Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

APR vs borrowing rates with no charges

• 18-11-2015 10:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭

Does anyone know if a borrowing rate has no associated charges whatsoever should the APR be the same as the borrowing rate ie if the borrowing rate is 10% with no charges the APR should be 10% also.

I'm talking about the Credit Union model where interest is charged on the reducing balance rather than the banking model where interest is charged up front on the full borrowed amount.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,746 ✭✭✭✭28064212

the banking model where interest is charged up front on the full borrowed amount.
    What bank does that? Typically, personal loans have their interest calculated daily, same as the Credit Union

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Moved to Banking & Insurance & Pensions

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭lunacyfoundme

28064212 wrote: »
    What bank does that? Typically, personal loans have their interest calculated daily, same as the Credit Union

Do they? I always thought the interest was calculated up front and added as a lump to the amount borrowed?

Do they? I always thought the interest was calculated up front and added as a lump to the amount borrowed?
    Nope. Of course, it's possible that some loan types might not allow unscheduled payments, which gives exactly the same effect, but AFAIK, all the banks' "standard" loans have interest calculated daily

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

Well then I guess that goes back to my original question as to if a loan had no extra fees would the rates not be the same.

I have noticed a few Credit Unions advertising a different borrowing and APR rates but those CUs dont add charges or fees to the loans.

• Advertisement

Well then I guess that goes back to my original question as to if a loan had no extra fees would the rates not be the same.

I have noticed a few Credit Unions advertising a different borrowing and APR rates but those CUs dont add charges or fees to the loans.
    Because of compound interest. The APR is a calculation of the rate that you would pay for a year. The standard interest rate is not a yearly figure, it could be compunded daily, monthly, quarterly, yearly.

But compound interest shouldn't come in to it if the interest is caluclated on the reducing balance with each repayment rather than the full balance for the full year.

That is in a CU the first payment has interest calculated on the full amount. The second payment has interest based on the reduced loan principal etc.

If the APR is based on the full loan principal for a year is that not an inaccurate indicator of cost for a CU loan ie interest charged on a payment by payment reducing loan principal?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,476 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

If the APR is based on the full loan principal for a year is that not an inaccurate indicator of cost for a CU loan ie interest charged on a payment by payment reducing loan principal?

The APR has nothing to do with the repayment schedule, it's the interest as you say that would be applied on a principal if no repayments were made during the 12 months.

Of course if you start paying immediately then the total interest you end up paying will be less since some of the money will only have been borrowed for one month but the APR will be the same.

Assuming you're making monthly payments then you only need to work out the interest that will be applied at the end of each month, even if the bank calculates the interest daily, this is how you do it.....

Say the APR is 6%, take 1.06 and get the twelfth (1/12) root which is 1.004868. That means the the monthly interest will be 0.4868%. If you're working out the payment schedule, apply that rate to the balance at the end of each month, then deduct the monthly repayment and carry the balance to the start of the next month.

In an Excel spreadsheet, you'd get the twelfth root as above with the formula =(1.06^(1/12))

Advertisement