Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas market

Options
1235»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Whereisgalway

The original market was run by Market place Europe who run markets all over the UK and Northern Ireland.They ran into alot of problems with the city council trying to rip them off and the Galway city business association.They said they would never do business in the Republic again after the crap.Overpriced that went on in Galway.Alot of dodgy goings on.

Not one bit surprised Galway county council are so greedy

• Registered Users Posts: 12,147 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Why dont you start a GCC thread, might save the rest of us having to read your tiresome whingeing.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,952 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Market is nothing to do with the County Council.

Market is nothing to do with the County Council.

I did mean city council, I think most of the intelligent people on here would have copped that but then again TROLLS like you love picking up on small mistakes

• Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭siltirocker

The City Council doesn't run it.

The Market is owed/ran by Galway City Business Association, which is a group of citywide businesses as the name suggests.

They get permission to run it by the City Council.

Then, the day to day running of the market is by Milestone, an event management company.

The stalls go to the highest bidder also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,161 ✭✭✭✭sammyjo90

If it's ~12,500 just for the stall that means you need to make €450 profit a day just to cover the cost of the stall. I assume the price isn't that high for the smaller stalls...

it goes by how much space you take u but its around 8 grand for the smaller stalls excl vat and electricity.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,026 ✭✭✭✭cena

What a load of rubbish. Walked around in 5 mins today

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭death1234567

cena wrote: »
    Had you never been to Eyre square before? What were you expecting, a central park sized area with 500 log cabins full of Xmas fun?

You're right though we should go back to having eyre square full of empty space, wind and rain during the winter. The atmosphere used to be deadly, in fact bring back the old public toilets where the homeless lived too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,230 ✭✭✭bobbyss

Why dont you start a GCC thread, might save the rest of us having to read your tiresome whingeing.

1.' ...the rest of us...' ? Since when are you speaking for me?

2. A tiresome whingeing ? Aren't you supposed to focus on the post not the poster?

3. 'having to read'. ? Who says you have to read anything?

Thank you ben.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

Nothing brings out the Christmas spirit better than the Galway Christmas Market. It's that magical time of year we have something better to whinge about than weather and traffic.

• Advertisement

cena wrote: »

A beacon of light!

Surprised it took you all of 5 minutes to work that out!

It's dire. Nothing in it. I was there once .. oh ... about three years ago and never came back.

I am sure I was missed...Not!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

Was there at the weekend and was majorly disappointed.

Haven't read every reply but would the market run 5 years ago (2010) have been run by Market Place Europe or the crowd that's running it now?

Only went to the beer tent last year but in 2010 the market was really cool and it had some cool stalls as well as a variety of food (boar, ostrich, etc. burgers) but now it just seems to offer sausages and plain old burgers.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

We were over in Galway yesterday for an appointment so we decided we would have a nosy around the market while we were in the city. I was a bit disappointed to be honest. There wasn't much there to interest us. Just seemed to be hot dog stands. We got a few French pastries and a box of fudge. I was expecting more Christmas ornaments and gifts and craft stalls. We were there a few years ago and there was far more atmosphere. Granted it was 4 bells when we were there yesterday (Monday) but it felt very empty.

We then went down to the Spanish arch, and it was literally the same stalls again!

The merry go round on Eyre Square looked to be good though, but we had been to the hospital so spinning around wouldn't have been a good idea!

bobbyss wrote: »
    1.' ...the rest of us...' ? Since when are you speaking for me?

2. A tiresome whingeing ? Aren't you supposed to focus on the post not the poster?

3. 'having to read'. ? Who says you have to read anything?

Thank you ben.

Replace 'us' with lots of others, the poster whinges a lot about the county council and being ripped off, therefore their posts are full of whingeing about same, im unsure of the difficulty you're having there. If i want to read this thread then i do have to come across the posts, thanks though for the concern, i do appreciate it.

The french bakery definitely doesnt seem to be the same crowd as previous years, or else they've a lot less of what they used to do and when did cannolis become French?

Nothing brings out the Christmas spirit better than the Galway Christmas Market. It's that magical time of year we have something better to whinge about than weather and traffic.

Careful now or you'll be called out for saying people are whingeing.

Replace 'us' with lots of others, the poster whinges a lot about the county council and being ripped off, therefore their posts are full of whingeing about same, im unsure of the difficulty you're having there. If i want to read this thread then i do have to come across the posts, thanks though for the concern, i do appreciate it.

The french bakery definitely doesnt seem to be the same crowd as previous years, or else they've a lot less of what they used to do and when did cannolis become French?

Thanks for your qualification: 'Replace 'us' with lots of others,...' and your explanation: 'the poster whinges a lot about the county council and being ripped off, therefore their posts are full of whingeing about same,...' .

Thanks ben.

Careful now or you'll be called out for saying people are whingeing.

Ben from what I can see a lot of your posts are similar to what a troll might post, passive aggressive snide little remarks about other posters which adds very little to OP's topic, which if you took the time to read it is about Galway city council been greedy with the Christmas market

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Ben from what I can see a lot of your posts are similar to what a troll might post, passive aggressive snide little remarks about other posters which adds very little to OP's topic, which if you took the time to read it is about Galway city council been greedy with the Christmas market

where your evidence about the council being greedy on this matter?

where your evidence about the council being greedy on this matter?

Whereisgalway's post is an astute observation and concerns ben's snide comments.

It is not about the council's greediness.

Correct me if I'm wrong but this is the Xmas Market thread, it has nothing to do with your personal grievances with GCC. Stick to the topic. I dare say my posts about the various stalls, my experience walking around it and such like have added a little more than your persistent GCC bashing, which again has nothing to do with the thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

The thread was started to give out about GCC << see what I did there ;)
    Attempts where made to bring about a general discussion about the attractions and wares. That didn't happen and isnt actually in line with the original post.
    Calling people trolls isn't nice Whereisgalway so stop that please. If a post is reported the mods will check and make a decision.

Let's stop here and a new thread can be made about market food/beer/wares/attractions, and we'll postpone the GCC greed discussion until 2016.

Thanks.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement