Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas market

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Was in beer tent down Spanish Arch yesterday, great craic!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

biko wrote: »
    Was in beer tent down Spanish Arch yesterday, great craic!

Do you have to pay in?What was good about it?

It's free.
    Go down and find out for yourself :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,149 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

J o e wrote: »
    Ah didn't realise this was made by the big guys, makes sense now why it was available at the Heineken branded Electric Picnic. I must admit I did enjoy the red ale!

Made by c&c.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Made by c&c.

Cute Hoor is made by Heiniken, it was previously called Rising Road.

• Advertisement

Cute Hoor is made by Heiniken, it was previously called Rising Road.

Correct,clonmel 1650 is what I was thinking of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Both muck in fairness!
    :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

Came up from limerick last year for it.
    Waste of time i thought very boring
    All burger hotdog stalls and tat

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

bigpink wrote: »

Must have felt a lot like you were home in limerick so :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,849 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

bigpink wrote: »

Came up from Limerick last year for it as well.
    Really enjoyed it. Browsed around the stalls, got a bite to eat and a glass of mulled wine. Went to the shops and Neachtains and then back to the Beer Tent before getting the bus home.

It's what you make of it I suppose.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭GalwayGrrrrrl

They have a commuter (Santa) train running between the two.

Does anyone know how much the train costs. I know it's easy to walk between the two sites but my kiddies would love the train

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Chimney cake is really the only thing worth going for :P

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Whereisgalway

Does anyone know how much the train costs. I know it's easy to walk between the two sites but my kiddies would love the train

It's rip off Galway so don't expect it to be value for money

http://www.galwaytouristtrain.com/time-table-fares/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭GalwayGrrrrrl

That's the summer timetable- I presume (hope) it's cheaper for the Christmas train!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

I happened to be in Stuttgart last year when their market was on.
    It covered a large area of the city centre.
    It seemed to consist of a gluwine stall, a wooden ornament stall, a wurst stall, a generic Christmas tat stall and a burger stall and then somebody went crazy with the copy and paste and covered the whole city centre with the same 5 stalls repeated over and over again.
    All in all it left me feeling the Galway experience was pretty authentic, just not repeated quite as many times as the one in Stuttgart.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭The Randy Riverbeast

They could do with more hot dog places in the market. I was nearly unable to see any when I looked in a certain direction.

Anyone know what type of sausage they use in the large ones?

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Crumpets

Had a walk around both of them there. The Black Forest Bar at the Arch is nice,but there's next to no alcohol in any of the warm drinks we had. To be honest the rest of both locations is fairly sh1te, must be at least ten sausage grills, duplicate tat stalls at both and no French bakery.
    No macaroons, no corn dogs and FIVE identical grills (small/large hotdogs or burger)...

There is a French bakery lads! With macaroons. It's past the beer tent at the back of Eyre Square (closest to the train station).

Also, corn dog man posted apologies on his facebook page about not being able to attend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

Crumpets wrote: »
    There is a French bakery lads! With macaroons.
    I thought they were only doing the pizza baguette things, hold my beer...

Crumpets wrote: »
    There is a French bakery lads! With macaroons. It's past the beer tent at the back of Eyre Square (closest to the train station).

Crisis averted - found them! That tent was closed Friday when I was in, thought it was storage or something down the back!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,453 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

They could do with more hot dog places in the market. I was nearly unable to see any when I looked in a certain direction.

Up?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

jeffk wrote: »
    Likely off topic but

Thinking of using q-park for the €8 for 8 hours price.

Is this the best option for location/price?

Probably too late for you, but the train station car park behind the Meyrick hotel is €6 for 24 hours and is the closest to the market in Eyre Square. Can be hard to find a space, but you also have a good chance of meeting someone leaving who might hand you their ticket...

Crisis averted - found them! That tent was closed Friday when I was in, thought it was storage or something down the back!

Ya was closed when i was there too, smaller selection of stuff this year in the bakery too im told, disappointing.

They're still building up their selection. They only had plain macaroons, said they'd have a few different types in the next few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Paddyfield

They're doing something right if comes back every year and it improves every year. It is what it is and it would be a loss to Galway if it ceased trading or moved to another town.

I met friends (from Dublin) in Galway last year who were blown away by it. They embraced the overpriced charcoal cooked burgers (that are semi-cooked separately before being placed in long-dated buns) and the expensive run-of-the-mill beer. They are coming again in a fortnight with their in-laws. Repeat business is good business.

The bottom line is that this is Galway, It's a great brand. Good luck to Waterford and Dublin and anywhere else who is trying to replicate the Christmas market buzz but so long as we don't take it for granted, then the Galway Christmas market will continue to thrive.

They'd love to have our problems to solve in other towns and cities. As soon as we can prevent the grass from being cut up, sort out the gridlock and stop the rain, then we will be alright. And for what it's worth, I don't for a minute believe that the first impressions of a tourist arriving in Eyre Square next January will be tarnished by a brief glimpse of muddy grass. There's more to Galway than that. That's why people keep coming back.

Paddyfield wrote: »
    They're doing something right if comes back every year and it improves every year. It is what it is and it would be a loss to Galway if it ceased trading or moved to another town.

I met friends (from Dublin) in Galway last year who were blown away by it. They embraced the overpriced charcoal cooked burgers (that are semi-cooked separately before being placed in long-dated buns) and the expensive run-of-the-mill beer. They are coming again in a fortnight with their in-laws. Repeat business is good business.

The bottom line is that this is Galway, It's a great brand. Good luck to Waterford and Dublin and anywhere else who is trying to replicate the Christmas market buzz but so long as we don't take it for granted, then the Galway Christmas market will continue to thrive.

They'd love to have our problems to solve in other towns and cities. As soon as we can prevent the grass from being cut up, sort out the gridlock and stop the rain, then we will be alright. And for what it's worth, I don't for a minute believe that the first impressions of a tourist arriving in Eyre Square next January will be tarnished by a brief glimpse of muddy grass. There's more to Galway than that. That's why people keep coming back.

The only part of your post that id disagree with, the first year was miles better, the following have been getting steadily poorer in my opinion. It will always appeal to the masses no matter whats in it, but for the rest of us its a missed opportunity.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,453 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Does anybody know if they are doing the Woodquay market one of the weekends as part of it this year? They were originally planning it but I've heard nothing recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

I saw a notice in one of the papers notifying the street closure.

The link to it is coming up in Google. (http://www.galwaycity.ie/news/310/59/Public-Notice-of-Intention-Temporary-Closure-of-Woodquay-Northbound-lane-only-to-facilitate-the-Galway-Artisan-Food-and-Craft-Christmas-Market/publications/?filter=Development%20Contribution%20Scheme)

But when I try to follow it, the plug-in on the website crashes.

So far had a big hot dog and a crepe (feta, ham, onions) each cost €5
    Nice and pretty ok christmas market value I think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭irish_major

Is the windmill house, the mulled wine tent, gone?
    Used love that place!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement