Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nest Thermostat cost query

Options
  • 18-11-2015 1:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭

I'm very interested in installing a Nest Thermostat, particularly with the added functionality of the new version. However I have been running the numbers and can't see how the Electric Ireland Offering makes sense.

I am an Elec. Irel customer and I'm on the Dual Value Reward tariff using roughly 13,500 kWh of gas and 3,500 kWh of electricity a year. The standard tariff cost per annum of using these amounts of fuels works out at €1,792.54 vs. €1,609.91 that my current tariff would cost. So switching to the standard tariff to avail of the Nest offer will cost me c. €180 per year or €360 over the two year contract.

In addition, I will be charged €99 for installation for the privilege of being an existing customer - while a new customer doesn't pay this charge! So the total cost to me is around €450 in extra usage amounts and installation fee. 

To buy the Nest direct from the company is €284 with the stand and I assume installation is around €100, so c. €385. 

My question: why on earth would I buy the Nest Thermostat from Electric Ireland when there is no incentive to do so? The real killer seems to be the fairly arbitrary €99 installation charge which makes it MORE expensive with Electric Ireland than going the DIY route.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭Electric Ireland: David

Hi tallpaul,

Thanks for your post.

The Nest device professionally installed, with the stand included, is valued at €374. We provide a discount of €250 for existing customers. The Nest also encourages greater energy efficiency, so is likely to lead to more energy savings over time.

We can appreciate that in your case it may make more sense to continue availing of our dual-fuel discounts rather than sign up to the Nest Thermostat price plan. This if of course up to you; we aim to offer value and choice, and some offers may suit customers more than others.

Further information on our available offers, including the latest Nest price plan, can be found here. If you have any other questions please don't hesitate to ask.

Regards,
    David

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭BONDIred

Hi,

I availed of the previous nest offer which I think was a year ago and was wondering if I can now update to the newer version of the Nest as an existing customer?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭Electric Ireland: Brige N

Hi BONDIred,

Thanks for your message.

We have consulted with our Home Services department regarding your query, and unfortunately it is not possible to upgrade your device while you are currently in a contract for the Nest you have at the moment.

If you have any other questions please let us know.

Thanks,
    Brige

________

Advertisement