Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xenoblade Chronicles X

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7 nutsale

I've never played a Xenoblade title but have this on pre-order as my game-to-eat-chocolate-and-drink-lots-of-booze-to-over-christmas choice for 2015...

Decided on this over Fallout 4 because I didn't get on well with Fallout 3 and MGS V because, meh... am I making a mistake having not played the Wii game?

I DEMAND ANSWERS!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,073 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

nutsale wrote: »
    I've never played a Xenoblade title but have this on pre-order as my game-to-eat-chocolate-and-drink-lots-of-booze-to-over-christmas choice for 2015...

Decided on this over Fallout 4 because I didn't get on well with Fallout 3 and MGS V because, meh... am I making a mistake having not played the Wii game?

I DEMAND ANSWERS!

You don't need to have played the first game. The story in this does make a few vague references to the original game but it's not a big deal. I would recommend you play the first game though because for starters it's absolutely brilliant and secondly it would familiarise you with the battle system and you'd see things like Riki and the Nepon.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 nutsale

sligeach wrote: »
    You don't need to have played the first game. The story in this does make a few vague references to the original game but it's not a big deal. I would recommend you play the first game though because for starters it's absolutely brilliant and secondly it would familiarise you with the battle system and you'd see things like Riki and the Nepon.

Ah very good. Not sure I'll get time to play the first one (and it's fairly steep these days) but I might try pick a copy up. Nice to know it's not a requirement for this one.

nutsale wrote: »
    Ah very good. Not sure I'll get time to play the first one (and it's fairly steep these days) but I might try pick a copy up. Nice to know it's not a requirement for this one.

It's available on the eShop for €20 and anyone who purchases it is entitled to a €10 discount on the digital version of X upon release. Otherwise, yes buying the original Chronicles physically is fairly expensive.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,251 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The problem then is the time it takes to play it. 150 hours it took me, without going wild finishing side quests. Absolutely loved it though, it's more about exploring and side quests since that's where the big EXP gains come from but it's got the best system of dealing with side quests I've seen in a game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

On the one hand I need a good game to request for christmas and this looks awesome (although, I have to say, a lot of the digital breasts look very default to me... if only there was some way to vary them...) On the other, I still have Wii Xenoblade and it's red Pro Controller sitting in shrink wrap in a corner of my sitting room. And it'll take me a year to rack up 150 hours of play time if I neglect Mario Maker and Splatoon and Infinity... Does either the eShop version or vWii generally allow the use of the Gamepad controls if the game supports the wii gamepad pro controller?

Holy ****, I just checked it's ebay value. What did we pay in Argos earlier this year, €15? €20? I could finally have my right hand electroplated to finish off my Jaime Lannister cosplay outfit.

Banjo wrote: »
    On the one hand I need a good game to request for christmas and this looks awesome (although, I have to say, a lot of the digital breasts look very default to me... if only there was some way to vary them...) On the other, I still have Wii Xenoblade and it's red Pro Controller sitting in shrink wrap in a corner of my sitting room. And it'll take me a year to rack up 150 hours of play time if I neglect Mario Maker and Splatoon and Infinity... Does either the eShop version or vWii generally allow the use of the Gamepad controls if the game supports the wii gamepad pro controller?

Holy ****, I just checked it's ebay value. What did we pay in Argos earlier this year, €15? €20? I could finally have my right hand electroplated to finish off my Jaime Lannister cosplay outfit.

Yes Xenoblade Chronicles on the eShop works with the Gamepad.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,583 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

They've come down a little from last year's prices, but it's still pretty amazing to see them sell for so much.
    Thinking of shifting mine on there too

• Advertisement

Xenoblade Chronicles X - Primordia in-Depth Exploration (Wii U)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJY0MbmD4cA

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

sligeach wrote: »
    Xenoblade Chronicles X - Primordia in-Depth Exploration (Wii U)

Gameplay looks good. Looking forward to playing it over the Christmas break. Are Argos likely to stock this I wonder?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,583 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

The whole team of four thing, is it not all a bit Phantasy Star Online/ Monster Hunter?
    I mean, the video comparing it to Skyrim and Fallout 4, they are first person real-time adventures, this seems more stilted.

