Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sky Q

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 650 ✭✭✭Mister Gooey

Sleeper12 wrote:
    I've been thinking about this today. I think we'll have to wait a bit longer for HDR. I hope I'm wrong but Sky had exclusive rights to broadcast the Royal Wedding Live in 4K last Saturday. I would think if they were that close to launching HDR then the Royal Wedding would have been the first programme broadcast in HDR. I'd be very surprised if they launch HDR in the next week or two after missing the wedding

It will be launched just before the start of next season's English Football premiership, around mid-July. Anything to push sales!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

I see on Digital Spy that you can now do self install on Sky Q boxes, has this been announced for Ireland yet?

Not for Paddy! We still pay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭galtee boy

With the past week or so, most days, especially the sunny ones, I lose a lot of channels including TV3, CH4, More 4 and a host of other channels, saying no satellite signal, but yet all the other channels are fine. This happens from around midday until about 8pm, then they all return, it's as if the heat of the sun or something is causing a problem, I'm thinking lnb problem and a call for Sky engineer, anybody had similar problems ? It's a SkyQ box by the way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,129 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

galtee boy wrote:
    With the past week or so, most days, especially the sunny ones, I lose a lot of channels including TV3, CH4, More 4 and a host of other channels, saying no satellite signal, but yet all the other channels are fine. This happens from around midday until about 8pm, then they all return, it's as if the heat of the sun or something is causing a problem, I'm thinking lnb problem and a call for Sky engineer, anybody had similar problems ? It's a SkyQ box by the way.

The satellite is visible 24/7 regardless of the weather. The equipment is sensitive to rain but not sunshine afaik

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,019 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    The satellite is visible 24/7 regardless of the weather. The equipment is sensitive to rain but not sunshine afaik

Maybe LNB overheating in the sunshine?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,129 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Maybe LNB overheating in the sunshine?

I'm no expert but I have had satellite for close to 30 years and I have never heard of that. Doesn't mean that it can't happen. Just saying I've never heard of it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,019 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    I'm no expert but I have had satellite for close to 30 years and I have never heard of that. Doesn't mean that it can't happen. Just saying I've never heard of it

Nor I :) ...... but on the info provided ......

Nor I :) ...... but on the info provided ......

Thanks guys, will get Sky engineer out and see what he comes up with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,100 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

Can you let us know how it goes? Brother having the same issue.

Cheers!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

Perhaps something expanding / bending in the heat, knocking out the alignment?

• Advertisement

Can you let us know how it goes? Brother having the same issue.

Cheers!

Will do, should have Sky guy next week.

Sky engineer been and gone. No wiser really. He checked lnb, ok. He then checked the cables inside the house at the box. I have four cables coming from lnb, 2 for Q and 2 for Humax. One cable showed up as dead on his signal meter. So he switched working cable from Humax to Sky and no problems with disappearing channels. He put other two cables back into Humax and at the time, Humax signal bar in settings showed one tuner full strength and the other tuner no signal. However, I've been checking since and every morning and every evening, both tuners full strength, but in middle of day, when hot and sunny, one tuner disappears. I'm fairly certain, it doesn't happen on dull or wet days. I'll put up with it, couldn't be bothered trying to trace cables ( which are in conduit, buried in the wall ), from box to lnb, to see which one is having a problem with the sun !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

galtee boy wrote: »
    Sky engineer been and gone. No wiser really. He checked lnb, ok. He then checked the cables inside the house at the box. I have four cables coming from lnb, 2 for Q and 2 for Humax. One cable showed up as dead on his signal meter. So he switched working cable from Humax to Sky and no problems with disappearing channels. He put other two cables back into Humax and at the time, Humax signal bar in settings showed one tuner full strength and the other tuner no signal. However, I've been checking since and every morning and every evening, both tuners full strength, but in middle of day, when hot and sunny, one tuner disappears. I'm fairly certain, it doesn't happen on dull or wet days. I'll put up with it, couldn't be bothered trying to trace cables ( which are in conduit, buried in the wall ), from box to lnb, to see which one is having a problem with the sun !

If you could check the lnb itself when its in the failed state, start at the beginning before condemning cables.

jca wrote: »
    If you could check the lnb itself when its in the failed state, start at the beginning before condemning cables.

I agree, will do when I get a chance, I have my suspicions that it's an lnb problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,026 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

on the HD boxes, HD and Box Sets are part of the same subscription (I'd happily drop Box Sets but not HD) - is it the same with SkyQ?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Yeah, it’s the same.

Seemingly - in the U.K. at least - if you have Sky Q 2TB and multi screen, then you’ll get Netflix in Ultra HD, which normally is even more costly, so that’s where an even greater saving might accrue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭Wisesmurf

Just to absolutely confirm.

