Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Locked keys inside apartment - landlord no spare

• 18-11-2015 11:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭

So basically locked my keys inside an one bed apartment in an converted house. My "landlord" has no spare key for the apartment, only for the front door which he said he will give to me tomorrow and basically said its my problem to get back in. This landlord basically looks after numerous properties around Dublin and doesn't own any of them.

Basically need to know if I call a locksmith will he let me in or do I need some documentation?
    I want to get this out of the way as early as possible and work have kindly given time off if needed at any stage tomorrow to meet him.

Should it be the landlord paying for the lock? Most sites quote 70 euro including call out.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,615 ✭✭✭worded

Basically if they can pick the lock you will have your keys back when the door is open.

ID - if you have a licence ID that could be enough, ask the lock smiths.

Phone one ASAP or you will be paying after hours fees ?
    It's 10 PM now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

ponzook wrote: »
    Should it be the landlord paying for the lock? Most sites quote 70 euro including call out.

Did the landlord lock your keys inside the house?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭pablo128

Go onto you tube and look at 'how to open a door with a soda bottle'. I've used that method a few times.

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭brandnewaward

last time it happened to me, the guy asked me to quickly describe the living room to prove it was actually my place. sickened me because it took him about ten seconds to jimmy the lock with some type of gun and i had to hand over 120$

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭ponzook

Did the landlord lock your keys inside the house?

No haha. Thought they were meant to always have a spare set but I'm obviously wrong!!! Don't mind paying the money.

Im staying in a friends 2nite. I have my license and passport so hopefully that will suffice for locksmiths but have different addresses on them in a different county.

Probably shouldnt have bothered creating a thread but cheers for the comments everyone!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,741 ✭✭✭✭ted1

So basically locked my keys inside an one bed apartment in an converted house. My "landlord" has no spare key for the apartment, only for the front door which he said he will give to me tomorrow and basically said its my problem to get back in. This landlord basically looks after numerous properties around Dublin and doesn't own any of them.

Basically need to know if I call a locksmith will he let me in or do I need some documentation?
    I want to get this out of the way as early as possible and work have kindly given time off if needed at any stage tomorrow to meet him.

Why would a landlord pay for your negligence ?

ted1 wrote: »
    Why would a landlord pay for your negligence ?

Yep he shouldn't. Don't mind paying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Fiskar

So many people these days want their hands held. Take some responsibility yourself, leave your landlord alone and get the locksmith yourself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭massy086

No haha. Thought they were meant to always have a spare set but I'm obviously wrong!!! Don't mind paying the money.

Im staying in a friends 2nite. I have my license and passport so hopefully that will suffice for locksmiths but have different addresses on them in a different county.

Probably shouldnt have bothered creating a thread but cheers for the comments everyone!
    Hi i am a locksmith When this happens witch is about 3-4 times a week. a drivers licence is always enough proof. If you need any help op send me a pm and i can try help

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭Arbiter of Good Taste

Fiskar wrote: »
    So many people these days want their hands held. Take some responsibility yourself, leave your landlord alone and get the locksmith yourself.

In fairness to the OP, it's ridiculous that the LL doesn't hold a spare set. What if he needs to enter the property in an emergency? What if the tenants move out and forget to return the key?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,311 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Fiskar wrote: »
    The OP has no proof that he lives there. The landlord could get a locksmith that he uses to have the door opened for a fee.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,142 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

In fairness to the OP, it's ridiculous that the LL doesn't hold a spare set. What if he needs to enter the property in an emergency? What if the tenants move out and forget to return the key?

I'm sure that the LL does actually have a spare set.

But why should s/he have to go to the bother of travelling to the apartment to unlock it (he's probably got better thing to be doing), or hand them over to the tenant - after which they'll probably not get returned to the LL in a timely manner.

Your LL is not your mammy.

But why should s/he have to go to the bother of travelling to the apartment to unlock it (he's probably got better thing to be doing), or hand them over to the tenant - after which they'll probably not get returned to the LL in a timely manner.

Ah come on. It's part and parcel of being a landlord - I'm a landlord, I know. It's comments like these that make tenants think that rental properties are money trees and play into the "greedy landlord" myth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 710 ✭✭✭MrMorooka

Yeah, ideally the LL should have a key, and while not ideal, to be able to travel out to let a tenant in.

I was in a similar situation, locked myself out. My landlord was gracious enough to come out and let me in, I was very grateful and apologetic, and then the next day I got some spares cut and gave them to family so I would never have to bother him again.

For OP, just get the locksmith out, then get a spare cut and give it to your parents or something, Live and learn.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,521 ✭✭✭✭Victor

massy086 wrote: »
    If you need any help op send me a pm and i can try help
    Folks, we have no idea who this random person on the internet is.

Take any such offers with a grain of sand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,159 ✭✭✭frag420

Victor wrote: »

I prefer a grain of salt myself......

Yep, I know the Landlord is not my mammy. I actually know he lives very close by and said on the phone to him if you available in the next couple of days to let me in to get my keys that would be good. It's common courtesy like and been nice is a trait I like in people which you obviously seem like you don't have going by the above post.

Anyway end of the story is the landlord called me back and gave me the number of someone living there to let me in the front door. Also asked would I get a keys cut for him for the front door and one for my room. Locksmith charged 70 euro and he knocked that off the following weeks rent. You see there is good in people and going out of your way to help people is a good trait to have instead of letting people suffer!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭massy086

Victor wrote: »

Well if you look trough my posts I have helped many on the site. And last time I checked a good guy :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,191 ✭✭✭Eugene Norman

Yep, I know the Landlord is not my mammy. I actually know he lives very close by and said on the phone to him if you available in the next couple of days to let me in to get my keys that would be good. It's common courtesy like and been nice is a trait I like in people which you obviously seem like you don't have going by the above post.

Anyway end of the story is the landlord called me back and gave me the number of someone living there to let me in the front door. Also asked would I get a keys cut for him for the front door and one for my room. Locksmith charged 70 euro and he knocked that off the following weeks rent. You see there is good in people and going out of your way to help people is a good trait to have instead of letting people suffer!

Don't listen to the landlord classes on here. They prefer to see renting out a property as an distant hands off investment where they should be left alone, rather than a service they should provide. A professional landlord should have spare keys, just as a hotel room, a hostel, a short term leased apartment should have, and would have.

Don't listen to the landlord classes on here. They prefer to see renting out a property as an distant hands off investment where they should be left alone, rather than a service they should provide. A professional landlord should have spare keys, just as a hotel room, a hostel, a short term leased apartment should have, and would have.

Thanks for the reply. Talk about high horses. I don't understand how people have that state of mind. I always go out of my way to help people within means, if people are ignorant and rude and only care about themselves personally I would want nothing to do with them. Maybe it's just me and the way I was brought up.

A landlord who couldn't be bothered letting someone into their home because its an "inconvience". Come on like!!

• Advertisement

Would you cop on with "landlord classes" we're not in the 19th century. I am a landlord and I agree completely with the OP's position, as do other landlords on this thread. Why don't you try and lose the chip.

Ah come on. It's part and parcel of being a landlord - I'm a landlord, I know. It's comments like these that make tenants think that rental properties are money trees and play into the "greedy landlord" myth.

If the property was being professionally managed by a property management company, then there would definitely be a call out fee, and as a LL I can assure you that the tenant would be paying it. And that it's likely an office-hours only service.

If the property was being professionally managed by a property management company, then there would definitely be a call out fee, and as a LL I can assure you that the tenant would be paying it. And that it's likely an office-hours only service.

And your point been? Allready said earlier in the thread I didn't mind paying or waiting a few days for the LL to come around . TBH I wouln't like you as a landlord. You seem very bitter or up your own hole or something.

Fine, that's how you manage yours, and I respect that. For me, I would be inclined to overlook a first "offence".

Would you cop on with "landlord classes" we're not in the 19th century. I am a landlord and I agree completely with the OP's position, as do other landlords on this thread. Why don't you try and lose the chip.

The term landlord class means anybody who is a landlord. What chip? <MOD SNIP>

( and I too am an accidental landlord albeit in another country. An agent has my keys).

Call out fee? The management company is there to provide a service to you so you can provide a service to the tenant who you are contracted to rent property too. Which means letting them in if they are stuck outside.

Call out fee? The management company is there to provide a service to you so you can provide a service to the tenant who you are contracted to rent property too. Which means letting them in if they are stuck outside.

Indeed. And they charge for that service. Some of the charges are covered on a % of rent basis, some eg maintenance are pay-per-use. And some are charged back to the tenant, and of course these are spelled out in the tenant's lease.

FYI, the largest landlords in Ireland are local councils and voluntary housing associations. They as a matter of course don't even hold keys to tenanted properties.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭daheff

I think this attitude is appalling. Nobody expects the LL to be your mammy, but a little bit of common decency in helping out the tenant wouldn't go amiss. Maybe the tenant could go to the LL to pick up the key??? Doesn't always have to be the LL that does all the running around

An alternative ending here is that the tenant had to pay a locksmith to change the lock. And doesn't provide the LL with a new spare key. They move out, feel bitter that the landlord wouldn't help and gives the landlord the key to the old lock (after she has gotten it when she got back in). Landlord now has to pay somebody for changing the lock.

If the property was being professionally managed by a property management company, then there would definitely be a call out fee, and as a LL I can assure you that the tenant would be paying it.

And that would be reasonable. I cant see anybody having a reasonable objection to this.

Common sense all round is needed. It would seem from the OPs other comment that the LL genuinely didn't have a spare key and has acted reasonably in asking for a spare and reduced the rent by the cost of the locksmith.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,976 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

daheff wrote: »
    An alternative ending here is that the tenant had to pay a locksmith to change the lock. And doesn't provide the LL with a new spare key. They move out, feel bitter that the landlord wouldn't help and gives the landlord the key to the old lock (after she has gotten it when she got back in). Landlord now has to pay somebody for changing the lock..

I change the locks between every tenancy no matter how good or bad he previous tennant was. It's a very very small cost in the local hardware (€25) and you get new locks, and 3 keys, 2 of which go to the tenant and I keep one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Gazzmonkey

I had a female landlord once before, you can guess where I told her to shove her keys?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Right folks. This thread has run its course

Mod

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement