Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Aldi Planning in Dunshaughlin

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,257 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

I was under the impression that the land to be used by Lidl has already been zoned from the previous application that was to be a Tesco express

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

How does the process work? I assume just because someone objects it doesn't mean it is rejected. Someone takes these objections and decides whether they are valid objections or not. That's where the issue is, IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭GeneHunt

Borderfox wrote: »
    I was under the impression that the land to be used by Lidl has already been zoned from the previous application that was to be a Tesco express

There was planning permission for a Tesco Express there in 2011. here's the Link Paul Healy (SuperValu) was a submitter twice on that application, I'm guessing it wasn't a submission of support!!!:rolleyes:

The planning was granted with "conditional" changes to that application. Not too sure what these were, but with the recession, nothing happened and the application expired. My understanding of an expired planning application is that it means nothing to the next application on that same land.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,885 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Lidl tried to build a supermarket in the mid 2000's near the Dunshaughlin Industrial estate, that was also rejected with objections from SuperValu so this is Lidl's second attempt at Dunshaughlin, just a different location. SuperValu have successfully blocked 3 supermarkets from entering Dunshaughlin.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,549 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I am not from Meath but a local supermarket did everything to keep the other retailers out of our town. They got planning in the end tough.
    Somebody here should start a petition and get signatures door to door because not everybody can sign an online one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Galego

Gonzo wrote: »
    Lidl tried to build a supermarket in the mid 2000's near the Dunshaughlin Industrial estate, that was also rejected with objections from SuperValu so this is Lidl's second attempt at Dunshaughlin, just a different location. SuperValu have successfully blocked 3 supermarkets from entering Dunshaughlin.

My understanding is that Lidl withdrew their application before decision was to be made by Meath Council. The reason to withdraw was to do with the beginning of the recession (end of 2017).

I thought the wall running from Gogans to Utopia was to be preserved under the Tesco planning but now its to be removed for more retail units?

The residents in Greenane are putting in objections to the pedestrian exit over their side

I thought the wall running from Gogans to Utopia was to be preserved under the Tesco planning but now its to be removed for more retail units?

The residents in Greenane are putting in objections to the pedestrian exit over their side

Borderfox wrote: »

Thanks Borderfox for your comment, there is a tread for the Lidl application too :cool:

<HERE>

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭Bussywussy

Any truth Aldi has bought maddens???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭RiseToMe

Bussywussy wrote: »
    Any truth Aldi has bought maddens???

The store? If so, no.

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭maik3n

Probably just thinking of LAND they purchased from Maddens for there proposed store.

Mind you, with the new Hanson Wood development now in place, I think that's eaten into a lot of the area Aldi had planned on using so they may need to choose another location now?
    That is of course, provided there is any truth in the rumour about them coming back/trying again in Dunshaughlin. ;)

W00t w00t, we are back in business folks.
    New sign, up at Maddens with Aldi seeking planning permission once again.
    http://www.eplanning.ie/MeathCC/AppFileRefDetails/RA180255/0

Maddens Hardware are also getting some work done, perhaps in preparation for the Aldi store?
    http://www.eplanning.ie/MeathCC/AppFileRefDetails/RA180257/0

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

That'd be brilliant!

Reading the description and not having any scanned files :(, it sounds like a similar application to the previous one, the Madden's application (linked above) is really to accommodate pedestrian access to the Aldi store from the main street through Madden's existing car-park next to the Bank of Ireland branch, this was also part of the original application. The new application is a little different, they are looking at a bigger store on a bigger site, so maybe the boundary fence of Madden's car-park and more of Madden's backyard is now incorporated into Aldi application or maybe the an area at the back of Hanson Wood is incorporated. Without the scanned files we are only guessing at this stage.

New planning application details ref: RA180255
    Proposed development will consist of the demolition of the existing building on site and the construction of a single storey discount foodstore (to include off licence use) with a gross floor area of 1,638 sq.m. (net retail area 1,152 sq. m.). The development includes the erection of 2 no. free standing double sided internally illuminated signs, 1 no. internally illuminated gable sign, 1 no. poster sign and entrance glass signage. The proposed development will be served by 90 no. car parking spaces. The proposed development includes vehicular access from Lagore Road and pedestrian access from Main Street. The proposed development includes all engineering works, landscaping works, boundary treatments and site development works on the 0.66 hectare site

Original application details ref: RA151231
    Proposed development will consist of the demolition of the existing building on site and the construction of a single storey discount foodstore (to include off licence use) with a gross floor area of 1,590 sq.m. (net retail area 1,140 sq.m.). The development includes the erection of 2 no. free standing double sided internally illuminated signs, 1 no. internally illuminated gable sign, 1 no. poster sign and entrance glass signage. The proposed development will be served by 83 no. car parking spaces. Access to the site will be provided from Lagore Road. The proposed development includes all engineering works, landscaping works, boundary treatments and site development works on the 0.61 hectare site.
    Significant further information/revised plans submitted on this application.
    Please Note: the original application was revised. Some of the changes were to the car-park layout (from 83 spaces to 94 spaces) and access to the Lagore Road was also revised.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Exile59

