them once a certain percentage downloaded so no real issue there to be honest, downloads away in background.

Truckermal wrote:

Everything live comes from the dish.
    Several programs and movies are "on demand" (already downloaded to the box).
    Even with bad broadband it just means waiting for a few minutes before you start watching the program. Also you can download stuff while you are in work, asleep etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭Truckermal

Fantastic?

What were you told speed wise?

The engineer told me anything around a solid 5mb connection will do.

I'm only hitting 12mb and no issues here anyway, the odd time I had to reset the mini box now and again when it looses connection.

Programmes download away, you can start watching them once a certain percentage downloaded so no real issue there to be honest, downloads away in background.

He said about 5mbs is needed and I normally have 15mbs at peak times! It's working out at 55 euro per month for Variety and kids pack plus the multi room..My current subscription is only 35 so I don't know if it's worth it!

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭mdfire

Truckermal wrote: »

Ive 2mb broadband and Sky Q. The technicians that come out tell you this that you need to good broadband for it to work. Absolute rubbish.

The broadband element is for on demand stuff. Nothing else.

Ive had problems with connectivity within the house between boxes. But thats due to the size of the house and nothing to do with broadband. There was a guy out at xmas at mine telling me my problems were related to broadband. I had to disconnect the cable from the router to prove to him it had sod all to do with it.

So if you arent planning on using the on demand stuff your broadband speed is irrelevant. If there is something i want to watch from on demand i just download it over night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 287 ✭✭coley

mdfire wrote: »
    Ive 2mb broadband and Sky Q. The technicians that come out tell you this that you need to good broadband for it to work. Absolute rubbish.

The broadband element is for on demand stuff. Nothing else.

Ive had problems with connectivity within the house between boxes. But thats due to the size of the house and nothing to do with broadband. There was a guy out at xmas at mine telling me my problems were related to broadband. I had to disconnect the cable from the router to prove to him it had sod all to do with it.

So if you arent planning on using the on demand stuff your broadband speed is irrelevant. If there is something i want to watch from on demand i just download it over night.
    Have you tried 4K stuff on less than zippy broadband?

-Coley.

coley wrote:
    Have you tried 4K stuff on less than zippy broadband?

I think it was explained that if your connection is slow that it can be downloaded overnight. Even 4k can be downloaded before watching. There is actually very little 4k content that can be viewed live.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭mdfire

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    I think it was explained that if your connection is slow that it can be downloaded overnight. Even 4k can be downloaded before watching. There is actually very little 4k content that can be viewed live.

This.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,100 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

How do the mini boxes connect to the main box?

Is Wifi the only option? Or is best bet to have the main & mini box connected via ethernet to the same router?

A friend of mine has his connected by Wifi (average 3 bedroom house, router in a decent spot) and constantly has to re-pair them.

Advertisement