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    The whole team of four thing, is it not all a bit Phantasy Star Online/ Monster Hunter?
    I mean, the video comparing it to Skyrim and Fallout 4, they are first person real-time adventures, this seems more stilted.

What comparison video is that? Not familiar with it. But isn't the important point that this looks to be a decent game, due out very soon, for the Wii-U? Beggars can't be choosers when you're a Wii-U owner.

In fact, buying this game is almost me trying not to forget I own the machine - all my console gaming these days is on PS4 as the Wii-U has been relegated to Skylanders/Lego Dimensions for the kids.

Andrew76 wrote: »
    What comparison video is that? Not familiar with it. But isn't the important point that this looks to be a decent game, due out very soon, for the Wii-U? Beggars can't be choosers when you're a Wii-U owner.

In fact, buying this game is almost me trying not to forget I own the machine - all my console gaming these days is on PS4 as the Wii-U has been relegated to Skylanders/Lego Dimensions for the kids.

Xenoblade Chronicles X: Bigger Than Skyrim, Fallout 4 or Witcher 3

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Qfhg2FJgx8

Ah ok yeah I saw that one - but it's only comparing world sizes not the games themselves so not sure what point Cidey is trying to make. Anyway, hopefully it plays as good as it looks. :)

Yeah, my WiiU has become a console my son plays Super Smash Bros on, I don't really play on it anymore, though I was playing MK8 last night....
    I've barely scratched the surface of Bayonetta 2, Toad Treasure Tracker is one quarter played and Super Mario 3D World is almost done, but where to find the time?
    Bloodborne took over the summer and any time I now have is spent on Arkham Knight!
    I need to focus somewhat, get back into it, at least get through the spectacular Bayonetta 2 to start with.
    Ah ok yeah I saw that one - but it's only comparing world sizes not the games themselves so not sure what point Cidey is trying to make. Anyway, hopefully it plays as good as it looks. :)

I am trying to get an idea if this is the game for me, Xenoblade that is.
    I loved Oblivion and Fallout 3, I like the "western" notion of open world role playing, but the Japanese team of four Phantasy Star Online thing not at all.
    It looks like a team of four running through a massive world doing battle with various sized alien creatures, I can see as a multiplayer exercise it must be great but, single player? How is that going to work?
    I suppose I'll get an idea from you early adopters out there before too long.

I am trying to get an idea if this is the game for me, Xenoblade that is.
    I loved Oblivion and Fallout 3, I like the "western" notion of open world role playing, but the Japanese team of four Phantasy Star Online thing not at all.
    It looks like a team of four running through a massive world doing battle with various sized alien creatures, I can see as a multiplayer exercise it must be great but, single player? How is that going to work?
    I suppose I'll get an idea from you early adopters out there before too long.

I watched this (rather long) video earlier which shows a little of what the game is like. A single player mmo seems to be one description for it, which is fine by me. :) The other members of your team are AI controlled from what I've seen so far (you can choose them but not directly control them) and not really sure what form the multi-player will take.

It looks lovely, combat seems interesting enough, lots of nice gear and of course mechs! The character affinity system sounds interesting too. Other than the new Zelda (assuming it comes out on the Wii-U), this is probably one of the few remaining games I'll buy for the system.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Ace Attorney

watched half an hour of the video, it looks good, but im conflicted wheater to buy or not because, me and chronicles 3ds didnt get on the best. might wait untill after christmas and pick it up. does this have online multiplayer aswell?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

Finding the original tough to come by on the Wii without paying over the odds. Would you guys recommend the 3ds version?

• Advertisement

evad_lhorg wrote: »
    Finding the original tough to come by on the Wii without paying over the odds. Would you guys recommend the 3ds version?

You could buy the Wii version on the eShop and enjoy off TV play on the gamepad. It's one of the few Wii eShop games that has the feature. It's €19.99 by the way.

The special edition is going for around the €100 mark, that is the boxed one for the Wii with the Red controller.

watched half an hour of the video, it looks good, but im conflicted wheater to buy or not because, me and chronicles 3ds didnt get on the best. might wait untill after christmas and pick it up. does this have online multiplayer aswell?

