Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sky Q

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,129 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

icdg wrote: »
    Official Sky announcement on Netflix. Given Virgin’s had this for ages it’s very welcome. Includes Now TV but not Sky+HD.

https://www.skygroup.sky/corporate/media-centre/articles/en-gb/sky-and-netflix-agree-new-european-partnership

That is interesting. How much extra would someone be willing to pay Sky Q for Netflix 4K & HDR? I would think 4 euro per month tops if you are only getting one screen. Anything more than that then why bother? you get 4 screens with Netflix for around 14 euro.

I also think having them side by side will highlight one of Sky Qs biggest drawbacks. Netflix has individual profiles. I can watch the same show/movie as my daughter at my own pace. It's always seemed nuts to me that I watch half a movie & pause it my daughter then watches it in her room to the end. Ive now lost the place where I paused the movie.

Anyway I don't want to knock it without seeing it. I suppose an advantage would be if on the rare occasion my internet dies I would still have Netflix through my Sky dish. I think I'm more interested in Sky Q getting HDR content. This is more important than UHD in my opinion. You don't need to be close to the TV to benefit from HDR

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭JDxtra

What an odd development, didn't see that coming.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,019 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    That is interesting. How much extra would someone be willing to pay Sky Q for Netflix 4K & HDR? I would think 4 euro per month tops if you are only getting one screen. Anything more than that then why bother? you get 4 screens with Netflix for around 14 euro.

I also think having them side by side will highlight one of Sky Qs biggest drawbacks. Netflix has individual profiles. I can watch the same show/movie as my daughter at my own pace. It's always seemed nuts to me that I watch half a movie & pause it my daughter then watches it in her room to the end. Ive now lost the place where I paused the movie.

Anyway I don't want to knock it without seeing it. I suppose an advantage would be if on the rare occasion my internet dies I would still have Netflix through my Sky dish. I think I'm more interested in Sky Q getting HDR content. This is more important than UHD in my opinion. You don't need to be close to the TV to benefit from HDR

I very much doubt that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,026 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

seems strange for Sky to facilitate a competitor like that. I guess their concern is that people are using Netflix anyway, and if they're buying a device to watch it on their TV (Roku or Android box or whatever) they might just decide to ditch the Sky box.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

In many ways Netflix are just another content provider for Sky. No different to Virgin carrying Sky’s channels (well, some of them) or Sky carrying Virgin’s. It’ll be good for smart TV owners as some day the Netflix app on their particular model might be unsupported. Like Virgin, Sky will facilitate those who want to maintain the standalone Netflix direct subscription as well as those who want to bundle. I can’t imagine prices will be any different or undercut in any way the direct Netflix sub (and incidentally Netflix makes you take the 4 screen subscription pack, at €13.99 pm, to get any UHD content).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭galtee boy

Thinking of taking the plunge and getting SkyQ , now that Vodafone took the unbelievable step of downgrading all the BBC channels from HD to SD since March 1st. Can I ask, it's nearly two years on since Q launched, those of you that have it, what do you think of it now ? Is it fairly bug free, is there still connectivity problems to the mini box, especially if you don't have Sky broadband, is it more user friendly, eg using Other Channels for ITV etc, will my good wife and daughter find it as easy to use as the old Sky+HD box we used to have ? Any response from all you guys who have been " field testing" it for the last two years would be appreciated.

I've never had an issue with the box or connection & my broadband is Virgin.
    I have an issue paying 15 euro extra for HD & then another 15 or 16 for UHD. This is on top of the cost of the channels. We have everything but sports and it's over 100 per month. 1200 euro per year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

I would have an issue paying for BBC HD channels when they are all FTA :eek:

I've never had an issue with the box or connection & my broadband is Virgin.
    I have an issue paying 15 euro extra for HD & then another 15 or 16 for UHD. This is on top of the cost of the channels. We have everything but sports and it's over 100 per month. 1200 euro per year.

That is very expensive, for new customers, the current offer I am tempted by, is the Variety pack plus HD which are half price for 6 months, which is 19.50 + 8.50 = 28, then obviously 56 per month after that, at least that's what I think read in the current offers section on their website.

Can you Chromecast Sky Go or if not, can an iPad be connected to a tv ? Idea being in either case, to give multiroom of sorts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,100 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

No to both.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 843 ✭✭✭yknaa

Our HD box is acting up and I am thinking of upgrading to Sky Q. I'm with Sky for over 8 years and just wondering what the best deal anyone has got with an upgrade to Q. I hope to get a minibox for multi-viewing as part of the package. Thanks

yknaa wrote: »
    Our HD box is acting up and I am thinking of upgrading to Sky Q. I'm with Sky for over 8 years and just wondering what the best deal anyone has got with an upgrade to Q. I hope to get a minibox for multi-viewing as part of the package. Thanks

Boxes are all free so get as many as you like. Installation is a different matter. Last I checked it was between 120 & 220 depending on how many rooms

Boxes are all free so get as many as you like. Installation is a different matter. Last I checked it was between 120 & 220 depending on how many rooms
    What a shambles.

