Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Aldi Planning in Dunshaughlin

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

I haven't been yet (I live in Dublin now but out there every few weeks or so) but it looks and sounds amazing. Very impressed to hear that it's the biggest Lidl in Ireland. It's a sign of getting old that I'm looking forward to taking a trip home to see the new supermarket :pac:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,792 ✭✭✭rizzee

Any update on Aldi permission?

• Registered Users Posts: 839 ✭✭✭GeneHunt

rizzee wrote: »
    Any update on Aldi permission?

Has anyone on here seen any work (surveys etc) going on in that site?

As part of the request for further information on the planning application back in May 2018, they need to do a number of items (12 in total), for instance they need to do a bat survey and Meath County Council suggest it should be done between May and September. So if Aldi are serious about this application they need to have done some work on the site over the last few months. I hope I'm wrong, but I fear this application is dead in the water.

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭maik3n

An excavator was out in the field there earlier today.

Perhaps there is some movement on the application?
    Either that or maybe Hanson Wood needed to get in there to do some work for their builds. :)

All is not lost hopefully.

The builder has applied for and been granted an extension, to the timeframe available to provide the further information requested by MeathCoCo.
    http://www.eplanning.ie/MeathCC/AppFileRefDetails/RA180255/0

It was back in early October and the extension runs up to mid February 2019. ;)

• Advertisement

ALDI have come back with their ''further information'' so the new date for a decsion is March 13th.

Maddens have also resurrected their application too.

It would be great if Aldi got permission to build there store in the village, as I much rather Aldi over Lidl.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

GeneHunt wrote: »
    It would be great if Aldi got permission to build there store in the village, as I much rather Aldi over Lidl.

https://www.meathchronicle.ie/news/roundup/articles/2019/02/21/4169784-new-aldi-store-gets-the-green-light-for-laytown/

Permission was granted for another Meath Aldi store in Laytown earlier this week so that may be a good omen. Can't believe a single resident took a case to the High Court objecting to the Laytown branch even after An Bord Pleanala and Meath Co. Co. granted permission. Does he have to pay all legal costs now that he lost (and wasted so much time for all concerned)?

maik3n wrote: »
    ALDI have come back with their ''further information'' so the new date for a decsion is March 13th.

Maddens have also resurrected their application too.

It's "Judgement Day" today for this application, hope it's the right one.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭ciaran76

It's "Judgement Day" today for this application, hope it's the right one.

I see planning permission has been approved.
    That's great with more choices.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭A320

ciaran76 wrote: »
    I see planning permission has been approved.
    That's great with more choices.

What are the conditions attached???

A320 wrote: »
    What are the conditions attached???

No "conditions" mentioned yet on the Aldi application!

A few "conditions" mentioned on the Madden's application, but no real show stoppers.

If the construction of this Aldi Store is at the same pace as the Lidl store on the otherside of the road, we could be looking at store opening at early December 2019.

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭A320

No "conditions" mentioned yet on the Aldi application!

A few "conditions" mentioned on the Madden's application, but no real show stoppers.

Ah ok,I just looked at link and it said conditional presumed it was something small anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Exile59

To be honest, I don't think it's a great decision.

Traffic already is becoming extremely busy in the 'village'. This is going to only increase it. Also, are those trees going to be cut down? They're one of the nicer parts of the village centre and it's a pity to see them removed for a supermarket.

I'm happy to see Aldi come to Dunshaughlin, but would have preferred if it was on the outskirts of the village.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,257 Mod ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Well it's the end of all the illegal parking on that road that has been ignored by the Gardai. I think the opening of Lidl and the improvement works to the pavements has improved the top end of the village no end.

I welcome choice

A320 wrote: »
    Ah ok,I just looked at link and it said conditional presumed it was something small anyway

When I checked this morning at 9am, there was no information populated within some of the fields on the MCC website, I have rechecked the site now and they have since populated some more information there, so you are quiet right there is conditions on Aldi application too, however there's no related documents posted on the "View Scanned File" section yet. Hopefully the "conditions" aren't too restrictive.

Just for anyone who may not be following the General Dunshaughlin news thread.
    Here's an article on the Meath Chronicle about Aldi getting planning, that was posted earlier today.

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭CUCINA

It was a long time coming but it has to be regarded as good news for Dunshaughlin. Yes, it means more traffic congestion but you can't have it every way.
    I agree with the poster above who says it is better to have the two German retailers near each other.
    The town (not really a village anymore) is really taking off now. Here's hoping that all the plans are completed before the next downturn which will surely come sooner or later. But for now, onwards and upwards!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,363 ✭✭✭washiskin

Great news!

• Advertisement

Change of plans all.
    The decision by Meath CoCo has been appealed.

An Bord Pleanala will now make a final decision in August.

Noooooo. :eek:

Another delay until August, christ this is getting like BREXIT, will it ever happen!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,839 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Noooooo. :eek:

Another delay until August, christ this is getting like BREXIT, will it ever happen!

Dunshaughlin has to be up there with one of the most difficult towns in Ireland to get planning, always so many objections, probably from the same sources all the time.

Gonzo wrote: »
    Dunshaughlin has to be up there with one of the most difficult towns in Ireland to get planning, always so many objections, probably from the same sources all the time.

I know I am only living there a few months but from pub talk and social media it always seems to be SuperValu owners that object?
    I may be wrong but that what repeatedly come up in conversation.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Exile59

ciaran76 wrote: »
    I know I am only living there a few months but from pub talk and social media it always seems to be SuperValu owners that object?
    I may be wrong but that what repeatedly come up in conversation.

That seems to be the case alright, but I'm sure there's also plenty of people who have lived in Dunshaughlin for years and aren't too keen about those trees being cut down and another supermarket built in the town centre.

Each to their own I suppose...

Exile59 wrote: »
    That seems to be the case alright, but I'm sure there's also plenty of people who have lived in Dunshaughlin for years and aren't too keen about those trees being cut down and another supermarket built in the town centre.

Each to their own I suppose...

I dont mind the appeals as long as they are for good reasons.
    I think I mentioned before I like those trees there and add something to the village and would be a shame to lose them.

Appeal details have now been released online.

Seems as though there were 2 submissions.
    Our usual supsect........ along with a concerned average Joe or technically Average Joan, lol. :cool:

I see bats were mentioned in 1 of the appeals.

Not being funny as genuinley dont know how the appeal process works but how did they get the houses in The Willows and Cnoc Tiarnach etc when trees and hedges were pulled down and from what I can see from jogging around in the morning there are bats around these places too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Aldi has now gotten ABP permission so can finally go ahead.

http://www.pleanala.ie/casenum/304121.htm

• Advertisement

That's great news, thanks for the update.

Advertisement