I've not played the 3DS version myself but the Wii version is worth the €20 asking price from the e-shop as sligeach mentions.

Not sure what the online aspect of it will be like Ace. I've actually not played any games online on Wii-U (I know I know, MK8 is supposed to be great online) so as long as the single player is good that'll keep me happy.
    The special edition is going for around the €100 mark, that is the boxed one for the Wii with the Red controller.

I think that version of the game was only €18 in Argos that time? Remember picking up two at the time and passing one on to a regular here.

I think that version of the game was only €18 in Argos that time? Remember picking up two at the time and passing one on to a regular here.

Yeah, I snagged one for that at the time, and sold another.
    The prices have dropped since the release on the Eshop though, which is no bad thing.
    I haven't played it at all, may sell it on.

The optional data packs for the EU version will be available for download tomorrow it seems, a little over 10GB of space needed for all of them, link.
    Basic High-Speed Data Loading Pack - for greatest impact on your experience, download this pack first
    - High impact to load times
    - Installs frequently used data, such as terrain to speed up load times in the city and field.
    - For greater load-time improvement, use in conjunction with one or more of the other data packs below.
    Size: 2011.0 MB

Enemy High-Speed Data Loading Pack - for players who like to explore and fight enemies
    - Medium impact to load times
    - Installs frequently used data in the field, such as enemy data.
    - For greater load-time improvement, use in conjunction with the Basic data pack.
    Size: 2937.5 MB

Player High-Speed Data Loading Pack - for players who like to complete lots of missions
    - Medium impact to load times
    - Installs the data for character graphics and equipment to speed up load times in the city and when you change equipment.
    - For greater load-time improvement, use in conjunction with the Basic data pack
    Size: 3867.1 MB

Skell High-Speed Data Loading Pack - for players who own and like to customize Skells
    - Low impact to load times
    - Installs data for skell graphics to speed up load times in the city and field as well as when loading skell data.
    - For greater load-time improvement, use in conjunction with the Basic data pack
    Size: 1675.1 MB

If you're going with the digital version of the game instead of disc then the e-shop is listing it at 22GB, that's a whopper considering the puny size of the HDD. Only have 15GB free myself but would be going disc version anyway.

I wish they had brought out some data loading packs for Lego City Undercover. It's the one game on Wii U in greatest need of them.

They only just opened the American site for this game today. As the story says they're cutting it fine.

http://gonintendo.com/stories/247745-xenoblade-chronicles-x-full-site-open

http://xenobladechroniclesx.nintendo.com/

God knows if there'll be a European version. This game needs some ads on TV, it deserves them but I'll be amazed if there are any. Haven't seen one for over 18 months.

And I guess at this stage Smyths and Gamestop won't be stocking the Limited Edition. Most of us have our orders with Amazon France anyway.

Yeah that's the only complaint I had about Lego City - the loading times. Thankfully they weren't too bad once you're in game. Fantastic game it is though.

I'm not bothered about a limited edition for Chronicles so will just get it wherever I can on Friday or after.

The download packs are now available on the eShop.

Half way through downloading them. eShop says 15.3GB needed but the actual download management screen shows just over 10GB.

• Advertisement

Reviews so far for Xenoblade Chronicles X.

Nintendo Everything – Thumbs Up
    GameSpot – 8 / 10
    Polygon – 7 / 10
    Nintendo Life – 9 / 10
    Destructoid – 9 / 10
    Nintendo World Report – 9.5 / 10
    Eurogamer – “Essential”
    GamesRadar – 3.5 / 5
    Gamereactor UK – 10 / 10
    XGN - 8.5 / 10
    We Got This Covered - 3.5 / 5
    The Jimquisition - 9 / 10
    God Is A Geek - 9 / 10
    Nintendo Enthusiast - 9.5 / 10
    Game Informer - 7.3 / 10
    IGN Italia - 9.4 / 10
    IGN Spain - 9.2 / 10

I downloaded the packs. It took forever, didn't time it but it must have been close to 2 hours and absolutely crippled the Wii U using any other function during that time.

Currently averaging 84% on Metacritic from 24 reviews.

http://www.metacritic.com/game/wii-u/xenoblade-chronicles-x

Advertisement