Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sky Q

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭stesaurus

So it's a case of a higher initial setup but lower monthly for people with a lot of multirooms. Probably 100-150 per extra mini box setup plus stuck with an 18 month contract and probably zero chance of discounts during that period. That would be a long payback period

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭Avada

s.welstead wrote: »
    Would the multiroom sub be gone by taking this out or is that still to be paid? I have 3 extra boxes so at currently €15 a pop (before discounts) this could be cheaper if it was one set fee.

From what I can see, it seems to be a max of 2 extra boxes as well.
    MR sub will be gone

And so will the fraud associated with Multiscreen. Quite a clever move.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,661 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Avada wrote: »
    From what I can see, it seems to be a max of 2 extra boxes as well.

And so will the fraud associated with Multiscreen. Quite a clever move.

You can buy more but you can only watch to extra boxes at the same time (aswell as 2 tablets)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,528 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

So there only seems to be value in it if you have Multiroom.

I got rid of that a couple of years ago so it would be a big increase.

• Subscribers Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭TCP/IP

I am ready and waiting to order. Three SkyQ Silver please. Really looking forward to this

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,661 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

TCP/IP wrote: »
    I am ready and waiting to order. Three SkyQ Silver please. Really looking forward to this

You wont be able to order 3 Sky Q Silvers

Unless you have 3 houses :P

If you want 4K on three different TV's you need to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,051 ✭✭✭jones

How do people think the pricing structure will work over here? €150/200 for the box?

I'm interested in this as I have Sky multiroom hd at the moment and paying 80 a month so it might not be THAT much more expensive for me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 612 ✭✭✭ForstalDave

dont they just relay the signal from they main box via a built in power-line adapter so id assume they can do 4k

• Advertisement

dont they just relay the signal from they main box via a built in power-line adapter so id assume they can do 4k

This

This

The only box that will do 4k is the SkyQ silver. Only one with HDMI 2.0 with HDCP 2.2 the others will not

What exactly are you looking forward to?

I really don't see the big advantages yet.

This

Nope no 4k on the mini boxes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

The only box that will do 4k is the SkyQ silver. Only one with HDMI 2.0 with HDCP 2.2 the others will not

i think the spec sheet for the initial sky q silver box is 1.4b with a future update to bring it up to speed for 4k

Nope no 4k on the mini boxes.

Sorry you are both correct, getting my facts mixed up :P

peteeeed wrote: »
    i think the spec sheet for the initial sky q silver box is 1.4b with a future update to bring it up to speed for 4k

That has since been updated by the Project Manager of SkyQ to confirm it will be 2.0.

Sky Ireland have confirmed a few things here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

People are going to be pleased with the comparative set up prices. Irish customers are getting a better deal.

People are going to be pleased with the comparative set up prices. Irish customers are getting a better deal.

It's not very clear to me and the word 'from' is there which is always a bad sign.

• Advertisement

murpho999 wrote: »
    It's not very clear to me and the word 'from' is there which is always a bad sign.

Not really its actually a very good indication in this case as £42 (the UK price) is nearly exactly €55. Could be very good news for Irish customers.

ETA: If they go down this route, it may only cost a customer with Variety, Sports, Movies, HD + MS an extra 50c per month (€116 versus current €115.50).

Not really its actually a very good indication in this case as £42 (the UK price) is nearly exactly €55. Could be very good news for Irish customers.

ETA: If they go down this route, it may only cost a customer with Variety, Sports, Movies, HD + MS an extra 50c per month (€116 versus current €115.50).

You are though ignoring the set up costs of "from €99".

I got rid of all the excess baggage from Sky 2 years ago, No more multiroom, sports or movies. As my bills were €110 per month./
    Just have the basic with HD (On offer for a year for €10 per month) and pay €39.50 per month. From what I can see with this I would pay at least €55 per month now and that is quite a jump plus the set up costs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

So is there only a feed from the satellite dish to the main box? All the multirooms are done by wifi/ethernet?

snaps wrote: »
    So is there only a feed from the satellite dish to the main box? All the multirooms are done by wifi/ethernet?

Yes and wifi and powerline in the future

murpho999 wrote: »
    You are though ignoring the set up costs of "from €99".

I got rid of all the excess baggage from Sky 2 years ago, No more multiroom, sports or movies. As my bills were €110 per month./
    Just have the basic with HD (On offer for a year for €10 per month) and pay €39.50 per month. From what I can see with this I would pay at least €55 per month now and that is quite a jump plus the set up costs.

The UK setup costs are from £99 as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭cannco253

Can you use existing home plugs with the new boxes? I have my sky hd box connected to a tp link home plug and it works very well at the moment. From reading the details I can't figure out if the boxes will only work with sky's new home plug solution.

It's not been made clear how much of the NDA has been lifted. Seems pricing in Ireland will be lower in Ireland (set up) and is a binary along the lines of the article posted.

Product features are looking like they're discusable (making up words). I'm going to remain tight lipped for now other than to say if you want a very polished product with WiFi and tv wherever you want it, this is looking to be a great premium product. It's not any cheaper and not a replacement for Sky+ but goes a long way to addressing complaints about certain aspects such as better pricing for new v existing, service calls and a like.

If you're a power user with Ethernet everywhere and various other things like chromecast/Apple tv, sling boxes and whatnot, it might not be for you. If you want a full home entertainment and WiFi solution with one set of cables from the dish it's epic!

Sky have and, it's my understanding, will deploy power plugs and boosters as required included in the install.

Their usp on broadband will be excellent WiFi coverage within the home at near bandwidth received on the eir line, rather than Virgin who can (potentially) get you 360 meg but for WiFi you need to sit on the router.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

It's just going to nice to move away from 1080i , watching 1080p through blurays and Netflix , there is quite a difference never mind when 4K hits

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,100 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

Happy with my Sky+HD + multiroom offering for now. Won't go near this for a few years. Early adopter disasters and all that :D

Advertisement