Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xenoblade Chronicles X

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Not really ever played an rpg like this, is it easy (the game mechanics) to pick up or would me and my 10 year old be out of our depth?

No, neither of you would be out of your depth. I've only played a few hours of it so far and the combat mechanics are fairly straight forward, quite like an MMO. Select a target and initiate the fight (unless they do first) - your character auto-hits the enemy while you choose which art (attack/heal) to use which has various benefits, wait for cool-downs, position yourself front/side/back of enemy depending on the attack for added damage etc. Now and again a QTE will trigger that will give you some sort of buff or de-buff the target if you time it correctly. It gets more involved when you learn more arts and get more party members but doesn't seem overly complicated from any videos I've seen.

One really simple thing I like is the auto-run, start running by pressing forward on the L-stick then press R+B and you'll keep running until you decide to stop - very handy considering how big the place is. Jumping is fun too.

One last thing - you can zoom the camera in or out from the default by holding down the L button and pushing forward or back on the R-stick.

It looks gorgeous too. Really wish there was a proper screenshot function like the Share button on PS4 (that's not a fault of the game of course).
    sligeach wrote: »
    Buy the Limited Edition for €58 delivered from Amazon France with all the extras like the steel book and art book or be ripped off by Gamestop and buy just the game for €65? Tough decision. Yes I'm aware the Amazon France price has gone up since then but there was ample opportunity to get it before that happened.

No need to be a smart arse. It wasn't available on Amazon.fr for a long while when I was looking - any version. The .co.uk version works out at close to €55 so a tenner cheaper but you'd still be waiting on it (which might be fine for some). I'm quite happy to pay an extra tenner when I went looking to have the game in my hand immediately - not waiting for it to be delivered and not having to go looking for shops that stock it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Ace Attorney

How is the game for everyone that got it? im waiting for mine to arrive this week, how are the loading times etc?

How is the game for everyone that got it? im waiting for mine to arrive this week, how are the loading times etc?

I'm enjoying it so far, only up to level 10. Decided to go with the Outfitters division thinking it might get me access to better weapons/gear later on, not sure how accurate that is though. Also chose the Enforcer class, will see how that pans out. There's not that many loading times and they're fairly fast when they do appear - never when you're running around out in the field.

One little niggle I have is the music - unless I'm blind I can't see anyway of lowering it down or turning off - sometimes it can be a little loud during some cut scenes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

If anyone is interested, the XCX guide is €20 if using parcel motel from Amazon at the moment.

It's out of stock right now but will no doubt be back in stock soon and back up to £20 or whatever it was.

Heres the link http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/0744016738/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?qid=1449492111&sr=8-3&pi=SY200_QL40&keywords=xenoblade+chronicles+x&dpPl=1&dpID=51KqvuJU8AL&ref=plSrch

Think it will be nice to have.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,251 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Andrew76 wrote: »
    One little niggle I have is the music - unless I'm blind I can't see anyway of lowering it down or turning off - sometimes it can be a little loud during some cut scenes.

Blasphemy, Hiroyuki Sawano soundtracks should be blasted out as loud as possible, preferably while screaming out the engrish lyrics.

• Advertisement

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Blasphemy, Hiroyuki Sawano soundtracks should be blasted out as loud as possible, preferably while screaming out the engrish lyrics.

The title music is lovely as are most of the tunes - not mad on the hip-hop stuff in NLA though. But regardless of personal taste, it shouldn't interfere with hearing dialogue in the cutscenes. :)

Here's some handy tips for anyone just starting out (looks like I needn't have worried over choosing a Division) - http://www.gamesradar.com/things-i-wish-i-knew-i-started-xenoblade-chronicles-x/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭Memnoch

I decided to download the previous version which was for the Wii and play it on the Wii U. Such a fun game so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

Finally my copy just arrived from gameseek in work here. Took 10 full days to get here!

And the guide from Amazon just got posted today.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Wolverine359

Finally my copy just arrived from gameseek in work here. Took 10 full days to get here!

And the guide from Amazon just got posted today.

Yup my copy arrived today too, happy days! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,073 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

My LE copy arrived today as well. I ordered through Amazon France but I think it came from the UK as that's where the return address is for. And it was only sent on the 8th December. As I've said before I'm in no rush as I'm saving it for Christmas.

Edit: Actually on closer inspection they may have sent it to the UK first and then onto here as there's another covered up label underneath. Well packed and in good nick. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Wolverine359

sligeach wrote: »
    My LE copy arrived today as well. I ordered through Amazon France but I think it came from the UK as that's where the return address is for. And it was only sent on the 8th December. As I've said before I'm in no rush as I'm saving it for Christmas.

Edit: Actually on closer inspection they may have sent it to the UK first and then onto here as there's another covered up label underneath. Well packed and in good nick. :)

The steelbook is so nice isn't it!! :) Really glad we got that over here instead of the usb stick, although that's nice to have too.

The steelbook is so nice isn't it!! :) Really glad we got that over here instead of the usb stick, although that's nice to have too.

I do wish we got the USB stick drive but I see now it's a right pain in the @rse and not functional at all unless you modify it.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2015/12/guide_heres_how_to_make_that_xenoblade_chronicles_x_usb_drive_more_useful

Wasn't going to open up the box at all and keep everything until Christmas, I thought what's the harm in looking inside? I'd seen unboxing videos and it looked nice. But hot diggity dog you need to see this steelbook in the flesh, it's gorgeous. The colours have a real pop and shine to them. Extremely happy with that. €58 well spent and all the other nice extras too. Real quality.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,160 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Didn't realise this was out. Thought it was next year. Guess it's time to buy a WiiU :)

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭GreyAlien

My package from Amazon France arrived today. Packaging and outer box of game looked fine, as did the actual game box itself. Sadly the steelbook was crushed and dented. Looks like I'll have to return it and hope I can get a replacement. :(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,583 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I might just pick this up, I have the previous, limited edition, game for sale on Adverts and prolly use the fundage to buy the standard edition of the game.
    If it turns out to be sh1te I'll hunt down and kill you all!

how are ye all getting on with this? im liking it more after figuring out the combat a bit better.

I'm saving it for Christmas.

Im as far as the end of chapter 5.... It blew mind! In a good way!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,583 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Im as far as the end of chapter 5.... It blew mind! In a good way!!

Is it all those frenetic party battles against monsters?

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Is it all those frenetic party battles against monsters?

was a little drunk when i posted that, but i meant the story plot, its really good :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,251 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

It's like the dark souls of RPGs. Really you need to look up a lot online and read the manual because there is a lot that isn't explained.

As for the game, it's a pity it came out so late in the year because it's a contender for the best RPG and game of the year. Can't say much about the story since I'm not that far in it but I'm just totally addicted to exploring and the battle system is excellent. It's a game that lives on the gameplay systems and they are rock solid.

Just picked this up, fingers crossed I'll post it soon and I won't suck at it when I do!

Just picked this up, fingers crossed I'll post it soon and I won't suck at it when I do!

You sure you have the 200 hours required to play it?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

You sure you have the 200 hours required to play it?

Is it really a 200hour game?

Or is that for all the side quests etc etc.

Is it worth buying if you're willing to give it 50-100hours?

I'm not getting this at the moment as I've loads of other games going on but just curious.

Edit.. howlongtobeat.com

63 hours main game
    92 hours main and extra
    240 hours completionist

Option 1 sounds good to me. ... at some point

Well I'm having a lot more fun doing the side quests and affinity quests so I'm ignoring the story for the most part. Exploring in the game is the most fun. You have to keep on top of side and affinity quests because most story quests have requirements on level and some side quests to be completed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

Well I'm having a lot more fun doing the side quests and affinity quests so I'm ignoring the story for the most part. Exploring in the game is the most fun. You have to keep on top of side and affinity quests because most story quests have requirements on level and some side quests to be completed.

Ah yeah i get what you're saying but I'd say if you put 100 hours in it'd be worth it. Main story some side quest etc and if you're still enjoying it keep going I suppose.

Destiny is the first game ever for me to reach over 200 hours played. Nothing else has ever kept my attention that long.

Mario maker is my current addiction though 45 hours in and loving it.

I want to go back to dark souls but I can't stop playing Mario maker with the few hours here and there I get to game.

Being time poor is crap.

Same for me, it's worse when you are into long RPGs. I want to go back to the PS1 days when people stupidly complained about games being 8 hours long!

I'd say this one is very like the first Xenoblade which took me 120 hours but I didn't really focus on side quests and just went exploring.

I don't have anything like 200 hours :eek:

And with Elite Dangerous demanding multiple hours as it is just to gain some experience, it may be some time before I get through the masses of content Xenoblade Chronicles X has to offer.
    And, I've the original yet to play.
    Tell me this though, is the original Xenoblade Chronicles best played on Wii or N3DS?

Wow, Edge gave it 7/10, they complemented a lot but didn't appreciate changes in the combat from the previous title.
    They also felt it was filled with "glacial" levelling up through grinding :(

• Advertisement

Wow, Edge gave it 7/10, they complemented a lot but didn't appreciate changes in the combat from the previous title.
    They also felt it was filled with "glacial" levelling up through grinding :(

The combat seems pretty much the same to me. As for the levelling up, well that's the whole point of the game. It was a problem with the original game, you couldn't just do story missions and blaze through the game. However just running around exploring was the main meat if the game and the side mission system is excellent, you'll complete them naturally and level up as you explore.

Fair points though but it kind of cones off as the review trying to get through it as fast as possible for review, not really the best way to play the game.

Advertisement