Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1000 KM cycle in 10 days

Options
  • 18-11-2015 5:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

First of all sorry if my post is in the wrong section, I looked around and thought it looked at home here :D

So as the title suggests I am planning on cycling 1,000km in 10 days, going from Ireland to Lourdes, France. Aug 2016. A group of 5 of us, it's going to be a charity cycle and we have already secured some large corporate sponsorship.....only downside, we are nowhere near ready and honestly fitness levels are the worse you can imagine. Age group ranges from 30-55, and we have the best intentions but no idea where to start.

We are working on logistics, accommodation, even some marketing for charity campaign, but we do understand most important parts is the cycling :) and even the fuel for our body!

I was wondering does anyone have any advice, about a training programme? I have searched and search online so any help would be great. The young boy inside me says, jump on a bike and just cycle cycle.....that was fine for 10km till I was out of breath.....yes this is the size of our challenge

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated

thanks everyone

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭Koobcam

I've done some Audax events this year and have met a few people through that who would be well used to doing long distance stuff. I'd say you would find some good tips there-have a look at the Audax Ireland website. I know there is oe event called the Celtic knot 1000 which, as the name suggests, is a 1000km cycle. Not sure if you use Strava but there are some Audax folk on there who you could follow and see what sort of training they get up to. Apart from that, not sure really, but fair play to you for taking on the challenge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

Just start riding your bike more, your body will adapt quickly.

Make small increases in distance every week, do that for 3 weeks and then maybe have an easy week. Rinse and repeat. You'll be up to 50km in no time.

Could ye join a club, beginners group in a club would be ideal once you are used to bike and riding 20-30km solo.

In late spring or so you can start worrying about 100km and multi days. A weekend with 3 days of 60km each day or so would be a good idea, May bank holiday or so.

For know put the 100km/100km out of your head and just look to improve week by week.

Search forum for comfort advice regarding shorts, fit etc. but a good inclusive cycling club will be good there aso

Enjoy it'll be a blast.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Esroh

Its a great goal and fair play to you for taking it on. You should use this thread as a log for your training.

You say you were out of Breath after 10km but I bet you went hard rather than just cycled. It was a natural Reaction to see how hard you could go.
    1000km is a huge number now but do not obscess over it.
    At 20kph its 5 hours x10 days . You are actually training to spend time on the bike over 10 days.
    You will need a few days to adjust to the bike fit. Your neck and lower back and your ass will take a bit of time adapt to the bike so take it.
    Get out and ride as often as you can .Record the amount of time you do rather than speed or distance.
    By Dec 18th you will have surprised yourself, get through Christmas and with your new speedo:D you can start to look at your speed and distance which will come on automatically as you get stronger.
    From Jan 1st you can start the real work

• Registered Users Posts: 7 sos88

Hey Koobcam - thanks for the tips, just signed up to Strava this morning - and plenty of reading material on the AUDAX website to keep me busy.

Ford - thanks for the tips - completely agree, i think its pretty easy/dangerous to focus too much on the 100km, it's a big jump from where I am at, so going to do it in stages

Esroh - yeah i actually went hell for leather on the 10km cycle, country hilly roads on a windy morning - wasn't the best when i think back on it ha!

off to the gym after work today, see what I can do - the weather here is making it impossible to get on the bike, I dont mind the rain, but the wind is actually pretty dangerous

I am reading about nutrition on another site - something again i completely gazed over beforehand :/ so getting all my tips in now, thanks again everyone!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Regarding nutrition, on an extended cycle like this, eat proper meals rather than focussing on 'race food' like gels and such.

• Advertisement
Advertisement