Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Funniest Comedy

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭Daffodil.d

intermission. black comedy but a classic.I always find people haven't ever heard of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

Frynge wrote: »
    My cousin vinyl has to be up there.
    Is that the hipster remake?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Mizu_Ger

Midnight Run
    Trading Places
    Dirty Rotten Scoundrels

All the above are great. Midnight Run is frequently hilarious no matter how many times you watch it.

I remember "Le Diner de Cons" being very funny, but haven't seen it for ages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

There's an early Woody Allen movie called "Take the Money and Run" about the world's most inept career criminal. It's packed with a stream of very funny gags and is well worth searching out. If you've ever wondered what it would be like to play a cello in a marching band, or how to bust back into prison when your fellow escapees have called off the escape attempt and forgotten to tell you, this is the movie for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭shazzerman

check_six wrote: »
    There's an early Woody Allen movie called "Take the Money and Run" about the world's most inept career criminal. It's packed with a stream of very funny gags and is well worth searching out. If you've ever wondered what it would be like to play a cello in a marching band, or how to bust back into prison when your fellow escapees have called off the escape attempt and forgotten to tell you, this is the movie for you.

Also tells you that you better have a handle on the weather if you make a fake gun out of soap. Oh, and have legible handwriting if you want to hold up a bank with a note.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭TinCool

Personal favourite comedies in no particular order as they're all brilliant for different reasons.

1. Planes, Trains and Automobiles (pinnacle of Candy's and Martin's careers if you ask me). This really is a fantastic movie with no let up and a classic Hughes feel good ending.
    2. Blazing Saddles - hilarious.
    3. Airplane - I never laughed so much watching this as a child. Still do now.
    4. Ferris Bueller's Day Off - another classic John Hughes movie
    5. Dirty Rotten Scoundrels

That is all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 836 ✭✭✭fruvai

This is Spinal Tap - Improvisational genius
    Harold & Maude - Delightfully twisted coming-of-age/black comedy
    The Hudsucker Proxy - A Coen Brothers tribute to the classic 30s/40s screwball comedies (incredibly underrated)
    The Graduate - Great soundtrack,direction,acting peppered with hilarious moments
    The Big Lebowski - Slacker comedy at its finest (seems to be a love it/hate it film)
    M*A*S*H - Irreverent and bawdy (Classic Altman)
    Four Lions - Rubber dingy rapids bro (Chris Morris is fearless)
    Playtime - Intelligent,warm & witty (IMO it has one of the best scenes in the history of cinema)
    Being There - The conceit is genius; brilliant writing,direction,performances

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,483 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Friday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

TinCool wrote: »
    Personal favourite comedies in no particular order as they're all brilliant for different reasons.

1. Planes, Trains and Automobiles (pinnacle of Candy's and Martin's careers if you ask me). This really is a fantastic movie with no let up and a classic Hughes feel good ending.
    2. Blazing Saddles - hilarious.
    3. Airplane - I never laughed so much watching this as a child. Still do now.
    4. Ferris Bueller's Day Off - another classic John Hughes movie
    5. Dirty Rotten Scoundrels

That is all.

One of my favourites as well.I only watched it for the first time earlier this year but Michael Caine performance was incredible he should have been at least nominated for an Oscar for it.The scene where he whips Steve Martin is one of the funniest scenes of all time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

I still don't think I have had more enjoyable experience then the time I saw Borat in the cinema. It was nearing the end of its run and I wasn't a fan of Ali G so I had no interest in seeing the film but a couple of people hadn't seen it also and asked me along and so said I'd go.

I don't know was it the group I was with or just I'm in the perfect mode for it but I was literally sore from laughing. "The running of the Jew" had tears down my face and I missed large parts of the rest of the film just from thinking of that and laughing again. I think 95% of the gags landed with me easily. I watched once after that again with people who hadn't seen it and enjoyed it again because I had missed some jokes first time around.

I was disappointed with Bruno although funny in places.

Now that I think of it Team America was also brilliant I'm a massive South Park fan so it was right up my street.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Lebowski! Every scene a classic.

Otherwise, Life of Brian, and *cough* Caddyshack...

Love Ferris Bueller, but not a comedy but a fun, classic, teen feelgood movie I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭tastyt

I think home alone is a great laugh at Christmas, if only for the brilliance of the two burglars Harry and Marv.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,661 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Oh man, favourite comedies... What a can of worms.

Here's a few I could commend, bearing in mind that no single other genre in films places such emphasis on taste and subjectivity:

Slapshot - I've had many a tough time trying to convince people to watch this. Yeah, it's about ice-hockey. But it's hillarious. I wasn't overly blown away the first time I saw it. Not that I didn't recognise that it was funny, more that I was expecting a little bit more, given the films reputation. Thankfully I have seen it a few times since, and I have to say it has one of the most if not the most defining characteristics of a great comedy: the more you see it, the funnier it gets. So many lines that flew by the first time, have me in stitches everytime now. Loads of vivid supporting characters and it has a warmly cynical, foul-mouthed and scuzzy heart. You'll grow to love it.

Airplane - Must have seen this one over fifty times and it still cracks me up. I remember seeing it for the first time as a kid and being amazed. I hadn't realised movies could be as downright silly as this. I remember the scene with the nun knocking the kids drip-feed out and thinking, "wow, I've hit gold here!". Wall to wall silliness that works. I also think Airplane 2 is nearly as good. It's a shameless retread, but who cares when the laughs are coming thick and fast.Like this moment of genius -
    "I pulled Ted Striker's record, sir."
    "How is it?"
    "I don't think you're gonna like it, sir."
    (pulls out "Ted Striker's Polka Hits")
    "That's worse than I thought..."

My Cousin Vinny - Caught this late on TV one night. I wasn't expecting much. I enjoyed it immensely. The fish out of water comedy is extremely well done and, as broad as it is, I find Joe Pesci and Marisa Tomei being as Joisey as possible to be endearing as hell. And I've read in quite a few places that it's supposedly a pretty accurate depiction of how the law really works. That makes me happy - funny and educational.

A few more for good measure-

Dumb and Dumber - Still stupidly hillarious. The sequel, however, is just plain stupid and about as funny as a mid 90's RTE sitcom.

Waynes World 1 and 2 - Most right thinking people hate Mike Myers now. I do anyway. I think a lot of it has to do with the fact that he clearly had a touch of inspiration to what he did, back when he worked on these movies. Basically extended skits, that have dated in places, but are still filled with glorious lunacy. Also very charming, charm is important in comedy.

Ghostbusters - Bill Murray at his best. Contains the best answer to a question in movie history.

Borat - You don't hear people talk about it that much any more, but it made a lot of us laugh back in 06.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭jonon9

Alpha Papa is worth a mention I had doubts for Steve Coogan on this movie but I was proving wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭Lights On

Airplane, every time I watch it I think it's not going to be as funny as the last time and everytime I'm wrong. Makes me laugh even harder the more times I see it.

As far as new movies go I think Observe And Report gets seriously overlooked, I wasn't the biggest fan of it when I saw it first in the cinema, but after watching it again it became one of the funniest movies I've ever seen, dark comedy done perfectly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Some favourites of mine:

Step Brothers
    Anchorman
    Team America
    Naked Gun films (3 in particular)
    The Room (not technically a comedy, but had me laughing as much as any other film)
    Get Him to the Greek (hugely underrated)
    Knocked Up

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭vidor

Arghus wrote: »
    Loads of vivid supporting characters and it has a warmly cynical, foul-mouthed and scuzzy heart. You'll grow to love it.

94d4e927180c05804486c837a6b18c59.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,155 ✭✭✭OldRio

Comedy ? Very subjective but here goes

'Its a mad mad mad mad World.' I just loved this when I was a young buck. The frantic pace and craziness of it.

'Annie Hall' La dee da. True story...I took a girl to see this. She originally thought it was going to be a western? Then at the end of the film she said it was rubbish.
    The relationship did not last.

'Animal House' Pure and utter genius. I have honestly never laughed as much in a cinema. I recommended this film to my youngest son who is 23. He phoned me back the day after he watched it. 'Brilliant just brilliant' was the view. Not bad for a film I first viewed in 1978.

'Ferris Buellers day off' Different style of film at the time. Good teen movie. Two beautiful things to lust after. The Ferrari and Mia Sara (sigh)

'Life of Brian' As a big fan of the pythons this was just genius.

I have probably missed a few but some lovely memorys in that lot. Fun thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭MPFGLB

I have to agree that Annie Hall is a masterpiece...I am a massive fanny of Woody Allen and this together with Hannah & her sisters are his best...but his is a gentle humour

also on my list are

Dirty Rotten Scoundrels
    Midnight Run
    Groundhog Day
    Fargo
    Raising Arizona (& most Cohen Brothers comedies)
    Harold & Maude
    Harvey
    Destry rides again (fan of Jimmy Stewart)
    Educating Rita
    Alfie (and Michael Caine)
    Ruthless People
    Clerks
    A Fish called Wanda
    Clockwise (most things with John Cleese)
    Trading Places
    Bowfinger (Eddy Murphy & Steve Martin)
    Planes, Trains & Automobiles
    Some Like it Hot
    Front Page
    The Odd Couple (jack Lemmon & Walter Matthew)
    A Private function
    Whitnail & I
    This is Spinal Tap
    Best in Show
    Lady Killers (with Alec Guinness & Peter Sellers)
    Kind Hearts and Coronets
    I'm All Right Jack

And more recently
    In Bruges
    The Hangover
    Tropic Thunder
    Bridesmaids

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭bogmanfan

While Some Like It Hot is just perfect from start to finish, Planes, Trains and Automobiles is the funniest movie I've ever seen. Must have watched it 20 times, but every time it's just fantastic. Honorable mentions for Best In Show, Meet The Parents, Take The Money And Run, Back To The Future and Bowfinger.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

withnail
    brian
    wanda
    trading places
    and from the left field this millennium ; horrible bosses is very funny
    the likes of planes and airplane! always left me cold

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,308 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I recently watched Vacation, the spiritual successor to National Lampoons Vacation, and it was the funniest film i've seen in a long while. It's probably because i wasn't expecting much, but the inclusion of the foul mouthed young lad was excellent, he had some of the best moments in the film.

Didn't see it mentioned, but i was in tears with The Heat, Melissa McCarthy and Sandra Bullock are excellent together.

Horrible Bosses was very good, but ruined by that high pitched tw@, i hate his face and voice!

I like Annie Hall but I'd barely consider it a comedy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,212 ✭✭✭shamrock55

The man who knew too little with bill murray:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,103 ✭✭✭joeguevara

Oh I forgot another one 'What about Bob' was/is a classic...baby steps!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭DyldeBrill

My Cousin Vinny has my favourite joke of all time in it.

Don't think it's hard to work out which bit.

Saw this thread and you've got here before me. My cousin Vinny makes me laugh every time, and I've seen it umpteen times.

Midnight Run is also a classic comedy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

The Big Lebowski, the only comedy that I can laugh just thinking about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭bazza1

The Birdcage.....Robin Williams and Nathan Lane crack me up every time!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 935 ✭✭✭Whitewinged

bazza1 wrote: »
    The Birdcage.....Robin Williams and Nathan Lane crack me up every time!

It's so funny. I love the John Wayne walk scene. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

DyldeBrill wrote: »
    Saw this thread and you've got here before me. My cousin Vinny makes me laugh every time, and I've seen it umpteen times.

Midnight Run is also a classic comedy!

Midnight Run is a great film.I only saw it for the first time last year but it's one of my favourites. Both lead performances are just perfect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭MPFGLB

Midnight Run is a great film.I only saw it for the first time last year but it's one of my favourites. Both lead performances are just perfect.

Yes...Midnight run is so so good with a fantastic ensemble cast (including Agent Mosley :D)

I feel the same about Raising Arizona also a favourite with some great lines including

"You're young and you got your health, what you want with a job?"

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭mckar

Death at a funeral
    Anchor man
    Old school
    Ride along
    The hangover
    Super bad
    Happy Gilmore
    hot fuzz
    40 year old virgin
    Harold & kumar