GeneHunt wrote: »
    Reading the description and not having any scanned files :(, it sounds like a similar application to the previous one, the Madden's application (linked above) is really to accommodate pedestrian access to the Aldi store from the main street through Madden's existing car-park next to the Bank of Ireland branch, this was also part of the original application. The new application is a little different, they are looking at a bigger store on a bigger site, so maybe the boundary fence of Madden's car-park and more of Madden's backyard is now incorporated into Aldi application or maybe the an area at the back of Hanson Wood is incorporated. Without the scanned files we are only guessing at this stage.

New planning application details ref: RA180255

Original application details ref: RA151231

Please Note: the original application was revised. Some of the changes were to the car-park layout (from 83 spaces to 94 spaces) and access to the Lagore Road was also revised.

I'm not so sure it is brilliant news really.

Lidl is badly needed, there's no doubt about that and there's no harm in Aldi coming to the village, but I don't like the location to be honest. Traffic in and out of the village will significantly increase from shoppers coming in from surrounding areas and I think it would be a bit much.

There's over 700 houses being developed in the Willows on the outskirts of town and a lot of that traffic will be coming and going to the opposite end of the village. Traffic jams....

Aldi on the outskirts of town would be more appropriate.

The maps/drawings are now available online.

It seems like they are taking over Maddens car park along with the land going all the way back to the shipping containers at the far end of the yard.

vwVs.th.jpg

We already have a few objections to the development, so colour me cynical but I'm not holding out much hope.

I guess the only avenue we might have is if the council feel that the huge of amount of houses being built NEED lots of supermarket options. :confused:

maik3n wrote: »
    We already have a few objections to the development, so colour me cynical but I'm not holding out much hope.

I guess the only avenue we might have is if the council feel that the huge of amount of houses being built NEED lots of supermarket options. :confused:

I'm very hopeful that Aldi do get full planning permission this time around, because they did get planning permission "with Conditions" the last time.

It's an interesting planning application this time thou, with Madden's Car park as part of the deal. I am not sure how it would work out, if Aldi got full planning permission and Madden's application was refused. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Galego

What's the story between supervalu and Aldi? Second time they object the planning but they didn't seem to object Ldli at all.

I would expect Co. Meath to approve the planning under conditions. I mean it would be ironic if they did the first time and now they didn't.

• Advertisement

Decision on Aldi/Maddens is due on the 10th of May so just around the corner. :o

Both Aldi & Madden's planning application status are now "On Hold" requesting Further Information.

Number of parking spaces seems to be an issue. :confused:

Some ground works have now begun at aldi site/behind bank of ireland.
    Perhaps it's a good sign of things to come? :P

maik3n wrote: »
    Some ground works have now begun at aldi site/behind bank of ireland.
    Perhaps it's a good sign of things to come? :P

Meath County Council requested further information from Aldi Ireland on 09th May 2018, 12 items in total (If I get a chance to post the full 12 I will, but I'm not sure if anyone would be interested, I don't think a link to the document will work).

I could be wrong but I think this ground work is probably to do with an archaeological assessment.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,793 ✭✭✭rizzee

This is the 2nd time they have applied now isn't it? I presume they would have addressed the issues in which it got refused the first time....

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Exile59

Was speaking with someone who'd be fairly well informed re the issue and apparently there's far less local support for Aldi compared to Lidl application. It was the local support that really drove Lidl over the line apparently. The trees in the site are a major issue as well. Aldi want rid of them and that's a no go from the planners.

I think people are generally happy with one new large supermarket in the town.

rizzee wrote: »
    This is the 2nd time they have applied now isn't it? I presume they would have addressed the issues in which it got refused the first time....

You're right this is the second application, but this application is very different to the first application and I think Aldi Ireland didn't do any archaeological assessments for the first application, they also have a bat survey to do, and they where advised to do this survey between May and September. So it will be well after September before we will see if they can build a new store on this site.

False alarm unfortunately. :(

Seems as though the works behind the bank were just the LIDL builders setting up a temporary home while they finished the new store.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,885 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I am really liking the new Lidl in Dunshaughlin. It is bigger than any other Lidl I've been too, they seem to stock a wider range of products compared to most other Lidl's as well.

I really like the open space around the development. The biggest change i've noticed since yesterday morning is life is back in Dunshaughlin. The footpath between the Village Grill and the Arch Bar now has constant activity with people walking too and from Lidl and hanging around the general area. A huge improvement. Once Costa opens there will be even more people around.

Advertisement