Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

David Bowie "Blackstar" video world premiere

Options
  • 19-11-2015 12:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭

The world premiere of Bowie's new 10min video "Blackstar" will debut tonight (19/11/15), simultaniously on Sky Atlantic and Sky Arts 1 at 8.45pm.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

Very weird, big Bowie fan but not that fond of that

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭allap

great video. Very cryptic and dark.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭poundhound

I agree.

I've always loved the way Bowie provides his own backing vocals. There's layers of his vocals on this track.

Roll on 8th Jan, the album release.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭T-Bird

Lazarus out on Friday 18th.
    Iir, there are only 7 tracks on album, 4 already out before it is released. Not sure if I will rush to buy it as I think it is a bit of a rip off.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭coppinger

Hmmmm -- not sure about this, scarecrow s and astronauts in the same video. But at least it's not boring - take note kings of Leon, arctic monkeys and royal blood - not boring

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭T-Bird

• Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭The Cuban

BLACKSTAR

Brilliant, the man is a Genius.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,692 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Maybe its dark as he knew he was dying of cancer?

I am not a fan of DB myself, and imho he hasn't had a good song in many years, but I know others consider him a genius.

RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

absolute beginners (86) was the last decent song he released imo

i'm a Bowie fan but there's been alot of OTT retrospective about him today

Simply for Heroes, he will always be part-genius at least in my mind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,525 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

fryup wrote: »
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

absolute beginners (86) was the last descent song he released imo

Couldn't agree with this after his "The Next Day" album. I just love every track on it.

"Absolute Beginners" whilst being a huge hit is one of the most un-Bowie like songs in my opinion.

Of course it's all subjective.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

yes it is subjective,

my favourite Bowie period is the early 80s lets dance - china girl period, but he confessed in an interview years later he hated.. it was too commercial for his tastes, so there you go

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭poundhound

The man is a God.

There's not an band/artist today that hasn't been influenced by him either directly or indirectly.

The reaction to his death is absolutely justified.

Rock & Roll Royalty.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,005 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

He is a giant of popular music, the reaction is justified. If McCartney or maybe Jagger or Madonna died I'd expect a similar reaction, not many others are at that level of cultural significance. Even if he hadn't had his recent comeback I think the coverage would have been the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,992 ✭✭✭leakyboots

fryup wrote: »
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

absolute beginners (86) was the last decent song he released imo

G'waaaay out of it. Some of Earthling is unbelievable - very much ahead of it's time.

Give the new album a whirl too, very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭trashcan

NIMAN wrote: »
    Maybe its dark as he knew he was dying of cancer?

I am not a fan of DB myself, and imho he hasn't had a good song in many years, but I know others consider him a genius.

RIP

Similarly, wouldn't have considered myself a fan, have none of his stuff, but there is no denying the quality of his output in the 70's - Changes, Jean Genie, Rebel Rebel, Sound & Vision, Heroes, Golden Years, Young Americans, etc etc.

Love the guitar riff in this

Totally agree, he did some great stuff in the 70s.

But that was 4 decades ago.

For the non-DB fan I would say there was a definite drop off in quality in his work. Of course fans will disagree, and music is very sibjective, but thats my opinion anyway.

Advertisement