Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which home security system to go with.

Options
  • 18-11-2015 9:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭

Hi,

I want to put an alarm that can be monitored into my house that I just purchased I and am looking for suggestions as to what I should do with the following situation.

There is an alarm in the house currently but its at least 15/20 years old and I don't know the make of it. All the windows both upstairs and downstairs are wired with shock sensors, the motion and door sensors are wired as well. The local security company said they would just install a new wireless system and not touch the old one.
    5 downstairs windows and 2 doors.

I have a few questions. Is it worth putting in a wired system or is everything wireless now a days? Seems a shame to not use the wires but maybe they are redundant now.

Option 1.
    Phonewatch installation is about €600 and the €35 a month monitoring charge. Wireless. Door and motion sensors. No window shock sensors.

Option 2.
    Local security firm charging €950 with €23 a month service charge. RISCO Agility Wireless. This includes door, motion and window shock sensors.

Option 3.
    Install a system myself. Is it possible to get a company to take on the monitoring of a self installed system?

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

I'm mobile at the moment so excuse the short answers. I'll come back to you with more if you need more details.
    Wired is preferable if it's in good nick and tidy.
    Go with the local company it will save you money in the long run.
    The phonewatch system is tied to them for good for both monitoring and maintenance. You will never have the ability to shop around for better value. With any other system you will always have that freedom.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭johnjohn3423

Thanks, the local company said they would put in a wireless system and didn't give any thought when I said about the existing system was already wired up. Is this what they normally do in a situation like that?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

As an installer I would look at the wiring that's there. If I'm happy with it that would be preferable. While wireless works well and does the job, device for device it is more expensive, so on the same price you will get less coverage.
    What I have also found of late is that there is a whole new breed of installer that has come into the industry who know nothing else but wireless.
    As alway my advice is shop around and get a few companies to call out and access the property and what's there. You will soon find what's best for you.

Advertisement