Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas market

Options
  • 18-11-2015 4:24pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭

There nearly finished wrecking eyre square for the so called Continental Christmas Market. Have to say I am found of the mulled wine but will it be any differant to last year where it was all sub standard expensive food. What's the idea behind splitting it in two (more stall in spainish arch) Galway council been greedy again me thinks!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,952 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

You do realise that the City Council don't run the market?

Can you tell us what you would like to see, instead of the "sub standard expensive food"?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Well I for one am really looking forward to it, all of it.

Opens soon - Friday 20th November to Monday 21st December
    http://galwaychristmasmarket.ie/ agus https://www.facebook.com/galwaychristmasmarket/

• Registered Users Posts: 12,147 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

There nearly finished wrecking eyre square for the so called Continental Christmas Market. Have to say I am found of the mulled wine but will it be any differant to last year where it was all sub standard expensive food. What's the idea behind splitting it in two (more stall in spainish arch) Galway council been greedy again me thinks!!

Thats your January Eyre Square sunbathing out the window then OP.

Why is it so called, are German beer, Pretzels, Gluhwein, Prague Chimney Cakes, Ornaments from Belarus and a bakery from France somehow not considered Continental now?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Notch000

Don't forget the over priced sweet stands and the multiple charcoal grill sausage stands

• Registered Users Posts: 12,147 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Notch000 wrote: »
    Don't forget the over priced sweet stands and the multiple charcoal grill sausage stands

Nobody forces the money from anyones hands, while a lot of whats there is tat and shouldnt be in a market there is also plenty to enjoy.

• Advertisement

Nobody forces the money from anyones hands, while a lot of whats there is tat and shouldnt be in a market there is also plenty to enjoy.

Definition of a market pretty much includes that it sells tat.

If you want quality goods, head to BT or the like.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

Can you tell us what you would like to see, instead of the "sub standard expensive food"?

Exactly, there is nothing sub-standard about corn dogs!

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭shenanagans

I have nothing against the xmas market but it's not suitable for Eyre Sq. The place is like a bog once the market is over. It take months for the green areas to recover. It should be relocated to the Spanish Arch area which would be more suitable.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,127 ✭✭✭✭flazio

I have nothing against the xmas market but it's not suitable for Eyre Sq. The place is like a bog once the market is over. It take months for the green areas to recover. It should be relocated to the Spanish Arch area which would be more suitable.
    Too exposed, when storms like Abigail and Barney hit you might find the stalls washed up in the docks after a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

If you want quality goods, head to BT.
    British Telecom?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,127 ✭✭✭✭flazio

biko wrote: »
    British Telecom?

Brown Thomas

• Registered Users Posts: 5,841 ✭✭✭jeffk

What's the story on the market?
    Is it drive down from Dublin good?

Herself is mad to see it, we have done Belfast one, she seen the Dublin one then heard Waterford one isn't great.

Have planned a day trip this Monday, but curious is it another Dublin market, more food than Christmas

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

Between the Xmas market, the usual market, and the Winter Wonderland that setup on the docks complete with ice rink Galway gets pretty festive. So yeah, I'd say it's worth a visit for the festively inclined.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

jeffk wrote: »
    What's the story on the market?
    Is it drive down from Dublin good?

Herself is mad to see it, we have done Belfast one, she seen the Dublin one then heard Waterford one isn't great.

Have planned a day trip this Monday, but curious is it another Dublin market, more food than Christmas

Thanks!

Not worth going out of your way for, from Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭Laviski

totally agree.
    as long the the green areas are restored for the first holiday after xmas (st patricks day thats 3 months folks) as this year it was the first since it started that the square looked decent albeit this was in May. before you say it takes time for the grass to grow etc. for the amount of money they are charging traders they should be buying it in and roll it out when they leave the square.

Spanish Arch would be the worst place for it; it is completely unsheltered from wind and rain. If the weather continues like it has, it'll be a nightmare. Perhaps down the docks where Funderland has been.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Whereisgalway

So the city council don't make any money at all from the market?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

There is a bit of it at Spanish Arch this year

https://twitter.com/GalwayXmasMkt/status/666712330152099841

Anyway I wants Chimney Cakes

Seven Worlds will Collide

Milestone won a tender from the council to run it for a large fee. http://milestoneinventive.com/da/markets/galway-continental-christmas-market/

Any continental Christmas market across europe puts galways effort to shame

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

Ah time for the annual whine about the Christmas market thread. Gets me in the festive mood!

I love the market, it transforms Eyre square into the wino and teenager-infested wasteland into something actually worth visiting. I have friends come up to visit every year and they feel the same.

