Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Four Weeks in Austria?

• 18-11-2015 6:40pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭

So I have a trip to Ischgl planned from 23rd Jan - 30th Jan and a trip to Mayrhofen 27th Feb for a week. There's been quite a change at work and it looks like I may be off all of Feb or March . I'm toying with the idea of staying in Austria between both ski trips, buying a Snow Card to cover my time there. Only issue I have is with accommodation, I've looked at immodirekt and AirBnB but crazy prices for most of the accommodation in resorts. I was hoping to get by with 1500e for accommodation and food (Lidl pasta diet :D ) for the four weeks in between trips.

Before looking at 'commuter' places like Innsbruck what other sites would I find sharing accommodation in the resorts. Is it doable for 1500?

Thanks in advance, all advice welcome!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 941 ✭✭✭AlternateID

Accommodation isn't cheap at all. Winter is when they make their money and they know how to do it. I did 5 weeks last season. 1 in Soll in a pension and 4 in Mayrhofen in an apartment. 2 of us rented it for the 4 weeks. I had a snowcard for the season. This year we are looking at 2 weeks in Ischgl from the 23rd of Jan and have already booked a pension in Mayrhofen for another 2 weeks in March. Price of the snowcard would save us about 1 week in lift passes and of course leaves the season open if we go again. Finances permitting.

Shared accommodation is your best option as there'd be cooking facilities but it still won't be cheap. Have a look on seasonaires groups on facebook for people with space.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭stevire

Looking to get the snowcard and could potentially look at holding off on the four weeks until March but Feb would work out better for me. Accommodation is the only barrier at the mo, Innsbruck is coming in around 500e for a shared room which seems decent. Would like to have slopes at the door, even in a smaller resort like St.Johann or Soll but beggars can't be choosers!

I'll deffo check out the seasonaires group, thanks for all the advice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭a148pro

I've always found austria incredibly cheap outside the main resorts. Tiscover is a good website.

Nice one, I'll check out Tiscover.

There are 3 B&B's from the Tourism office coming in at 800e for a B&B. All are 10 minutes outside Mayrhofen on skibus

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭a148pro

Mayrhofen and ischgl will both be expensive because they're two of the nicest resorts. There are buckets of other resorts in austria though and many will never have been heard of by irish people. For instance you can stay in galtur up the road from ischgl for a fraction of the price. Similarly kaltenbach and hochfugen in the same valley as mayrhofen are likely a lot cheaper. All of these would have considerably less atmosphere or convenience than the actual resorts.

There was a thread on snow heads where a lad a spent a month or two skiing through the less well known resorts in austria. Would be a good find if you could dig it up. All manner of places that wouldn't come across our consciousness.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

I was in Bad Hofgastein a few years ago, not unknown but not one that comes up often. There is some great skiing in the Gastein valley.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,592 ✭✭✭prunudo

That sounds like a good deal for Mayrhofen. The fact that you have the whole zillertal valley to explore would be certainly use up some of your 4 weeks but would you get bored after week 2.
    I have always found Mayrhofen to be quite reasonable price wise especially the further you get from away the main town centre.
    If you got a B&B near the train line then it could be a great base.

a148pro wrote: »
    Mayrhofen and ischgl will both be expensive because they're two of the nicest resorts. There are buckets of other resorts in austria though and many will never have been heard of by irish people. For instance you can stay in galtur up the road from ischgl for a fraction of the price. Similarly kaltenbach and hochfugen in the same valley as mayrhofen are likely a lot cheaper. All of these would have considerably less atmosphere or convenience than the actual resorts.

There was a thread on snow heads where a lad a spent a month or two skiing through the less well known resorts in austria. Would be a good find if you could dig it up. All manner of places that wouldn't come across our consciousness.

Will definitely search for that thread on SnowHeads, thanks! I've accommodation sorted for the week in Ischgl and the week in Mayrhofen, but for the four weeks in between I'll be checking out the smaller villages for a good deal anywhere in the Tirol region.
    Rew wrote: »
    I was in Bad Hofgastein a few years ago, not unknown but not one that comes up often. There is some great skiing in the Gastein valley.

Thanks for the heads up but sadly the Snow Card doesn't cover the salzburg region, I've 6 weeks in total so the cheapest way is the Snow Card route I think.
    jvan wrote: »
    That sounds like a good deal for Mayrhofen. The fact that you have the whole zillertal valley to explore would be certainly use up some of your 4 weeks but would you get bored after week 2.
    I have always found Mayrhofen to be quite reasonable price wise especially the further you get from away the main town centre.
    If you got a B&B near the train line then it could be a great base.

Not sure about the boredom, but I'm willing to pay a little extra to have wifi in the B&B and I've a good bit of my own work to keep me busy in the evenings! Along with friends visiting on one or two of the weekends. Will check out the train line - is any of the train covered by ski pass?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,592 ✭✭✭prunudo

The zillertalbahn which links mayrhofen to Zell am Ziller and the other resorts is covered by the pass, so are the buses that link Mayrhofen to Hintertux and to the villages of Hippach and Ramsau. Not sure how much further down the valley the buses go.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lbj666

I am now thinking about some thing similar could have a bit more time off work that i though. Have a week booked in les arcs in feb (which is already costing a bit) but i am now thinking of calling to mates in zillertal valley and turning it in to a trans europe alpine adventure of 3 -3.5 weeks (with plenty rest days)

How the hell i manage costs i have no idea.

• Advertisement

Rest days? You've been resting for most of the year.

Rest days? You've been resting for most of the year.

Well judge by how my legs are after 6 days in a row, i think they might be in order.

lbj666 wrote: »
    Well judge by how my legs are after 6 days in a row, i think they might be in order.

It's all technique my friend and pacing yourself.

It's all technique my friend and pacing yourself.

Think its the pacing thats been the issue :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭sheesh

will you be bringing your car? if you have a car you could just stay away from the centre of resorts and just drive in.

sheesh wrote: »
    will you be bringing your car? if you have a car you could just stay away from the centre of resorts and just drive in.

Won't be bringing a car this time round, planning on it for the 16/17 season though :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

I stayed in Melbourne which was great and the Mt Bulla isn't far away for skiing. Don't know much about Sydney though but I di know there is skiing there in the blue mountans I believe...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

DellyBelly wrote: »
    I stayed in Melbourne which was great and the Mt Bulla isn't far away for skiing. Don't know much about Sydney though but I di know there is skiing there in the blue mountans I believe...

AUS...TRIA... :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

ooops Sorry about that. Only glanced at the title...

DellyBelly wrote: »
    ooops Sorry about that. Only glanced at the title...

Parliament-haus_der_Austria.png

• Advertisement
Advertisement