Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My quitting plan, opinions please.

Options
  • 18-11-2015 1:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭

So I'm sick of having unhealthy lungs and it's reached a point where I want rid of the cigs.

Going cold turkey isn't going to work out well since I'm prone to stress as it is.

I was a pack-a-day smoker at one point. Have that down to 5 - 7 per day now. Originally I just wanted to cut down but now I'm aiming to eliminate them altogether.

I got an app to help me continue reducing the amount I smoke until that amount reaches zero. I've set the starting point at 3 per day, so I'm cutting off 4 smokes and then going to gradually reduce to nothing.

I'm also going to keep a "quit smoking diary" where I keep track of any times I resisted a craving and did something else instead, as well as how much I'm saving money-wise by working towards quitting.

Does anyone have any additions / modifications / advice on how I could adjust this plan, based on their own experiences? Anyone out there had success with a gradual reduction in smoking with an aim to quit?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭outland1985

JustShon wrote: »
    So I'm sick of having unhealthy lungs and it's reached a point where I want rid of the cigs.

Going cold turkey isn't going to work out well since I'm prone to stress as it is.

I was a pack-a-day smoker at one point. Have that down to 5 - 7 per day now. Originally I just wanted to cut down but now I'm aiming to eliminate them altogether.

I got an app to help me continue reducing the amount I smoke until that amount reaches zero. I've set the starting point at 3 per day, so I'm cutting off 4 smokes and then going to gradually reduce to nothing.

I'm also going to keep a "quit smoking diary" where I keep track of any times I resisted a craving and did something else instead, as well as how much I'm saving money-wise by working towards quitting.

Does anyone have any additions / modifications / advice on how I could adjust this plan, based on their own experiences? Anyone out there had success with a gradual reduction in smoking with an aim to quit?

This may well work for you, for me I switched to ecig and I found it an easy transition, I was smoking 20 a day.

I had tried reduction method before but they always creeped back up.

Most important thing is to really want to give them up , I think when your finally fed up with smoking you are likely to succeed.

Since moving to ecig my lungs feel clear generally energy Is up and anxiety down. I'll never touch a cug again.

Financially I can smoke ecig for 10 euro or less a week as opposed to 80/90 euro I was spending on smokes.

Whatever method you choose best if luck, it will be the best decision you ever make and after a short time you wont miss them at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭JustShon

Most important thing is to really want to give them up , I think when your finally fed up with smoking you are likely to succeed.

Signs are good in that case because I'm well and truly sick of the smokes at this stage. I'm fed up with having unhealthy lungs and I'm fed up paying for that "privilege"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

Not based on experience but some helpful thoughts.

Studies show that you go through the same stages of change whether you get assistance or not however people who try and quit with help succeed more often.
    Your GP , dentist , smoking help lines etc are all trained in smoking cessation. Might be worth thinking about.

Pro and cons lists can be a good reminder.
    Use the 5 Ds - delay , distract , don't dwell , drink water and deep breaths.
    Suck water through a straw etc.. Smoking addiction has a sensory stimulation component too.
    Avoid triggers- meet friends in places where you can't smoke etc

Know the changes your body will go through and believe that you are confident you can manage them. Know about the weight gain , smokers cough etc..

A good tip I heard before was that if you really feel like having a cigarette then just delay it for 5 minutes. Then if you still feel liking having one do. So much can happen in 5 minutes.

A health care provider would help you set gradual goals,concrete plans , motivation , reinforcement, encouragement and support. Your plan sounds like you are doing it solo.

Thanks Eoghan, appreciate the advice!

Signs are good in that case because I'm well and truly sick of the smokes at this stage. I'm fed up with having unhealthy lungs and I'm fed up paying for that "privilege"

Well how's it going have you managed to stay off them!

• Advertisement

Well how's it going have you managed to stay off them!

I got an e-cig on Friday and haven't had a regular cig since then :)

I'm not even craving it all that much surprisingly.

I got an e-cig on Friday and haven't had a regular cig since then :)

I'm not even craving it all that much surprisingly.

Brilliant well done keep it up!😊

Josephbd wrote: »
    stop buying it.

That's exactly what I have done. I had a stash of them, after I made this post first I finished one pack of cigs and then sold the rest to a friend so they wouldn't be there to tempt me.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭bside29

Quit smoking, start vaping!

bside29 wrote: »
    Quit smoking, start vaping!

If you look above you'll see that I said I've done just that :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement