Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Fixing Brake Calipers

Options
  • 18-11-2015 12:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26

My Girlfriend got her 2005 Corolla serviced yesterday and the garage told her after that the four brake calipers need to be replaced and the front ones are also leaking.

Thing is, the car passed the NCT 3 weeks prior with flying colours and the braking efficiency seems to be very good as I tested it last night.

The cost is over €1100, a quarter of what the car is worth and they recon it needs to be fixed in 2 weeks, I am having doubts that maybe she is being conned.

Would it be a case that the brakes would become less efficient over time before they really need to be replaced? In other words could the situation be managed including just keeping an eye on how well the car brakes and the level of brake fluid? Or is it best to just fork out the bill?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Get another mechanic to give it a look and see what they say about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Moneyjojo.com

Probably a good option but you tell them to look the brakes, they might come back with something similar

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Dont tell the mechanic what the other garage said. Just ask the new mechanic if the brakes are ok as you are worried with it going into the winter and want to make sure everything is safe on the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,222 ✭✭✭✭biko

Perhaps they just meant brake pads?

Either way - take car to another mechanic and ask them to check pads, discs etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,067 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

OP - usual reason for brake calipers needing replacement is if they are seized, which very often results in brakes sticking.
    Braking force might still be perfectly fine, but you car is just braking even when you are actually not pressing the pedal, causing extra fuel consumption and brake discs and pads wear.
    I'm not saying that's the case in your car, but it could be the case.

Just lift the car, and try to turn the wheels. If they move freely, then it means it's not that.

If there is a leak in the brake system, this needs to be sorted out as soon as possible.

Don't be suggested by the fact that brakes are working fine, as I pointed out, they might be sticking and fluid leaking, and they will still work perfectly, until the braking fluid is gone at which stage they will just stop working.

Have someone else look at it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Those prices are not right, you can buy recon calipers for around 50stg ea and a set of pads won't cost more than 30 for each end.

http://brakeparts.co.uk/#!/shop/TOYOTA/COROLLA/02-07/COROLLA%20ZE120%201.4%2016V%20VVTI/Front%20-%20Brake%20Calipers%20and%20Wheel%20cylinders

http://brakeparts.co.uk/#!/shop/TOYOTA/COROLLA/02-07/COROLLA%20ZE120%201.4%2016V%20VVTI/Rear%20-%20Brake%20Calipers%20and%20Wheel%20cylinders

Get another opinion and if you do need to buy them don't be ripped off by an unscrupulous garage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭savagethegoat

€1100 for brake calipers plus labour is ridiculous. On many cars it's a DIY job.

Advertisement