Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Visa Debit Transactions Disappear & Reappear on Banking365

Options
  • 19-11-2015 10:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭

I've noticed this for a while on Banking365 online and it has bugged me:

I would do a Visa Debit transaction in a retailer and my current a/c balance would decrease immediatly and I would see a transaction record for that amount (at this stage, I don't believe the transaction record has the merchant name, but that's OK).

Then within a few days, the record disappears from my list of transactions, and the bank balance increases as if I never did the transaction. This new balance is false because is doesn't take into account the missing transaction.

Then a few days later, it reappears again and the bank balance decreases again to the correct balance.

This only happens on a small number of transactions but it makes tracking my spending/balance difficult if I can't always rely on the balance figure shown to me online.

I understand there is a "pre-authorisation" stage involved in such transactions, but I would presume once the record of the transaction appears in my account, it would stay there, and not disappear and reappear.

If you could shed any light on what is happening here, I would appreciate it.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Evie

Hi SimonTemplar,

This would be due to the way in which the payments are processed by the retailer, it can sometimes show, disappear temporarily and even duplicate. Apologies for the inconvenience, we would suggest being vigilant as you have done, and keeping an eye on your balance using your 365 Online. 

We will also note your comments for feedback. 

Thanks, 
    Evie 

• Registered Users Posts: 7,415 ✭✭✭Tow

The Visa Debit card system is not fit for purpose. Again, it was just jury rigged on to their legacy system. Buying items in a foreign currency using the card is a even bigger mess. The initial debit converted to euro appears for a few days with the company name, then it vanishes to reappear 4/5 days later broken down into two transactions, giving the exchange rate and an additional charge, nether of which tell you who or what the payment was for.

For example:

18/11/2015  P1411US 2.06@1.06735 1.93
    18/11/2015 POS CHG USD 2 0.04

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,889 ✭✭✭kooga

has caught me out a few times as well, and this from the bank whose great leader Richie boucher wants us to move to a cashless banking!

kooga wrote: »
    has caught me out a few times as well, and this from the bank whose great leader Richie boucher wants us to move to a cashless banking!

Being double changed is not a problem for those in the ivory towers. Sure, it will sort it's self out in a few days. Providing you have enough money in the account to live on and don't go overdrawn and get charged for an unauthorised over draft.

Todays Example:

369022.jpg

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

Tow wrote: »

Being double changed is not a problem for those in the ivory towers. Sure, it will sort it's self out in a few days. Providing you have enough money in the account to live on and don't go overdrawn and get charged for an unauthorised over draft.

Todays Example:
    Hi Tow, 

The way in which this transaction you have provided is appearing is down to the way in which the retailer is processing it. Occasionally if the first transaction will not go through on their systems they will break it down into smaller amounts. This is something which the bank has no control over. Apologies for the inconvenience and we will note this for feedback. 

Thanks, 

Evie 

• Advertisement

Todays Example:
    Hi Tow, 

The way in which this transaction you have provided is appearing is down to the way in which the retailer is processing it. Occasionally if the first transaction will not go through on their systems they will break it down into smaller amounts. This is something which the bank has no control over. Apologies for the inconvenience and we will note this for feedback. 

Thanks, 

Evie 
    Hi Evie,

The retailer had no problem in putting through the first transaction. The problem is that the first transaction remained after they split it into two, as their systems shipped two separate parcels and thus charged them separately.  The initial charge will drop off after a few days.  However, customers do not have the use of their money during this time and may become overdrawn, through no fault of their own.  This is just one example of why the Visa Debit system as it stands is not fit for purpose.  It was designed for credit cards, with the credit acting as a buffer before the customer was finally billed on fully cleared items.

I see you did not comment on the Visa Debit card foreign exchange problem. This is a problem fully of BOIs own making. Think of all the queries it would stop if customers saw the full transaction details on their statements. For example, the company name would be nice and not just the exchange rate and extra charges.  After all BOI managed to implemented dropdowns for SEPA transactions, which is more than AIB bothered with.

Remember: Less queries = happier customers = less staff = less costs =  bigger bonus for top management.

Todays Example:
    Hi Tow, 

Thanks, 

Evie 
    Hi Evie,

The retailer had no problem in putting through the first transaction. The problem is that the first transaction remained after they split it into two, as their systems shipped two separate parcels and thus charged them separately.  The initial charge will drop off after a few days.  However, customers do not have the use of their money during this time and may become overdrawn, through no fault of their own.  This is just one example of why the Visa Debit system as it stands is not fit for purpose.  It was designed for credit cards, with the credit acting as a buffer before the customer was finally billed on fully cleared items.

I see you did not comment on the Visa Debit card foreign exchange problem. This is a problem fully of BOIs own making. Think of all the queries it would stop if customers saw the full transaction details on their statements. For example, the company name would be nice and not just the exchange rate and extra charges.  After all BOI managed to implemented dropdowns for SEPA transactions, which is more than AIB bothered with.

Remember: Less queries = happier customers = less staff = less costs =  bigger bonus for top management.
    Hi Tow,

You are correct in what you have said about the second broken down charge, but if the company have put through the transaction twice we do not have control over this. 
    It will usually correct itself within five working days, I understand that this is inconvenient for some. Your transaction for "FARNELL" detailed above would be an example of this.

Your previous example showing the two separate non-euro transaction would be a different situation.

When a non-euro transaction is completed it will leave the account straight away taking up to five working days to fully process. There is a cross boarder handling fee applied which will only show once the transaction is fully processed.

The transaction itself shows as P1411USD2.04 and this how much the goods actually cost. There is a separate cross boarder fee to the transaction amount and its narrative shows as POS CHG USD2

We are sorry to hear you are unhappy with the level of information on your statement. There is only a certain amount of characters available in the transaction narrative and when you do a non-euro transaction we are obliged to provide you with the following information;

-currency used
    -the date the transaction occurred
    -the amount spent and the rate applied to the conversion

Your comment about the drop down menu being available for direct debits, but not for this, will be taken to our online team. Thank you for sharing this. 

If there is anything else you would like to query just let me know. 

Thanks,

Evie 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Red King

This is happening to me a lot lately. Balance on 365online is completely unreliable.

It is making me reconsider using this service at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Sharon

Red King wrote: »
    This is happening to me a lot lately. Balance on 365online is completely unreliable.

It is making me reconsider using this service at all.
    Hi Red King,

Thanks for getting in touch.

As Evie has mentioned above this is due to the way in which the Visa Debit transactions are processed by the retailer. 

We're sorry to hear you're unhappy with this service and we'll certainly pass on your feedback.

Thanks,

Sharon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Red King

Hi Red King,

Thanks for getting in touch.

As Evie has mentioned above this is due to the way in which the Visa Debit transactions are processed by the retailer. 

We're sorry to hear you're unhappy with this service and we'll certainly pass on your feedback.

Thanks,

Sharon

Well then, it is a glaring flaw in the system. It is not good enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭retweet

I'm experiencing the same problem, it's becoming ridiculous at this stage.

Advertisement