Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ride on mower - false economy?

Options
  • 18-11-2015 12:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭

Our self-drive mower died last month after 13 years - luckily near the end of the mowing season. I was considering a ride-on as we have a half-acre garden, and have acquired 3 kids during that 13 years, so it would save a lot of time.

I've had some advice from someone with one of the bigger-engined tractor mowers available to avoid at all costs the kind of entry-level models they try to sell you. Because even if you don't have acres of lawn, they're false economy as they're under powered they just don't collect grass effectively if it's anyway damp. Always go for the most powerful you can afford as he knows a number of people who opted for economy and their mowers just drove them to frustration and they eventually had to upgrade them anyway. "Don't buy one for €2,500 when for 40% more you'll get one that actually does the job you want without hassle".

However €3,500 does seem an awful lot to spend for that something that does the job properly. I recently paid €30 for a local landscaper to come give our lawn the last mow of the year it needed. At that price I could get him to come fortnightly for the whole 7-month season for 8 years! And that's not including annual servicing costs of over €100...

What's the better option?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭johnb25

Don't have a direct answer to your question, but if you look around the dealers now, rather than in the spring, you may get a better deal as they want to clear stock.

I always thought ride ons were false economy. Parts are expensive. They are a money pit if you ask me. Another thing is your spending money on petrol dragging your self around the garden.

I can cut half an acre in just over an hour with a my push mower (€965) Its a mulching mower so no collecting. It cuts damp grass and long grass(2wks) Servicing costs are low as it is easy do yourself and I have yet to confirm this but I can cut the half acre at least three times on the tank of petrol. No more than a litre goes in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Gwynston

I've had a good mulching self-drive push mower for the past 13 years (now dead) and always mulched it.

Took me 1.5 hours to do my lawn though. And it wouldn't do a very good job if it was wet or more than a week's growth - would leave piles of unmulched grass behind.

It must have had a small tank though because I couldn't even finish the lawn without refilling. Would go through around four 5l petrol cans a season.

What engine was on it. Make and model

Briggs and Stratton Intek 6.75 hp ohv

• Advertisement

Gwynston wrote: »
    Briggs and Stratton Intek 6.75 hp ohv

As good as the engine I have.

I reckon ride on mowers are for when you have an acre or more. But maybe you need one if you don't have the time though I don't see you saving much between cleaning a ride on, getting around obstacles and strumming bits you can't reach

I have little time as well so if I have 30 mins I'll cut some of it then maybe more a few days later and try and keep on top of it. If there is grass left from mulching I'd cut it again in a few days.

Spend the money on a top of the range push mower and weather will never be a problem

weather will never be a problem
    :D HaHaHa :D

In Ireland, that's priceless! :)

Sometimes my lawn is so wet even a push mower sinks in, as do my feet :p

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭johnb25

Sometimes my lawn is so wet even a push mower sinks in, as do my feet :p

In that case, do you really want a ride-on?

johnb25 wrote: »
    In that case, do you really want a ride-on?

Exactly. You will plow the place up and you will have to wait for a few days of drying to get in with a ride on if its that bad

I presumed have decent drainage sorry

• Registered Users Posts: 23,356 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

We have a twin cut ride on that would be at the bottom end of the ride on pricing.
    Bought it about 8 years ago for about 2500. Its the manual forward and reverse type so a bit of a pain in the arse that way.
    I am happy with as we couldnt justify a bigger cost. It would certainly be perfectly fine for cutting half acre of lawn regularly. True, it doesnt like long wet grass but if you look after your business, there is no reason to be cutting long or wet grass.
    In 8 years, we have replaced a belt and an idler pulley as well as a few oil changes.
    So really, if you can afford the bigger ones with hydrostatic drive etc, buy them but the cheaper ones can certainly do the job for a private house.

• Advertisement

Yes, good point about the drainage. That was one of the things that put us off a ride-on 13 years ago when the house was built - neighbours in older houses warned us about the poor drainage in the area.

However in the time since, a few of them have got ride-ons themselves!!!

There are only a couple of spots that I'd probably have to avoid on the odd very bad occasion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,497 ✭✭✭rangler1

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Sorry for hi-jacking the thread.

I'm considering a ride on mower for my dad. He's got a lawn of about 1/4 acre, but its getting more and more difficult for him to manage. The place is generally flat & he does enjoy the garden, so i don't really want to pay someone to come in and do it for him...

I don't have much budget, so base spec is imperative... has anyone got experience of Alpina?
    http://www.irishmowers.com/alpina-ride-on-mowers.html

If its a false economy I'll not do it, but if it can be of benefit, I'll try to manage it.

Advertisement