Should have a self-install option like Virgin too. Those mini-boxes don't require any additional cabling either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

What a shambles.

Should have a self-install option like Virgin too. Those mini-boxes don't require any additional cabling either.

an adjustment has to be made to the existing dish although later in the year sky q will be available without the need for a dish

I get that for the Sky Q main installation - but the addition of mini-boxes requiring an installer is a farce for anyone with little-average tech know-how.

What a shambles.

The main box needs installing. There's a new type of LNB so I didn't mind paying for that. I think that was 120 but it went up to over 200 if you wanted two mini boxes. These require the installer to push a button on the main box & on a mini box to pair them. This is something you'll have to do yourself from time to time as they can become unpaired. If your boxes become unpaired they don't send out the engineer. They walk you through it over the phone. You should be allowed to install the mini boxes yourself

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 728 ✭✭✭robert muldoon

please correct if I’m wrong but when I got Sky Q aover a year ago, I got the main box and 2 mini boxes included but I had to pay for a third box and a box costs about 120e, if you are getting Sky q make sure you are happy with the touch remotes, I personally find them a pain but I understand that there is a new version than can convert to button only, I don’t have that option so had to pay to change to button remotes

The main box needs installing. There's a new type of LNB so I didn't mind paying for that. I think that was 120 but it went up to over 200 if you wanted two mini boxes. These require the installer to push a button on the main box & on a mini box to pair them. This is something you'll have to do yourself from time to time as they can become unpaired. If your boxes become unpaired they don't send out the engineer. They walk you through it over the phone. You should be allowed to install the mini boxes yourself

Exactly.

I'm hesitant to jump to Sky Q as well for what you mentioned about with having to re-pair every so often. I've heard this from a few people on here and those I know that have Sky Q.

I have wired ethernet all over the house, so you'd imagine they should never lose the pair, in theory? I expect those pairing issues only occur when relying on Wifi?

Exactly.

I'm hesitant to jump to Sky Q as well for what you mentioned about with having to re-pair every so often. I've heard this from a few people on here and those I know that have Sky Q.

I have wired ethernet all over the house, so you'd imagine they should never lose the pair, in theory? I expect those pairing issues only occur when relying on Wifi?

In fairness I've had very little pairing to do. I was just using it as an example of them not letting you pair them in the first place & charging a lot of money for something my six year old niece does in her own home with no difficulty.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,661 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Re pairing is extremely rare. I've 3 minis, 2 are used very regularly and the 3rd not so much. Maybe 2 each re-pairs across all boxes in about 15 months and it's just a WPS button press

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,528 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Exactly.

This is a non-issue and should not be a reason to not get Sky Q.

Even if it does happen it's just one button press.

Thanks gents!

I'll put previous feedback down to my buddies having their routers in poor areas and the boxes too far away.

With ethernet, there should be no WPS pairing whatsoever, I assume? Or is this still needed despite ethernet connectivity all back to the same router?

I see on Digital Spy that you can now do self install on Sky Q boxes, has this been announced for Ireland yet?

Any link?

Found it: https://forums.digitalspy.com/discussion/2280113/extra-sky-q-mini-box-advice-needed
    From today existing Sky Q Multiscreen customers in the U.K. can order Sky Q Mini boxes for self installation.

There is a one off viewing fee of £69 per box, this is discounted to £26 if it is your first Q Mini box. There is also a £6 P&P charge per order.

You must order by contacting a Sky agent if you want self install, it’s not available via the website.

Nice addition in fairness. Probably be here soon you'd imagine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,234 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

That's different than self install of Sky Q, it implies you already have Sky Q and it's just self install for additional mini boxes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

peteeeed wrote: »

This has been the gaping hole in the Sky Q setup. It should have been launched two years ago. Netflix has HDR for the last two years. It's more important that 4K itself as you can sit anywhere in the room to benefit from HDR where 4K you need to be fairly close to tell the difference between it & HD.

Fingers crossed it will be soon

• Advertisement

peteeeed wrote:
    sky 4k HDR incoming

I've been thinking about this today. I think we'll have to wait a bit longer for HDR. I hope I'm wrong but Sky had exclusive rights to broadcast the Royal Wedding Live in 4K last Saturday. I would think if they were that close to launching HDR then the Royal Wedding would have been the first programme broadcast in HDR. I'd be very surprised if they launch HDR in the next week or two after missing the wedding

Advertisement