If I get the Skyq 2TB box and opt for sports I still have to pay extra to see them in HD? What about UHD?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

Is there any way to get Sky Q without having to pay €175 which seems excessive. I mentioned Sky Vip to the advisor on the phone but was advised I would have to go for the 2TB box & have platinum membership.I have 3 accounts with sky but no platinum unfortunately

Wisesmurf wrote: »
    Just to absolutely confirm.

If I get the Skyq 2TB box and opt for sports I still have to pay extra to see them in HD? What about UHD?

Yes you have to take the HD Pack (aka Box Sets & HD) to see Sky Sports in HD.

For UHD it’s a bit more complicated, you need to have the 2TB Box *and* take Sky Multiscreen. Be warned, for the most part the only sports in UHD is the Premier League, Formula One, and some cricket.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,661 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Is there any way to get Sky Q without having to pay €175 which seems excessive. I mentioned Sky Vip to the advisor on the phone but was advised I would have to go for the 2TB box & have platinum membership.I have 3 accounts with sky but no platinum unfortunately

Only cheaper if you're a new customer.

Do any of your other accounts have very long tenure?

Am I right in this, current cost of box sets + HD is €17 and Netflix HD with 2 screens is €10.99, total €27.99, whereas with new deal from Sky, the new cost of box sets/HD and Netflix will be €16, so a saving of €11.99 ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭Wisesmurf

icdg wrote: »
    Yes you have to take the HD Pack (aka Box Sets & HD) to see Sky Sports in HD.

For UHD it’s a bit more complicated, you need to have the 2TB Box *and* take Sky Multiscreen. Be warned, for the most part the only sports in UHD is the Premier League, Formula One, and some cricket.

Cheers, it's absolutely insane and gouging in this day you have to still pay a premium for HD. UHD should be the new premium and hd free.

I'll hold off for another while so.

galtee boy wrote: »
    Am I right in this, current cost of box sets + HD is €17 and Netflix HD with 2 screens is €10.99, total €27.99, whereas with new deal from Sky, the new cost of box sets/HD and Netflix will be €16, so a saving of €11.99 ?

It seems to good to be true. So there must be a catch somewhere. (possibly involving HD - just speculating, don’t quote me!)

If it is true, it’s a massive saving for those taking Netflix Ultra HD

icdg wrote: »
    It seems to good to be true. So there must be a catch somewhere. (possibly involving HD - just speculating, don’t quote me!)

If it is true, it’s a massive saving for those taking Netflix Ultra HD

I'm sceptical myself about it, if my theory is correct, it will be the first time I can remember Sky offering a new product/feature that saves people money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭johnire

In order to get this do you have to have Sky Q?
    Thanks

If you’re asking will it work on Sky+HD the answer is no it won’t.

There’ll be an app for Now TV, but not the same sort of single UI they’ll have with Sky Q.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,054 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

I have had Sky Q now for 6 weeks (1TB box without multiroom) and mainly got it for extra recording facilities. Just 2 minor negatives:
    (1) Lack of apps. What they have is limited.
    (2) Unable to change DTT channels on TV with Q remote control. I watch Saorview channels that are not on Sky here in N. Ireland e.g. RTE 1 HD/ RTE News Now. I could change these channels with previous Sky HD remote. I checked on Sky Community Forum to see if I was missing something and had it confirmed that Q remote does not change Freeview/Saorview channels.
    Otherwise I am happy with the product.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭sillysocks

Have had Virgin Media HD boxes for years. Am fed up with the constant price hikes and also thinking we might go for a change to Sky and get the Sky Q boxes. We’ll need it for two TVs so I think one main box and a mini. By sounds of things we can watch different things on both nights issue. Lately the Virgin boxes have been terrible, freezing, recording incorrectly, cutting off programmed etc so would
    Hope the Sky ones are better.

Just wondering if anyone has any advice or info on whether it’s worth switching over? Price might be slightly cheaper with Sky for the first few months but after that not a big difference. Won’t move Broadband as very happy with Virgins offering in our area and work from home so need to keep it reliable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,821 ✭✭✭zg3409

>Just wondering if anyone has any advice >or info on whether it’s worth switching >over?

Sky q is a premium product with a premium price.

The reliability is far higher than with virgin

Downsides, you need a dish on south east side of house, see neighbours for reference. The installations can be a bit cowboy due to contractors. Try to get internet cabled to main box and if possible an internet cable to mini box. This will prevent most issues of picture breakup and slow downloads. You can watch something else on the mini except eir sports without additional payment, and you can watch shows stored on main box. It is not cheap and channels are limited depending on package, but it is leaps ahead if virgin for TV. Internet is better from virgin, in general.

Advertisement