Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Photography discussion Nikon compared to Sigma zoom lenses

Options
  • 18-11-2015 4:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

Hi i decided to post this up for discussion & opinions on Camera lenses because i find it can be hard picking out a good lens to suit most of your needs like a walk around multi purpose lens now i know there are people who will have allot of lenses for different types of photography which is fine. There are two lenses i am going to mention one is the Nikon 55 - 200 mm VR the other is Sigma 50 - 200 mm OS both lenses seem to be very similar. I often find allot of discussion online on lens topics i would like people who have used these lenses to give there thought on experience, below i have posted specs

Nikon AF-S DX Zoom-Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6G IF-ED VR Lens

Lens Type Zoom lens
    Focal length 55 - 200 mm
    Image stabilisation Yes
    Maximum aperture F4 - 5.6
    Minimum aperture F22.0
    Maximum magnification 0.29x
    Minimum focus Distance 1.1m (3.6 ft.) (through the entire zoom range)
    Lens Constructions (Elements / Groups) 15/11
    Special elements / coatings 1 ED glass element
    Number of diaphragm blades 7
    Focus method Internal, Auto Focus
    Filter Attachment Size 52 mm
    Dimensions 73 x 99.5 mm
    Weight 335 g

Sigma 50-200mm f/4-5.6 DC OS HSM

Lens Construction 14 Elements in 10 Groups
    Angle of View 27.9-7.1
    Number of Diaphragm Blades 8
    Mininum Aperture f22
    Minimum Focusing Distance 110 cm / 43.3 in
    Filter Size (mm) 55
    Maximum Magnifications 1:4.5
    Dimensions
    (Diameter x Length) 74.4x102.2 mm/2.9x4.0 in
    Weight 420g / 14.8oz.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

Apologies if I am "throwing a spanner into you works" here. I've had a Tamron 16-300mm F/3.5-6.3 Di II VC PZD MACRO for almost a year now and it is my go to general purpose lens.

As you are using the specs table for the others here is the Tamron's.

Focal Length [mm] 16-300
    Maximum Aperture F/3.5-6.3
    Minimum Object Distance [m] 0.39
    Maximum Magnification Ratio 1:2.9
    Filter Size [mm] 67
    Weight [g] 540
    Item No B016
    Groups-Elements 12-16
    Angle of view 82°12-5°20‘
    Diaphragm Blades 7
    Minimum Aperture F/22-40
    Diameter x Length [mm] 75 x 99.5
    Available Colors Black

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Auction_king

Pat Dunne - Thank you for posting up the lens your using. I have never used Tamron products but it looks like a great lens you didn't mention if it has a vibration reduction option on it ? i am currently using a Nikon D3100 for the past year and i will tell you that i am very happy with it . I have used both lenses that i mentioned both to me are very similar lenses but in terms of build quality i would rate the Sigma a better lens compared to the Nikon. what kind of photography are you interested in , are you a member of any camera clubs ?

Pat Dunne - Thank you for posting up the lens your using. I have never used Tamron products but it looks like a great lens you didn't mention if it has a vibration reduction option on it ? i am currently using a Nikon D3100 for the past year and i will tell you that i am very happy with it . I have used both lenses that i mentioned both to me are very similar lenses but in terms of build quality i would rate the Sigma a better lens compared to the Nikon. what kind of photography are you interested in , are you a member of any camera clubs ?

I am a Canon70D user and have absolutely no experience of either Nikon or Sigma, so I am afraid I can't vouch for either marque. Although I am giving some serious consideration to the Sigma 35mm Art lens.

Yes, the 16-300 has the Vibration Reduction, which in my opinion its up there with the Canon IS system, as is the auto focus.

I do a mixed range of photgraphy, from motor sports (purely for my own enjoyment) to media events, which are work related.

When I'm heading on a casual holiday with no specific photgraphic events involved, its the one and only lens I pack in the bag.

Build quality is equal to and in some cases better than a number of my Canon's.

Basically, its my go to walk around lens.

Not a member of any photography club.

Pat Dunne -That seems like a very good lens you have is the quality good when it gets to 300 where do you buy your lenses may i ask? I often find allot of discussion debating on which lenses are better, me i find sigma are pretty much the same as Nikon in most cases and better built whats your view on this topic ?

Pat Dunne -That seems like a very good lens you have is the quality good when it gets to 300 where do you buy your lenses may i ask? I often find allot of discussion debating on which lenses are better, me i find sigma are pretty much the same as Nikon in most cases and better built whats your view on this topic ?

I'm can't fault it so far with the results I got at all distances. In my opinion its a good lens for the money I spent on it. I'll be hanging on to it for a while.

Unfortunately, I can't offer an opinion on Nikon or Sigma, as I have no experience of either. However based on my experience with Canon and Tamron, the build quality is very good on both, with no optical flaws that I can detect on the lens I use from either manufacturer. The 16-300 is put together very well, it weather proofed, it has a metal bayonet attachment and its done all I've asked of it very well.

My reason for buying the 16-300 was simply the convience factor, its easy to carry around and offers good results. I have a Canon 100-400L which has served me brilliantly over the years, however carrying it around on a causal holiday or off chance occasions, is just not practical.

I bought it in Bermingham's, Burgh Quay, along with almost all my other stuff.

• Advertisement

Pat Dunne wrote: »
    I'm can't fault it so far with the results I got at all distances. In my opinion its a good lens for the money I spent on it. I'll be hanging on to it for a while.

Unfortunately, I can't offer an opinion on Nikon or Sigma, as I have no experience of either. However based on my experience with Canon and Tamron, the build quality is very good on both, with no optical flaws that I can detect on the lens I use from either manufacturer. The 16-300 is put together very well, it weather proofed, it has a metal bayonet attachment and its done all I've asked of it very well.

My reason for buying the 16-300 was simply the convience factor, its easy to carry around and offers good results. I have a Canon 100-400L which has served me brilliantly over the years, however carrying it around on a causal holiday or off chance occasions, is just not practical.

I bought it in Bermingham's, Burgh Quay, along with almost all my other stuff.

That looks Similar to the Sigma 18 - 300 good to have a general all around lens :-) do you use a full frame camera ? do you do any other types of photography ? i'm looking to get the 50mm 1.8G prime lens the aperture is supposed to be great on it might join a camera club in the new year you up in Dublin with your camera where would you recommend as good places to go with camera

That looks Similar to the Sigma 18 - 300 good to have a general all around lens :-) do you use a full frame camera ? do you do any other types of photography ? i'm looking to get the 50mm 1.8G prime lens the aperture is supposed to be great on it might join a camera club in the new year you up in Dublin with your camera where would you recommend as good places to go with camera
    My camera is a Canon 70D which is a cropped sensor camera similar to your own.

The 50 1.8 is a good lens, I have the 1.4 version in my bag, however I seldom use it, as the 50mm becomes (for my camera) the equivlant of a 80mm lens, which I find arkward to use. I would suggest a 35mm or a 28mm.

I recently got my hands on an old Canon 28mm 2.8, which is really nice to use as it gives me a field of view similar to what I see with my own eyes. I now generally use it at parties and functions. I don't find myself having to take loads of backward steps to frame the shot properly, which I constantly had to do with the 50mm. I found this especially awkward when shooting in a confined space or when there were other photographers trying to get the same shot. You should get a second hand one for less than €100

My other wide aperture lens is a Tamron SP AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di II LD, this has a constant 2.8 aperture over the entire focal length and is excellent to use. Based on the the enviorns I find myself in I will use this one over the 28mm.

Yes, get involved with a club in your locality, its always worthwhile.

Dublin offers a massive range of photo ops. Whether its just walking around Grafton St or St Stephens Green doing some street photography, or visiting The Phoenix Park and the Zoo, Howth Head is always a favourite, to be honest the possibilities are endless. Make a list of places you'd like to visit and plan ahead. There are a number of meet up groups who do "photo walks" in Dublin, they can be good fun its also nice to have a group around you for reassurance sometimes. Occasionally there is a Boards photo walk as well.

Whatever you do, enjoy your photography. :)

Pat Dunne wrote: »
    My camera is a Canon 70D which is a cropped sensor camera similar to your own.

The 50 1.8 is a good lens, I have the 1.4 version in my bag, however I seldom use it, as the 50mm becomes (for my camera) the equivlant of a 80mm lens, which I find arkward to use. I would suggest a 35mm or a 28mm.

I recently got my hands on an old Canon 28mm 2.8, which is really nice to use as it gives me a field of view similar to what I see with my own eyes. I now generally use it at parties and functions. I don't find myself having to take loads of backward steps to frame the shot properly, which I constantly had to do with the 50mm. I found this especially awkward when shooting in a confined space or when there were other photographers trying to get the same shot. You should get a second hand one for less than €100

My other wide aperture lens is a Tamron SP AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di II LD, this has a constant 2.8 aperture over the entire focal length and is excellent to use. Based on the the enviorns I find myself in I will use this one over the 28mm.

Yes, get involved with a club in your locality, its always worthwhile.

Dublin offers a massive range of photo ops. Whether its just walking around Grafton St or St Stephens Green doing some street photography, or visiting The Phoenix Park and the Zoo, Howth Head is always a favourite, to be honest the possibilities are endless. Make a list of places you'd like to visit and plan ahead. There are a number of meet up groups who do "photo walks" in Dublin, they can be good fun its also nice to have a group around you for reassurance sometimes. Occasionally there is a Boards photo walk as well.

Whatever you do, enjoy your photography. :)

You seem to know quite allot about photography :-) i will be joining a club in the new year
    do you know if that lens will be like an 80 mm on my camera ? Thanks for all the helpful advice you gave me i really have allot to learn with my camera

You seem to know quite allot about photography :-) i will be joining a club in the new year
    do you know if that lens will be like an 80 mm on my camera ? Thanks for all the helpful advice you gave me i really have allot to learn with my camera

Thanks for the compliment, but I'm still learning 37 years after getting my first camera :) .
    Yes, your camera is also a crop sensor, the the ratio is slightly different between Canon (1.6) and Nikon (1.5). Based on that, a 50mm lens on your camera would be the equivalent to a 75mm.

Have a look at the following link with regard to Crop sensors https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crop_factor#Estimating_sensor_performance

All the very best and enjoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭poundhound

• Advertisement

poundhound wrote: »

Did you get it yet? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭poundhound

It was only dispatched today, so it's on the way.

poundhound wrote: »
    It was only dispatched today, so it's on the way.

Enjoy :)

Advertisement