Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pop up ads.....

Options
  • 19-11-2015 11:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭

I recently started getting a lot of pop up ads when i'm on various search engines.....nothing offensive but just very annoying. I think I blocked pop ups but they are still happening, even when i'm playing battlefield for example.....

any suggestions as to what to do would be appreciated....

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭jrby

thanks, I have the latest mcfee, and it's set up for regular scans, i'll relook at it tonight to see if there is anything amiss with that

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

Are you using no-script or ublock origin?

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Ant695

Id throw malwarebytes at it. Mcafee is just a good way to slow the system down.

Are you using no-script or ublock origin?

nope, I wasn't aware of them, not very computer literate...I'll give them a go....

• Advertisement

Ant695 wrote: »
    Id throw malwarebytes at it. Mcafee is just a good way to slow the system down.
    thanks, might try this as well....

thanks for the suggestions, it will be tonight before I get a chance to try any....will update you tomorrow if I still need help. thanks again jrby

• Registered Users Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

Sounds like you've got an adware infestation. Happened to me this week when I tried to get an android lollipop upgrade. Had CCleaner and Avast running at the time, interrogated the address before downloading, scanned the file after it was downloaded. Nothing. Gave it the OK to open. CCleaner stayed quiet, Avast had a bit of fit, told me it was shoving this file and that into quarantine ... then let the whole thing through anyway. :mad:

In the end, I did a manual clean (registry, start-up, program files) and let Malwarebytes tidy up what was left of the mess.

jrby wrote: »
    nope, I wasn't aware of them, not very computer literate...I'll give them a go....

Either one will block ads. Only use one I recommend ublock origin extension for your browser.

But others are saying your system might be compromised so ad-blocking isn't going to help with that if the popups are being triggered client-side (from your computer).

Either one will block ads. Only use one I recommend ublock origin extension for your browser.

But others are saying your system might be compromised so ad-blocking isn't going to help with that if the popups are being triggered client-side (from your computer).

He said he thinks he was blocking them already I assume with an adblocker and also sounds more agressive than the usual stuff you'd get at the side of webpages and such without an adblocker.

That's what lead me to believe it's more likely an infection.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭Seán MacSuibhne

I use adblock Edge on Firefox and never have popups or even ads on the pages themselves: even on Youtube!

Seán

• Registered Users Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

Ant695 wrote: »
    He said he thinks he was blocking them already I assume with an adblocker and also sounds more agressive than the usual stuff you'd get at the side of webpages and such without an adblocker.

That's what lead me to believe it's more likely an infection.

Agreed. I use FF's native pop-up blocker and Adblock to keep the rest of them out of my face. What I had the other day bypassed both of them.

Adblock is known to let certain pop ups through (it's their new business model). But it is probably something client side from what OP said.

One other thing I forgot to mention, last night, when I turned on computer and went straight to Picasso without opening up any internet search engines, after about 10 minutes, someone started trying to sell me insurance, there was just sound, no pop up ads or videos.....

I did a CTRL ALT Del but didn't see any unusual programs open.....

I'm beginning to tick the machine is possessed....

I was thinking of searching programs by date and deleting anything from the last two months or so that I don't recognize....

any thoughts on this as well?

If something was making noise check your volume mixer on the bottom right of your screen, it will show the source of sounds via a little icon above it's volume control. Also check your "processes" in your task manager, not just the applications manager.

Definitely more than ads at this point if you had no browser open.

thanks for that...appreciate all the help today

jrby wrote: »
    One other thing I forgot to mention, last night, when I turned on computer and went straight to Picasso without opening up any internet search engines, after about 10 minutes, someone started trying to sell me insurance, there was just sound, no pop up ads or videos.....

I did a CTRL ALT Del but didn't see any unusual programs open.....

I'm beginning to tick the machine is possessed....

I was thinking of searching programs by date and deleting anything from the last two months or so that I don't recognize....

any thoughts on this as well?

I would start with running malwarebytes and even cc cleaner as well and see what they throw up and then if you still have issues and you have a restore point you could roll back to that would be my next suggestion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭johnnybmac

A quick way to remove the most common adware and malware would be Adwcleaner. After that's done, and a reboot, I usually run Malwarebytes (this takes a bit longer)

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭kodistar

Hi there,

As rest have said run malware bytes get rid off mcafee its useless,i also reckon running in safe mode press f8 on start up and run scans through that,also run ccleaner as mentioned above and super antispyware and eset nod online scanner,and then log in and see if it any better.if not report back here and il try give you bit more advice.

Advertisement