Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Change of one of the tenants

Options
  • 18-11-2015 1:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭

I rented an apartment to two men and the last 12 month agreement was signed last june. A few days ago I received a message that one tennant has gone and been replaced by the wife of the other tennant. They never asked permission, and the banking/work references taken up on the original agreement were those of the tennant who has now gone.
    Please someone clarify what needs to be done concerning
    a new rental agreement
    prtb registration of new tennant
    will i be able to increase the rent

Regards.....beaufoy

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭Arbiter of Good Taste

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭Arbiter of Good Taste

There's what you can do and there's what you should do.

Get the wife's references and if they are acceptable, just issue an amendment to the lease - a letter noting the change of tenant should suffice and that all other Ts and Cs remain unchanged.

You just need to notify PRTB of a change of tenant on the lease - no need to re-register and no need to pay again.

As for looking to raise the rent - don't you think that's just a little mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Has the rent been paid on time? Has the house been kept in good condition (you have been doing regular inspections, right)? Do you have any reason to believe that the remaining tenant will be troublesome?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭dori_dormer

You wouldn't have been able to change the rent until next June anyway, since they signed a 12 month lease. Why do you suddenly want to do it now?

Just amke an amendment to the lease, have her sign under where the previous guy signed and date it also. Sign a page stating that she is willing to take over his part of the lease

Advertisement