Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas market

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 673 ✭✭✭GekkePrutser

On a particular topic in the Christmas Market: Its a pity the transition was made from

{Bratwurst, Frankfurters, Bockwurst, etc.}

in the first few years of the market to the all-encompassing

{small hot dogs, large hot dogs}

in recent years. Not alone does the latter give little choice - it is completely American, versus the authentic German sausages that used to be there. Will there be any genuine choice of German sausages this year? :confused:

Yeah I'm totally missing those too. The German sausages were great, especially the Krakauers. The hot dogs are not worth the price IMO. I think they only had the real ones the first year.

I think it's because most vendors are from the UK and of course Ireland now. The first year there were more vendors from continental Europe. Not saying that's bad but it does make it less 'continental'.

I was talking to a Dutch stall owner at the time and he said he would not be coming back as there was more money to be made on German markets. I suppose with it being the first year, and the recession in full swing the uptake was low and it put some vendors off.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

Funny, I was just asking where to find german sausages in the where to find thread. Odd the obvious demand and long shelf-life that two german grocers don't import bratwurst anymore.

Joachim in the market has the real thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,952 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Tourists arrive in Galway also in January and the first think they see is a torn up main square that's meant to be for the public. Not going to do its 20/20 bid much help looking like it did last year.

2020 != Tidy Towns (thank goodness!)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Whereisgalway

20/20 != Tidy Towns (thank goodness!)

Childish and immature response

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭archieknox

Definitely the Winterval Xmas extravaganza in Waterford is well worth a visit. There is something for everyone not just the kids, the whole city comes alive from the Friday to Sunday on each weekend between here and Xmas which it runs on. The Waterford City and County Council deserve great credit for the organising of such a wonderful successful event every year. It brings thousands of visitors to the city each year helping to boost the local economy along with giving the place a much needed positive feedback for future tourists to visit the country's oldest city.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Das Kitty wrote: »
    No it's not.

But you have to remember the rest of Galway is here too, which is well worth 2 hours on the motorway. :D

Ssssh! All these blown-ins will come and want to stay. Can't be having that! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Larianne wrote: »

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Larianne wrote: »

:D

Eyre square is pretty much the prefect place for it and it really transforms Galway into a more Christmassy place. Who gives a fiddlers about the grass.

As for what's in the market, once the beer tent is there that's the important one :D

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Pic stolen from someone on facebuke, who in turn stole it from their site :)

12239490_10207132115237152_6209519663810997390_n.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

biko wrote: »
    Pic stolen from someone on facebuke, who in turn stole it from their site :)

Photo by Michael Dillon.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,952 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Eyre square is pretty much the prefect place for it and it really transforms Galway into a more Christmassy place. Who gives a fiddlers about the grass.

Apparently some people think that good looking grass is an indicator of culture. I'm still scratching my head about the link myself, I've always thought that time spent mowing grass could be put to pretty much any more productive use, but there ya go.

Personally I'm more of a mulled-wine tent woman. Will be interesting to see how it goes down at the Arch - granted there is an association between it and wine, but usually it's a cheaper variety there!

Market official opening at 6pm tonight. Lots of people working hard quite late yesterday evening getting it all into place.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,068 ✭✭✭LoonyLovegood

Heading down in a bit to see it, I'm looking forward to my annual corn dog.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Whereisgalway

, I've always thought that time spent mowing grass could be put to pretty much any more productive use, but there ya go.

That is very condescending and childish. Have reported

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭xtradel

Childish and immature response

Have you an issue with Mrs O?

Your posts are far from Mature :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,147 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

That deserves a large stein of lol.

Had a walk around both of them there. The Black Forest Bar at the Arch is nice,but there's next to no alcohol in any of the warm drinks we had. To be honest the rest of both locations is fairly sh1te, must be at least ten sausage grills, duplicate tat stalls at both and no French bakery.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,841 ✭✭✭jeffk

Likely off topic but

Thinking of using q-park for the €8 for 8 hours price.

Is this the best option for location/price?

• Registered Users Posts: 17 speakelton

Correct me if I'm wrong but is that pic not from last year? The only reason I'm asking is because I thought they took a load of the tents from eyre Sq to Spanish arch, Quay Street etc... With the intention of protecting the wonderfully cultural Galway grass of eyre Sq.

That said I haven't been in yet so I don't know myself

No macaroons, no corn dogs and FIVE identical grills (small/large hotdogs or burger)...

In better news, the Chimney Cake stand is back, just not open yet.

Also the new beer tent looks awful, very open and packed. The new beer hall down at the Spanish Arch is great though, no steins but a few nice beers on tap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,924 ✭✭✭Storm 10

speakelton wrote: »
    Correct me if I'm wrong but is that pic not from last year? The only reason I'm asking is because I thought they took a load of the tents from eyre Sq to Spanish arch, Quay Street etc... With the intention of protecting the wonderfully cultural Galway grass of eyre Sq.

That said I haven't been in yet so I don't know myself

Has to be a picture from last year as the clock tower is at the Spanish Arch

J o e wrote: »
    No macaroons, no corn dogs and FIVE identical grills (small/large hotdogs or burger)...

In better news, the Chimney Cake stand is back, just not open yet.

Also the new beer tent looks awful, very open and packed. The new beer hall down at the Spanish Arch is great though, no steins but a few nice beers on tap.

Chimney Cake was open when i went through.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,446 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

That path where the beer tent is will get very crowded. Anyone try that Wood Oven Bread stall? They're doing some sort of a cross between a panini and a pizza. They look ok but I didn't want to stump up €7 to eat standing in the rain just yet.
    Didn't get to the Sparch yet. What beers are they doing there? Anything unusual?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,514 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Is the market totally set up yet? I walked through it this evening and, well, there didn't seem to be a lot of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,446 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Yep. They can't use the grass area this year so they've split it. The other half is down the Spanish Arch. They have a commuter (Santa) train running between the two.
    Could be a test run for the GLUAS to see if there are any collisions between the train and the Coke Zero Bikes at Cross Street.

That path where the beer tent is will get very crowded. Anyone try that Wood Oven Bread stall? They're doing some sort of a cross between a panini and a pizza. They look ok but I didn't want to stump up €7 to eat standing in the rain just yet.
    Didn't get to the Sparch yet. What beers are they doing there? Anything unusual?

Nope just faux craft in Cute Hoor, and then Moretti and Paulaner.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

Man of aran fudge, chimney cake, pretzels, german bear, mulled wine & hot whiskeys, a few craft stalls. I think its a pretty decent market, I would like to see a few more craft stalls but it's still a good market.

As for the splitting in two I assumed it was an attempt to get people moving around the city and hopefully spending a bit on shop street, and to not have it all on eyre square because the council were pissed off about the grass last time. I think having it spread out like winterfest in waterford is a good Idea

• Registered Users Posts: 6,216 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

is the pig on a spit down there? yum

• Registered Users Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

is the pig on a spit down there? yum

they are there put it's not on a spit, they have more a standard chipper van trailer this year, it's the same crowd though so still yum

• Advertisement

Nope just faux craft in Cute Hoor

Ah didn't realise this was made by the big guys, makes sense now why it was available at the Heineken branded Electric Picnic. I must admit I did enjoy the red ale!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement