Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moycullen or Oughterard

Options
  • 18-11-2015 9:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

Hi there
    We are looking to move out of Knocknacarra to either Moycullen or Oughtarard. Can anyone offer any pros and cons for either. I have read a few mixed reviews re Oughtarard which worry me slightly. We are originally from Canada so will not know anyone. We have three kids; ages 9 and 11. I would be really interested to hear your opinions.

If you could suggest any other places to live also, we are very open to suggestions. We chose those two areas as we liked the look of them and they are relatively close to my mum in
    Knocknacarra. Barna is lovely but out of our price range as we would like something with an acre and a workshop of some sort.

Many thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Moycullen is closer to town.

Oughterard is a nicer looking place, but I prefer the vibe in Moycullen personally.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Both Moycullen and Oughterard are good for families. Oughterard can be a bit of a trek in the mornings as it's twice as far from the city, so if you both work in city it can be a bit of a commute.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭GalwayGrrrrrl

Which secondary school will your 11 year old go to? Oughterard is a fair trek into Galway City if you have to bring a child to school every day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭tphase

biko wrote: »
    Both Moycullen and Oughterard are good for families. Oughterard can be a bit of a trek in the mornings as it's twice as far from the city, so if you both work in city it can be a bit of a commute.

Oughterard to Moycullen is usually OK in the morning but from Moycullen to Galway is a pain and vice versa in the evening. It helps if you can avoid rush hour although the roadworks means there's always a hold-up in Moycullen

Oughterard is full of blow-ins so you'll have plenty of kindred spirits...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,816 ✭✭✭Baggy Trousers

Both are nice towns. Oughterard went downhill a few years ago but seems to be recovering well.

Loads of sporting clubs available in both.

Moycullen is probably best because it's closer to town.

I believe there will is a Moycullen bypass planned which should help the traffic situation.

• Advertisement
Advertisement