It's a shame we're all forced by gunpoint to visit it though, think the organisers messed up a bit in that regard.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Larianne wrote: »
    Not worth going out of your way for, from Dublin.

No it's not.

But you have to remember the rest of Galway is here too, which is well worth 2 hours on the motorway. :D

flazio wrote: »
    Brown Thomas

Biko probably still calls it Moons :)

Between the Xmas market, the usual market, and the Winter Wonderland that setup on the docks complete with ice rink Galway gets pretty festive. So yeah, I'd say it's worth a visit for the festively inclined.

Ice rink is going out in the grounds of Leisureland this year, according to today's GalwayIndo.

I have nothing against the xmas market but it's not suitable for Eyre Sq. The place is like a bog once the market is over. It take months for the green areas to recover.

A bog with great big tarmac paths thru the middle of it!

Biko probably still calls it Moons :)

Ice rink is going out in the grounds of Leisureland this year, according to today's GalwayIndo.

A bog with great big tarmac paths thru the middle of it!

Surely with the amount of money Galway council make from market they could do a better n faster job fixing it up. After all It is a PUBLIC park

Ah time for the annual whine about the Christmas market thread. Gets me in the festive mood!

I love the market, it transforms Eyre square into the wino and teenager-infested wasteland into something actually worth visiting. I have friends come up to visit every year and they feel the same.

It's a shame we're all forced by gunpoint to visit it though, think the organisers messed up a bit in that regard.

It should be moved away from anywhere that has a lot of grass, unless they cover the grass completely in some form of temporary foundation. There's no denying that it turns to a muddy nightmare towards the end of the market, which then leave Eyre Square an absolute eyesore for weeks afterwards, with everything worn down and muddy.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

It should be moved away from anywhere that has a lot of grass, unless they cover the grass completely in some form of temporary foundation. There's no denying that it turns to a muddy nightmare towards the end of the market, which then leave Eyre Square an absolute eyesore for weeks afterwards, with everything worn down and muddy.

Some grass gets muddy, big deal, I don't care and I'd say most people don't either. Eyre square is grim in January, grass or no grass.

Some grass gets muddy, big deal, I don't care and I'd say most people don't either. Eyre square is grim in January, grass or no grass.

This.

The ONLY function that Eyre Square has in January is as a place to walk thru when going between Shop St / Merchant's Rd and the bus station / Fibbers etc. The paths are always left in a condition which makes this totally possible.

Last year, they did eventually put down rolls of grass imported from elsewhere, after attempts to re-grow it from seed failed (because the birds ate all the seeds, I suspect). Likely that they've learned from the experience that this is the only way.

(Imagine what it would do the to grass if someone who's been granted Freedom of the City really did bring their sheep in to pasture there!)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,841 ✭✭✭jeffk

Das Kitty wrote: »
    No it's not.

But you have to remember the rest of Galway is here too, which is well worth 2 hours on the motorway. :D

Been down to see Galway a few times(LOI matches/weekend/day trips).

Its a shame the hotels are silly money/"city centre" aka 15 minutes walk or €20 parking on top of hotel(she doesn't like guesthouse/B&B, stayed in the Lighthouse down there was enough for her)

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭ceatharloch

On a particular topic in the Christmas Market: Its a pity the transition was made from

{Bratwurst, Frankfurters, Bockwurst, etc.}

in the first few years of the market to the all-encompassing

{small hot dogs, large hot dogs}

in recent years. Not alone does the latter give little choice - it is completely American, versus the authentic German sausages that used to be there. Will there be any genuine choice of German sausages this year? :confused:

This.

The ONLY function that Eyre Square has in January is as a place to walk thru when going between Shop St / Merchant's Rd and the bus station / Fibbers etc. The paths are always left in a condition which makes this totally possible.

Last year, they did eventually put down rolls of grass imported from elsewhere, after attempts to re-grow it from seed failed (because the birds ate all the seeds, I suspect). Likely that they've learned from the experience that this is the only way.

(Imagine what it would do the to grass if someone who's been granted Freedom of the City really did bring their sheep in to pasture there!)

Tourists arrive in Galway also in January and the first think they see is a torn up main square that's meant to be for the public. Not going to do its 2020 bid much help looking like it did last year.

Let's hope the market is better this year, even though Galway council alway amaze me with their greed and stupidity (cheaper to use grass seed but not intelligent enough to know birds love the stuff)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

in recent years. Not alone does the latter give little choice - it is completely American, versus the authentic German sausages that used to be there. Will there be any genuine choice of German sausages this year? :confused:

Doubtful. As I understand it, it was a completely different company who did it the first year, so that's why you don't have any proper authentic stuff. The first year was absolutely fantastic.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement